How to build your own foam pit....cheaply. Lol

PB Forum :: Trail Building
How to build your own foam pit....cheaply. Lol
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 11:16 Quote
I live in Devon, UK.

I am planning on building a foam pit....when the weather gets a bit better!

I am going to put extra long fencing posts into the ground....wrap netting around and fill with 'something'.

Does anybody know where you can get cheap or free foam in south west, England????

Or does anybody have any other cheap ideas of filling the pit???...i was thinking straw?

Thanks...your help would be apprciated!

Craig.

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 11:17 Quote
Try looking for old couches or mattresses sitting around out front of houses and steal the foam from there

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 11:29 Quote
you could use hay but even if you didn't have hayfever you would still have puffy eyes after a day of riding

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 11:48 Quote
lol well i worked this out.... me and a friend were going to make a 1.5m deep x 3m wide 4m long foam pit and were gonna fill it with sponges... It was gonna cost us £200 shipping 150,000 sponges from hong kong which i thought was pretty decent, but it is a summer job and dont let any of the sponge get wet or having animal life i or it will go seriously mouldy and will be bad for your skin

FL
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 11:57 Quote
mattresses, cushions, blankets sheets. we tried with loads of dead leaves once......it didnt work lol

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 12:03 Quote
old army mattresses are an idea, should be able to get them cheap, i have a friend who managed it. They are just bits of foam wrapped in plastic, take off the cover, chop them up and you're away.

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 12:13 Quote
where can you get those from though... it will take a lot of matresses to fill a foam pit like tho... lets say 5ft high 10ftwide and 15 long
thats 750ft^3 and a matress will be about 14ft^3 so thats a hella lotta matresses needed

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 12:18 Quote
make sure you wrap the posts in foam, you dont wanna be nailing one of them!

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 12:20 Quote
ldeere683 wrote:
make sure you wrap the posts in foam, you dont wanna be nailing one of them!

very good point my friend lol

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 12:22 Quote
i think he had a mate in the MOD, the mattresses were getting chucked (recycled or wotever), so he offered a tiny amount of money and got a load. But I dunno how you would go about it unless you know someone, maybe ask around.

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 12:28 Quote
i reckon thats what we are gonna have to do... ill find some army man tho lol and get some!! thanks

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 12:32 Quote
DO NOT USE HAY!! lol if it gets wet either by rain or just condensation is will start to compost in the heat and you'll have a giant mold box!! maybe get caught by the FBI or something for growing like 50 tons of shrooms lol

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 12:37 Quote
Ejg94 wrote:
lol well i worked this out.... me and a friend were going to make a 1.5m deep x 3m wide 4m long foam pit and were gonna fill it with sponges... It was gonna cost us £200 shipping 150,000 sponges from hong kong which i thought was pretty decent, but it is a summer job and dont let any of the sponge get wet or having animal life i or it will go seriously mouldy and will be bad for your skin

That is a very good price, perhaps have wooden side panles and then line the whole thing with pond linning and have a cover for it so it wont fill up if it rains.........

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 12:39 Quote
hmm well the hong kong website was a bit shady lol so we stayed away from it but it was lyk £30 for 20,000 sponges

Posted: Feb 11, 2009 at 11:22 Quote
do u have a link 4 that 20000 sponges webste??? thats a gd price.lol.thanks for all ur ideas....do u think bags of straw would be good??

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018838
Mobile Version of Website