RockShox Vivid 5.1

PB Forum :: Downhill
RockShox Vivid 5.1
O+
Posted: Jul 25, 2011 at 11:16 Quote
Got my Vivid 5.1 2010 on a brand new V-10 last year, had approx 30 days of intense dh ride before the loosing shaft that start unscrewing from the ending stroke rebound eyelet part like in the picture posted. but it never came off, just enough to let some air go in after a while.

So instead of wasting time in the middle of the season, I've went to local shock rebuild shop that can rebuild and custom tune any shock on the planet!
All the internals got replaced with after market parts and much better oil than any RockShox product. Now it's a Vivid 5.1 that works better than original.

For the unscrewing problem, the needle on the rebound cartridge and the valve red knob have been reduced by a hair to properly be able to screw in the shaft into the rebound eyelet. Yes all this at the miracle shop. So I solve the design problem without loosing any ride or time. Oh the PSI is set to 150PSI! works for me since I'm only 146lbs. the shop's been setting up many Vivid like this and none have comeback with problems. Supposedly the 200PSI is a reference for a 180lbs rider. I also have a full year of warranty coverage so no worries.

Posted: Dec 23, 2011 at 15:28 Quote
Hey I have a vivid rc2 off my new glory and I was woundering whats with the air vavle in the piggy back... its covered witha screw but if yuou unscrew it, you cant get at the vavle with an air pump.... any Ideas?

Posted: Dec 24, 2011 at 14:20 Quote
Kona-stinka wrote:
Hey I have a vivid rc2 off my new glory and I was woundering whats with the air vavle in the piggy back... its covered witha screw but if yuou unscrew it, you cant get at the vavle with an air pump.... any Ideas?

It's for a set pressure so don't fiddle with it.

Posted: Dec 24, 2011 at 17:14 Quote
aaaahhh crap... I thought it was like a compression chamber (like marzzochi) and I touched it and a bit of air came out.. anyway to get more in?

Posted: Dec 25, 2011 at 2:41 Quote
My vivid died on my very 1st ride !! rebound damping totally gave up , there was play with in the shock and none of the adjustments worked !!
Sent it back to SRAM took over 3 weeks to get sorted but now it feels great and have had no issues what so ever in 5 months I have had it back.
Fingers crossed it stays this was because I love the shock .

Posted: Dec 25, 2011 at 7:17 Quote
Kona-stinka wrote:
aaaahhh crap... I thought it was like a compression chamber (like marzzochi) and I touched it and a bit of air came out.. anyway to get more in?

Air pump and adapter.

Posted: Dec 25, 2011 at 11:44 Quote
marquis wrote:
Kona-stinka wrote:

Air pump and adapter.
K so I need a adapter from sram or somthing?
Btw thanks for the help guys! Merry Christmas!

Posted: Dec 25, 2011 at 11:47 Quote
is this the air adapter I need?
It dosent look like it would fit though
http://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/air-valve-adapter-tool

Posted: Jun 1, 2014 at 18:32 Quote
dudes , i got my vivid 5.1 like 2 years ago , gone riding some dh on local trails , never had a problem on my 2009 stinky , other friends of mine had 5.1 on horst link - broken after 2 rides then changed the part and broke it again and mine is still fine ; some mechanic said that these shocks are build for wc only and must be serviced a lot and often and said that might be a good ideea to get a spring bearing so the coil wont unscrew the piston off....

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011200
Mobile Version of Website