Avid elixir CR problems

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Avid elixir CR problems
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Feb 14, 2009 at 3:29 Quote
I have Avid Elixir CR (carbon) brakes on both my bikes. They are barely a few months old but both sets have already had similar problems. Most of the problems are minor but the main problem with both sets is the pads really rub and worse still if left in my garage for a few days without riding the brakes jam on. Then I have to remove the wheels and prize the pads back and they seem okay again. Why do the pistons and pads push out of their own accord when left for a few days? I live in Scotland and have had some very cold weather???

Posted: Feb 14, 2009 at 4:13 Quote
It could have been the fluid expanding and contracting? only thing i can think off...

Posted: Feb 14, 2009 at 4:30 Quote
could be sticky pistons causing the pads to not fully retract,pull the disc to one side and pump the lever and vice versa this should help free them up.

Posted: Feb 14, 2009 at 4:34 Quote
ive been having similar problems with my elixir cr's. They came on my session 88 and for some reason both front and rear brakes rub constantly. They have already been broken in and no sort of realignment helps. I personally dont think they have enough power so im gonna try to sell my pair and get me some 09 shimano saint

Posted: Feb 14, 2009 at 4:43 Quote
rmxking17 wrote:
ive been having similar problems with my elixir cr's. They came on my session 88 and for some reason both front and rear brakes rub constantly. They have already been broken in and no sort of realignment helps. I personally dont think they have enough power so im gonna try to sell my pair and get me some 09 shimano saint

i sold my codes as they were a bit um what i can say,anyway im going 09 saint.Salute

O+
Posted: Feb 14, 2009 at 10:06 Quote
Yep I have tried the usual cures but to no avail and I am pretty handy with Avid brakes. I personally really like the feel of them and they seem plenty powerful enough for me. I sold my overpowered codes for them.

As for hydraulic fluid expanding why would it do that in cold weather?

Posted: Feb 14, 2009 at 13:21 Quote
thats weird that theyre expanding like that. my saint brakes did that for a little bit but in hot weather. I just rebled them and they were fine. as for your elixirs id just rebled them

Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 4:01 Quote
duir wrote:
Yep I have tried the usual cures but to no avail and I am pretty handy with Avid brakes. I personally really like the feel of them and they seem plenty powerful enough for me. I sold my overpowered codes for them.

As for hydraulic fluid expanding why would it do that in cold weather?

cold weather can cause the fluid to stiffen up so at a stab in the dark i imagine it will cause some exspansion.

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2009 at 12:46 Quote
Well with a bit of TLC I got the back brake back to normal and with only a tiny un-noticeable drag but as I started work on the front I noticed this!
photo

Looks like my dragging front brake may have a new reason for acting up.

Posted: Feb 16, 2009 at 14:27 Quote
duir wrote:
Well with a bit of TLC I got the back brake back to normal and with only a tiny un-noticeable drag but as I started work on the front I noticed this!
photo

Looks like my dragging front brake may have a new reason for acting up.

what in the hell hub is that.???

Posted: Feb 16, 2009 at 22:53 Quote
what did you front wheel case and how many beers did you consume this winter Razz . atleast its not a deemax hub, was riding with some one that broke theres casing a jump

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2009 at 23:20 Quote
marquis wrote:
rmxking17 wrote:

i sold my codes as they were a bit um what i can say,anyway im going 09 saint.Salute
i hope you guys know, to run the saint brakes, you need a shimano center lock hub,because all their rotors are center lock system, inless you find some old shimano bolt on rotors

Posted: Feb 16, 2009 at 23:23 Quote
nyterider wrote:
marquis wrote:
rmxking17 wrote:

i hope you guys know, to run the saint brakes, you need a shimano center lock hub,because all their rotors are center lock system, inless you find some old shimano bolt on rotors
they still make old 6 bolt rotors for the old saint stuff.

Posted: Feb 17, 2009 at 2:23 Quote
hashmire wrote:
nyterider wrote:
marquis wrote:

some people never do there homework before posting,and yes i got the saint hubs anyways as there bloody good hubs for the money.

O+
Posted: Feb 17, 2009 at 8:33 Quote
marquis wrote:
hashmire wrote:
nyterider wrote:

some people never do there homework before posting,and yes i got the saint hubs anyways as there bloody good hubs for the money.
umm, if that is directed at me, I have done my homework. Go to your lbs and look up saint products.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015560
Mobile Version of Website