How do i remove a fully tensioned chain without using the link remover

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
How do i remove a fully tensioned chain without using the link remover
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 13:35 Quote
alright my chain is fully tensioned and i wana throw some new tires on , but i cant get the chain off the sprocket/ cog. and i dont really wana break the chain cuz i doubt id be able to get it back on. helppp plz

Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 13:37 Quote
whistlerfreerider420 wrote:
alright my chain is fully tensioned and i wana throw some new tires on , but i cant get the chain off the sprocket/ cog. and i dont really wana break the chain cuz i doubt id be able to get it back on. helppp plz

do you run gears, or single speed?

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 13:38 Quote
welldo you have horizontal or vertical dropouts?

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 13:38 Quote
i asume your talking about a SS chain? it is completely possible to get your rear wheel off without touching the chain. slide the chain off the sprocket and rear cog then you will have extra slack to get the rear wheel off

Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 13:40 Quote
devin- wrote:
i asume your talking about a SS chain? it is completely possible to get your rear wheel off without touching the chain. slide the chain off the sprocbutket and rear cog then you will have extra slack to get the rear wheel off

sry , yes its a ss chain with horizontal dropouts.but the chains so damn tight unno how i can remove it from the sprocket or cog. any methods to try?

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 13:42 Quote
so you cant loosen the axle and push it forward a tiny bit to get some slack?

Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 13:43 Quote
srhrider07 wrote:
so you cant loosen the axle and push it forward a tiny bit to get some slack?

no Frown , the wheels slammed , n the chains tighter then fat chick in tna pants

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 13:45 Quote
well the only other way I see that you could get it off is to take your chainring bolts off, or better yet get a chain tool.

Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 13:48 Quote
srhrider07 wrote:
well the only other way I see that you could get it off is to take your chainring bolts off, or better yet get a chain tool.

thx for all the help man , and i cant remove my chainring without removing the cranks. i guess ill break the chain n fight with it till its back on

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 13:51 Quote
well you dont need to fight to get it back on. All you have to do it put the chain back together and put it around the back cog. Then get one link of the chain and put it on the top of ur front sprocket to grab a tooth then turn ur crank, the chain will glide right on to the sprocket.

Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 14:48 Quote
srhrider07 wrote:
well you dont need to fight to get it back on. All you have to do it put the chain back together and put it around the back cog. Then get one link of the chain and put it on the top of ur front sprocket to grab a tooth then turn ur crank, the chain will glide right on to the sprocket.

alright , tires n tubes are changed , chains back together. prob is that when i turn the cranks the chain gets stuck on 1 of the teeth n seems like it will break if i turn it any more. i also have the bumpy part of the chain facing inwards , hope this helps

Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 15:25 Quote
obviously the chains to tight , but it was on b4 with the slammed tire etc... so wtf

can any1 help ? or .....

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 16:30 Quote
Best option is to get another link.

But if you have no other option and really need your bike and you put the chain together properly. You can force it past the point where it seems like it will break. You will get a scratch on your chainring though and run the possibility of bending a tooth. But a scratch is all you should get.

Note: I would highly not recommend this to anyone who has anycare of there stuff and has extra time. But if you are out of options, this should work, I've done it.

But if you can get an extra link, GET THE EXTRA LINK.

Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 17:38 Quote
ciszewski wrote:
Best option is to get another link.

But if you have no other option and really need your bike and you put the chain together properly. You can force it past the point where it seems like it will break. You will get a scratch on your chainring though and run the possibility of bending a tooth. But a scratch is all you should get.

Note: I would highly not recommend this to anyone who has anycare of there stuff and has extra time. But if you are out of options, this should work, I've done it.

But if you can get an extra link, GET THE EXTRA LINK.

lol thx , but i got the chain on with your 2nd idea b4 i even read this post. no bent teeth n if theres a new scratch i dont see it cuz the wear n tear from being riden hides it

-thx alot to all who helped

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010255
Mobile Version of Website