Building a Bowl, worth it?

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Building a Bowl, worth it?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 16, 2009 at 13:01 Quote
I was out building yesterday, and found a big hole in the ground, next to the trail. It is about 6 ft tall on one side, and 4 on the other, the flat space in the bottom is about 5 ft across.

I was thinking about the possiblility of widening it up and makeing both sides almost 8 ft tall. Now, this would take some work, probably two full days worth. My questions are:

Will it be worth it to have a little bowl we can session?
What should the demensions be?
And does anyone have any pictures of one of your own, any advice?

I will be riding it on my 4 inch travel dirtjumper, and my 8 inch travel freeride bike.

Thanks,
Wil

Posted: Feb 16, 2009 at 13:07 Quote
djman22 wrote:
Its a great idea, especially if you have help and stuff, they are really fun, hard to maintain, because they fill with water, but super fun, mine has a run in and 3 sides of "bowl", haven't fully finished it but its fun, and all the dirt we used for our jumps came from there, so its a big bounus.

For drainage, I was just going to bury a PVC pipe on the lowest point, draing out the backside. Would this work?

Posted: Feb 16, 2009 at 13:15 Quote
djman22 wrote:
it might, but water always has to run downhill, so it could be hard to get a deeper hole. If you really want to make this happen, I would bury a bunch of large barrels. deeper than the bowl. and have the drainage pipes flow into those. Have a drain at the bottom, for when you want to empty them. That way, when it rains, the barrels only fill up with water from the bowl. Because if you have another deeper hole, it will tend to fill up with other water, not just the bowl's water. Just an idea. Either that or just wait till it dries up. Thats what I do.

That's a good idea. The only reason I think mine would work is becqause its on the side of the hill, so on the backside, its downhill. I'm taking some photos tomorrow.

Posted: Feb 16, 2009 at 19:33 Quote
Any one have some recomended demensions?

Posted: Feb 16, 2009 at 19:36 Quote
Whats the bare minimum to have fun and still get air?

Posted: Feb 16, 2009 at 19:43 Quote
djman22 wrote:
suicidedownhiller wrote:
Whats the bare minimum to have fun and still get air?
well the minimum I would say just a quarter pipe, about 5' tall. And if you want a full bowl, At least 8' in diameter.
Alright, thanks, that's what I was thinking. I'm trying for 10 or 12

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2009 at 19:54 Quote
Could you please post some pics... before and after. I'm super interested in this project, might be something I wanna build at home... have fun digging!

Posted: Feb 17, 2009 at 15:42 Quote
My friend and I built a decent half pipe a while back and it is so much fun but it's a hella lot of digging and maintenance. Pictures would be awesome. I would say go for it.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011869
Mobile Version of Website