How often does a hub need new bearings?

PB Forum :: Downhill
How often does a hub need new bearings?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 9:39 Quote
I got my bike, a 2008 Kona Stinky, for Christmas in 2008. Since the beginning of February, I have ridden the bike around 12 hours per week, and in January, I rode it for about 5-7 hours per week. Recently, I have noticed some roughness from the hubs. I think I may need new bearings, but the bike is only 2 months old. Do I need new bearings, or could it be another part causing the bad feel?

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 9:43 Quote
AlCapone wrote:
I got my bike, a 2008 Kona Stinky, for Christmas in 2008. Since the beginning of February, I have ridden the bike around 12 hours per week, and in January, I rode it for about 5-7 hours per week. Recently, I have noticed some roughness from the hubs. I think I may need new bearings, but the bike is only 2 months old. Do I need new bearings, or could it be another part causing the bad feel?
depends on how rough you are on them.
if your running DH non stop chances are...
what hubs are they? stock deore hubs?

to diagnose the problem... take the chain off the cassette.
spin the cranks, if they are stuff it's the BB
spin the freewheel, if it is stiff then you probly need a grease job
then spin the entire rear wheel, if IT is stiff then your hub is screwed...
chances are you could fix it, but if it's a cheap stock hub I would just go ahead and upgrade it to something better and stronger.

also, debris can cause problems so clean the drivetrain as best as you can.

just my2 cents
hope that helps a bit

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 9:47 Quote
Thanks for the help. The rear hub is a Deore hub and the front hub is a KK Disc 20mm.

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 9:54 Quote
Have a look at the rear hub. Its not a sealed cartridge bearing hub. That might be the reason why its not too smooth. Quite easy to service. That said though, both hubs are of pretty poor quality.

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 9:55 Quote
undercoverfreak wrote:
Have a look at the rear hub. Its not a sealed cartridge bearing hub. That might be the reason why its not too smooth. Quite easy to service. That said though, both hubs are of pretty poor quality.
I know both of them are shit hubs. I'm going to have a good look at them later.

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 9:58 Quote
if you plan on upgrading but dont want to spend assloads of money go with a lower end formula... I might get flamed for telling you that though, but I LOVE my new formula. laced it to a mavic 325 via DT swiss spokes.

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 10:02 Quote
Consider me your first flamer!

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wheels/Hub/formula/basic-front-and-rear-hubs/PRD_352138_127crx.aspx

If you want a relatively inexpensive hub look into Nuke Proof Generator hubs.

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 10:46 Quote
undercoverfreak wrote:

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wheels/Hub/formula/basic-front-and-rear-hubs/PRD_352138_127crx.aspx

I was looking at Nuke Proof, but I'm just going to stick to the stock hubs until they completely f*ck up.

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 16:07 Quote
Well, I do believe there is something wrong with my hub. I took the QR skewer out and when I spin the actual axle assembly it doesn't spin as smooth as it should.

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 16:14 Quote
undercoverfreak wrote:

nah by flame I meant be like 90% of PB and say I'm a worthless piece of shit who's opinion doesn't matter to anyone.
Being civil like that is appreciated.

And in all honesty I take people who I know more seriously than some random people on a mtb review site. I've had good experience with my hub(it's a DH hub btw), so I'll keep it till I break it then upgrade. =P

but yea if you can direct him to something better then go for it.

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 16:17 Quote
dude its still winter so depending in where you live they salt the roads that can screw your bearings

O+
Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 16:18 Quote
This is a good opportunity to learn how to rebuild the hub. That hub uses a cup/cone system, with loose ball bearings.

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 16:19 Quote
Hombre3000 wrote:
This is a good opportunity to learn how to rebuild the hub. That hub uses a cup/cone system, with loose ball bearings.
I've rebuilt the hub on my POS beater. I was debating rebuilding this hub but I'm not sure if I want to risk screwing it up more.

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 16:23 Quote
AlCapone wrote:

i got my brand new 08 stinky and within a week i needed new bearings in the bak hub .... it was all covered with warranty but it was just a pain in the but

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009666
Mobile Version of Website