How often does a hub need new bearings?

PB Forum :: Downhill
How often does a hub need new bearings?
Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 16:24 Quote
lgnut123 wrote:
AlCapone wrote:
I got my bike, a 2008 Kona Stinky, for Christmas in 2008. Since the beginning of February, I have ridden the bike around 12 hours per week, and in January, I rode it for about 5-7 hours per week. Recently, I have noticed some roughness from the hubs. I think I may need new bearings, but the bike is only 2 months old. Do I need new bearings, or could it be another part causing the bad feel?

i got my brand new 08 stinky and within a week i needed new bearings in the bak hub .... it was all covered with warranty but it was just a pain in the but
Shitty hub. I'm not sure if I want to rebuild it or buy a new one.

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 16:25 Quote
AlCapone wrote:
lgnut123 wrote:
AlCapone wrote:
I got my bike, a 2008 Kona Stinky, for Christmas in 2008. Since the beginning of February, I have ridden the bike around 12 hours per week, and in January, I rode it for about 5-7 hours per week. Recently, I have noticed some roughness from the hubs. I think I may need new bearings, but the bike is only 2 months old. Do I need new bearings, or could it be another part causing the bad feel?

i got my brand new 08 stinky and within a week i needed new bearings in the bak hub .... it was all covered with warranty but it was just a pain in the but
Shitty hub. I'm not sure if I want to rebuild it or buy a new one.

i wasnt too impressed ... but it is stock and now its working fine so for now im gonna stick with it

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 16:32 Quote
undercoverfreak wrote:
Consider me your first flamer!

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wheels/Hub/formula/basic-front-and-rear-hubs/PRD_352138_127crx.aspx

If you want a relatively inexpensive hub look into Nuke Proof Generator hubs.

I can't find any of the Nuke Proof in 10mm axle for the rear...do you know if they make em? maybe i'm just not looking in the right places?

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 16:35 Quote
bkraft wrote:
undercoverfreak wrote:
Consider me your first flamer!

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wheels/Hub/formula/basic-front-and-rear-hubs/PRD_352138_127crx.aspx

If you want a relatively inexpensive hub look into Nuke Proof Generator hubs.

I can't find any of the Nuke Proof in 10mm axle for the rear...do you know if they make em? maybe i'm just not looking in the right places?
chainreactioncycles.com

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 16:37 Quote
Blank Stare they only have em in 12mm...well maybe i need to change rear derailleurs lol. I have the old saint 10mm.

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 16:39 Quote
If I do get a new rear hub, what should I get? I want to spend $100 or less.

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 17:02 Quote
transition has some for 100
fireeye has some nice stuff
hope is popular but no clue about price

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 17:12 Quote
Unhallowed wrote:
transition has some for 100
fireeye has some nice stuff
hope is popular but no clue about price
Hope is too expensive. What about NSbikes.

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 17:47 Quote
So I was looking at the NS Coaster MkII Pro, the older Saint (M800), or a Sun Ringle hub (I forget which one but it was $75.00 off of Chainreactioncycles.com). Which one is best?

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 17:50 Quote
Completely different hubs. Also, what bike is it going on?

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 18:05 Quote
undercoverfreak wrote:
Completely different hubs. Also, what bike is it going on?
My Stinky. I think the NS is more of a DJ hub whereas the Saint and the Sunn are DH/FR.

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 18:06 Quote
Plus the NS is a freecoaster judging by the name. The old saint has loose ball bearings and is quite heavy. I would go for the sun ringle.

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 18:10 Quote
NS also has a Coaster DH. What is the alternative to loose ball bearings, sealed bearings?

Posted: Feb 22, 2009 at 18:21 Quote
I'm super confused right now. I have a book on bike maintenance which tells how to rebuild a hub but it only shows ball bearings on the non-drive side. Are there bearings on the drive side, and how would you replace the bearings on a sealed bearing hub?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008363
Mobile Version of Website