The Perfect Berm/Wall Ride

PB Forum :: Trail Building
The Perfect Berm/Wall Ride
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 at 8:12 Quote
There aren't any good places to ride dirt jumps where I live so I started making my own. I have to admit I don't know a whole lot about what I'm doing but I'm having a good time doing it. The current setup is a start ramp then two tables then a berm and then some tiny rollers that lead you back to the start ramp. I'm starting to see that you can't get enough speed with the current setup so I'm going to take out the second table and move the first one down further and then put the other table where the rollers are. I have been given a unique opportunity to make the berm out of concrete with the family business. The berm will be made in several sections from a mold that I will build so I can make some really precise dimensions and shapes. Any advice on what exactly that shape should be would be greatly appreciated. For example, what should the radius be, what should the minimum height be, should I make it at a 45 degree angle, are 180 degree berms perfect circles or are they bent in certain sections? I don't think I can make it over 4 feet tall due to the weight of the blocks. Also It would be nice if it were easy to throw some pedal cranks in if you come off the first table too slow to hit the second table. Thanks for reading.

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 at 8:22 Quote
just make a rollin and a 6 pack , put plywood over the gap till ur ready. it helps when ur not stairing at a big gap while jumping.

make sure the jumps are like 10ft approx apart , and make some jumps dug into the ground so u can just pump n clear it without pedaling.

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 at 9:48 Quote
Ok for the berm its best if the shape of the curve is the same all the way round like a circle its smoother like that. As far as the radius is concerned you can make it as tight or wide as you like depending on how much space you have and how fast you hit it.If you not going that fast then you should make it tighter, you would loose speed if it was to long. For the height 4ft will be high enough for sure. The steepness will depend on how tight and how much speed you have, I make my berms almost vertical so you dont slide and loose speed.

Posted: Feb 28, 2009 at 12:18 Quote
photo

photo

These are the first set of plans. I have a feeling that the final product won't be that big but we'll see. The radius at the top of the ramp is 10ft and the bottom is 7.7ft. The ramp angle is 60 degrees and I'll fill in the sides and bottom with some dirt so that it will be nice and smoothe

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009357
Mobile Version of Website