Photo Protection

PB Forum :: Biking Photos
Photo Protection
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 4:16 Quote
Hi guys,

I was at Chicksands at the weekend, taking some shots with my new camera Smile A few guys asked me if I was putting them up on the web, which I am more than happy to do. But how can I protect my photos so people can't steal them!? I don't mind people using them for personal use, but within reason!

I’ve seen a lot of people putting signatures on the photographs, I don't have Photoshop, how can I do this without taking forever (I have 100+ pictures!?)?

Thanks for you help!
Camera

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 8:47 Quote
host em somewhere that clearly displays a creative commons license, like flickr for example. a digital water mark is another method, but applying a CC license at the source gives you a solid legal basis if someone breaks the license and uses your work without your permission, or in a way the license doesn't allow.

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 8:50 Quote
I am a professional stock photographer, and to tell you the truth, if you get deeply into it, watermarking will have no effect because

you have no model release for the said person, so technically the own the copy right to an image of them selves, however, if you simply dont want ppl printing your image, how about uploading a small low quality version, then if somebody wants the full copy they can email you

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 8:58 Quote
^ not true. fair use comes into play 99% of the time unless you're setup in a studio or rented a location that isn't public.

cc licensing is the best method and gives you a very real course of action when someone steals your work.

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 9:25 Quote
attack11 wrote:
^ not true. fair use comes into play 99% of the time unless you're setup in a studio or rented a location that isn't public.

cc licensing is the best method and gives you a very real course of action when someone steals your work.
Totally, Perhaps it's different in Britain. Here, Photos taken at a public event are fair game.

If you have a significant amount of people asking you for photos, Consider starting up a Flash based website..

Click

I purchased mine to sell photos from the local DH race circuit, It pays for itself and my gas for the series.

$20 a month, No one can take you photos (Flash limitations), Paypal compatible, Unlimited uploads. I'm super happy with mine.

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 12:04 Quote
Flickr allow you to set it up so no one can download the image; all you get is a one pixel image.

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 15:37 Quote
does it really matter if your not making a living out of it?

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 16:33 Quote
Termenaitor wrote:

That is up to the photographer; I rarely ever place my paid work on the net unless the client says its not a problem.

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 19:30 Quote
Termenaitor wrote:

yeah. i shoot as a hobby and having a request to publish my shots feels pretty damn good.

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 1:38 Quote
Thanks for all your help and advice guys... I doubt I will protect my photos at first (just having people approaching me to ask about my photos was pretty awesome...) but adventually I'd like to get paid for my work (isn't it any photographers dream!?)- so it's all useful information.

Out of interest, how many of you use programmes like Photoshop to touch up a picture, and who just leaves your images as they are? It's not a dig, I was just debating using photoshop- but I guess my aim is to get the best picture possible without playing around with it at all...?

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 4:17 Quote
shoot raw and use acr (adobe camera raw) or capture one to process the raws; then photoshop for final post processing.

lightroom is an ok alternative, kinda limiting and you still might want photoshop in the end.

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 8:37 Quote
Best rule of course is to always get it right in the camera, But honestly I haven't seen one single photo in my lifetime that couldn't use a tweak here and there. People forget that back in the film days pro's used to shoot magazine covers with slide film, and after hours in the darkroom, manually enhance certain aspects of the frame. Later they were scanned and edited in early versions of photoshop. Having said that, Does that mean you should photochop pictures of Marlon Brando into all of you shots? Not likely.

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 8:41 Quote
Google could answer this question for you in 5 minutes.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011290
Mobile Version of Website