Scam or not?

• Previous Page
Posted: Feb 28, 2009 at 17:54 Quote
alright, so i'm selling my bike for $175 on craigslist. i get this email.

[Quoten]Kawasaki 20" Team Issue BMX - $150 (Barrie Ontario Canada)

Hi,
I'm interested in Purchasing. Is it still available?
Thanks
Steve[/Quoten]

I reply back asking were he lives and everything and i get this back..

[Quoten]Hi,
I am leaving this morning for Vancouver before I head to the U.K on Sunday. Can you send me you name and address where I can send a bank draft? I'll pick it up when I arrive next week.
Steve[/Quoten]

A bank draft is a cashiers check, right? whats the danger of this, if i get the check first, cash it, then give the bike to this guy?

Posted: Feb 28, 2009 at 18:01 Quote
say cash only and pick up no cashier checks or western uniion shit

O+
Posted: Feb 28, 2009 at 18:30 Quote
Hmm...I don't know. I have a red flag going off...He never mentions the product name, other than copy/pasting the title from your listing. Thats a pretty big give-away, but I'm not entirely sure. Just proceed with caution, and like tacobell123 said, don't use any crazy money-transfer methods.

O+
Posted: Feb 28, 2009 at 20:06 Quote
A bank draft can be forged just like anything else, but it's just like cash.

For example, a $1000 bank draft is like a $1000 bill.

Posted: Feb 28, 2009 at 20:08 Quote
ocsrider wrote:

yeah, i understand that. but is it common that they are forged?

O+
Posted: Feb 28, 2009 at 20:10 Quote
odin333 wrote:
ocsrider wrote:

Nope.

O+
Posted: Feb 28, 2009 at 20:19 Quote
Transactions should first only be done with cash...... If you are shipping an item then I would use PayPal. It is safe for both parties. That is it!

And yes it is a scam!

Posted: Feb 28, 2009 at 20:29 Quote
odin333 wrote:
ocsrider wrote:

Its common enough. Any time someone offers to pay in "paper" money, caution should be observed. I don't mind money orders from the post office because they're standard in their appearance. Bank drafts differ from bank to bank so they are easier to forge and get away with before anyone spots them.

The fact that the guy wants to execute a transaction before he leaves is kind of suspicious to me. If it were a super rare item I could understand, but a run of the mill bicycles doesn't strike me as that. Most people would be concerned that you aren't going to bugger off with the money. The fact that he want to send a bank draft and still come and pick up the item raises another red flag.

I would keep looking.

Posted: Apr 17, 2009 at 13:50 Quote
How does paypal cover both parties? Im not sure as Ive not done much buying through pinkbike? Any light on this would be a big help

Posted: Apr 17, 2009 at 14:13 Quote
Paypal covers both parties by creating an account between the buyer and seller. Firstly the buyer puts the money in paypal then paypal confirms to the seller that the money is valid, then the seller posts the bike, when the buyer confirms that the bike has arrived the seller receives the money. I think that's how it works.

Posted: Apr 17, 2009 at 15:42 Quote
what about c.o.d how does that work

Posted: Apr 27, 2009 at 21:37 Quote
COD means you pay only when you receive the item. It is safe since you actually have something in your hand (as long as its what they said it was). Paypal has some protection against scams, but only over a minimum and up to a maximu - it usually takes a real long time to get your money back ....

Posted: Apr 27, 2009 at 21:39 Quote
PS - money orders from Big 5 Canadian banks or a Credit Union are not easy to forge. Most of the scams are done with US or "international" certified cheques ....

Posted: Apr 27, 2009 at 21:41 Quote
Looks like those spam messages i get from craigslist ads..the usually my representative will send you a cashiers check blablabla

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011607
Mobile Version of Website