Hayes 9 not working

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Hayes 9 not working
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 1, 2009 at 12:46 Quote
Well as the title says... My Hayes 9 is not working Frown

Ive bled the brake. Nothing.

You can pull the lever all the way and get f*ck all pressure. Theres no resistance in the lever. Its as if its not even attached.

I spoke to a mechanic and he said there are frequent cases of the master cylinder going... (Going where? Razz ) Any ideas?

Your contributions will be appreciated.

Posted: Mar 1, 2009 at 12:49 Quote
Sounds stupid but are your piston intact? Mine Cracked and crumble. Also check for damaged seals in the Lever and Caliper

Posted: Mar 1, 2009 at 17:53 Quote
Could be any number of things, from a bad hose to a worn out seal somewhere. May be better off just upgrading rather than spending the money to try to fix it.

Posted: Mar 1, 2009 at 17:59 Quote
I would agree that you should upgrade, if thats not an option then to me it sounds like there is a hole in the hose somewhere ( can be very hard to spot ). But Hayes have a reputation for being a "hit or miss" kinda deal, as I know from experience.

Posted: Mar 1, 2009 at 18:04 Quote
I will second that. I've had pretty good luck with them, but I know other people that would pay you to take them away because all they are is trouble for them.

Posted: Mar 1, 2009 at 18:18 Quote
Thirded. Ive gone through various parts on two pairs of Nines over the years. When I built a bike up at the end of 07 I went with hope motos and braided hoses. all ive done in 15 months (and 3 weeks in whistler) is change pads. Good luck whether you fix or replace.

Posted: Mar 1, 2009 at 18:18 Quote
I had a similar problem a while back. Replaced all the small parts one after the other, and eventually gave up trying to fix it. Bought another because they had been fine up to that point.

Posted: Mar 2, 2009 at 1:20 Quote
Well I think I may upgrade. I'll see what the local bike shop says and if it sounds like hassle I might just get a whole new brake.

Posted: Mar 2, 2009 at 2:23 Quote
LMAO I just clicked that in my ICT lesson Razz

Good call haha

Posted: Mar 2, 2009 at 2:50 Quote
haroman666 wrote:
Well as the title says... My Hayes 9 is not working Frown

Ive bled the brake. Nothing.

You can pull the lever all the way and get f*ck all pressure. Theres no resistance in the lever. Its as if its not even attached.

I spoke to a mechanic and he said there are frequent cases of the master cylinder going... (Going where? Razz ) Any ideas?

Your contributions will be appreciated.

He means the master cylinder is worn out/dead/broken/etc... that's most likely what the problem is, other than you having hayes nines in the first place. Its not an expensive fix, around $25. If you have the extra cash, you're better off ditching the hayes and getting avids.

Posted: Mar 2, 2009 at 3:09 Quote
hayes brakes are really user friendly mate strip each part down and have a good look at everything carefully. chances are it is your master cylinder. how old are your brakes` are your hoses leaking anywhere` have you ever bled your system` do the pads have any meat on them?

oh an ignore the guy who said buy avids instead of hayes coz unless you can afford the juicy 7`s of codes then hayes are much much better Helmet

Posted: Mar 2, 2009 at 3:18 Quote
matty-dh wrote:
hayes brakes are really user friendly mate strip each part down and have a good look at everything carefully. chances are it is your master cylinder. how old are your brakes` are your hoses leaking anywhere` have you ever bled your system` do the pads have any meat on them?

oh an ignore the guy who said buy avids instead of hayes coz unless you can afford the juicy 7`s of codes then hayes are much much better Helmet

u think they are user friendly
they might be easy to take apart but bleeding is a bithch
there is only one shop in our area that will touch hayes becasue the are a pain to bleed

with your break problem it sound like a bad line
just run your hand down the line and see if u get and oil on your hand

Posted: Mar 2, 2009 at 4:26 Quote
jonmiller wrote:
matty-dh wrote:

u think they are user friendly
they might be easy to take apart but bleeding is a bithch
there is only one shop in our area that will touch hayes becasue the are a pain to bleed

with your break problem it sound like a bad line
just run your hand down the line and see if u get and oil on your hand

you can bleed hayes 9`s with your eyes shut fella really easy all you need is a bleed kit..... use a syringe instead of the little bottle an hey presto!!!

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2009 at 5:44 Quote
problems with nine's are easy to fix... here's what you do...

1) remove brake from bicycle
2) purchase new brake that doesn't say hayes on it
3) take pride in your surperb mechanic abilities

hayes are nothing but trouble... the only thing sillier than having them, is sinking more money into them when they break (BREAK, not BRAKE because they don't work)

Posted: Mar 2, 2009 at 9:24 Quote
matty-dh wrote:

Anything from a Juicy 5 and up is going to be better than a Hayes nine, end of story.

Hayes brakes are certainly not what I would consider user friendly, they are just simple; yes, there is a difference.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012010
Mobile Version of Website