.NORTHSTAR bike park/ski resort. *specific forum*

PB Forum :: USA - West
.NORTHSTAR bike park/ski resort. *specific forum*
Posted: May 25, 2017 at 22:08 Quote
Opening for the weekend of the 16th and then full time starting on the 23rd... posted in the facebook events for northstar!

Posted: May 25, 2017 at 22:20 Quote
falkyn wrote:
Opening for the weekend of the 16th and then full time starting on the 23rd... posted in the facebook events for northstar!
All lifts will be open full-time before July 1st. 16th will just be trails like Easy Rider, Mineshaft, etc...

Posted: May 29, 2017 at 22:26 Quote
Hey guys. Looking to go up to Northstar this summer as I have the past two summers, which I enjoyed a lot. One issue I have is I don't really have an adequate park bike, so I usually end up renting one from their demo fleet, which cost a fortune and they totally rip you off (sorry if anyone on here works for N* or if I offend you, but almost $400 per day for a beat up DH bike? Really? Not planning on going for more than one day at a time this year so the multi-day deals no longer work for me). I'm curious if anyone knows of or has tried renting an enduro or DH bike from a rental shop in the greater tahoe area for less and then taking it to the park?
Thanks.

Posted: May 29, 2017 at 23:14 Quote
It's better just to rent a bike from an Lbs. Tahoe overhead is passed directly to the consumer. If anything maybe try the backcountry in Donner.

Posted: May 30, 2017 at 18:33 Quote
bridgermurray wrote:
Hey guys. Looking to go up to Northstar this summer as I have the past two summers, which I enjoyed a lot. One issue I have is I don't really have an adequate park bike, so I usually end up renting one from their demo fleet, which cost a fortune and they totally rip you off (sorry if anyone on here works for N* or if I offend you, but almost $400 per day for a beat up DH bike? Really? Not planning on going for more than one day at a time this year so the multi-day deals no longer work for me). I'm curious if anyone knows of or has tried renting an enduro or DH bike from a rental shop in the greater tahoe area for less and then taking it to the park?
Thanks.

400 per day seems a little exaggerated... however i would agree about checking into local shops... not sure what bikes they are going to have to rent though...

Posted: Jun 5, 2017 at 17:13 Quote
bridgermurray wrote:
Thanks.

If I remember correctly its $150/day. They had a fresh fleet of bikes last year, Specialized Demos or Scotts,
someone correct me if I'm wrong

Posted: Jun 5, 2017 at 17:15 Quote
Their bikes dont suck. Not the best builds, but if youre renting who cares right??

Posted: Jun 5, 2017 at 17:38 Quote
elimikhail wrote:
Their bikes dont suck. Not the best builds, but if youre renting who cares right??

I found most bike park rental bikes are always in good shape. Usually the tires are what suck.
They usually don't use the top $ tires.

Posted: Jun 5, 2017 at 20:53 Quote
elimikhail wrote:
I've seen unspeakable things from their rental bikes.

Like wheels not tightened and come off on the trail...

I think it's safe to say they suck. The people setting them up are almost all snow bums who work there in winter and just want a summer job.

O+
Posted: Jun 5, 2017 at 21:06 Quote
I remember last summer I cracked my Banshee and they gave a half off discount on a rental bike for a day. That gambler rode and sounded like a shopping cart, the stem bolts weren't even tight when they handed the bike over lol derailleur hanger was bent and you could tell the pivots hadn't seen any love... poor bikes

Posted: Jun 5, 2017 at 21:10 Quote
I dont think 2015 gamblers amd glorys are shitty bikes. Maybe you should rent one of those old big hits with marzocchi shivers and a 24 rear wheel. Its probably cheaper.

Posted: Jun 5, 2017 at 21:23 Quote
Nobble wrote:
elimikhail wrote:
I've seen unspeakable things from their rental bikes.

Like wheels not tightened and come off on the trail...

I think it's safe to say they suck. The people setting them up are almost all snow bums who work there in winter and just want a summer job.
How much use did the sworks demos get last summer?

Posted: Jun 6, 2017 at 7:27 Quote
Yeah my bad, don't remember how I got to 400 a day (totally exaggerated), probably closer to 250 a day because 150 plus tax and their "insurance" policy. I never said the bikes were bad. I rented a gambler last year and enjoyed it thoroughly- all I'm saying is that I'd pay 200 plus dollars for a nice, maintained bike, not a weathered entry-spec DH rig which I doubt they tune up often if at all. Anyway, I'm going to be looking at LBSs in the Tahoe area to see if I can find anything cheaper.

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2017 at 9:19 Quote
Another option would be to demo a YT for free from their office in Reno

Posted: Jun 6, 2017 at 10:00 Quote
2017 YT Tues al

So much stoke right now!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014713
Mobile Version of Website