Wide Bars Or Narrow?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Wide Bars Or Narrow?
Posted: Mar 6, 2009 at 19:53 Quote
my fav width is 27.5 lol i dont mind anything from 26-29 though, wouldnt ride any wider and wouldn't ride any skinnier. If you are used to skinny bars the first couple days on wider bars feels wierd but once you are used to it you will never go back. 27.5-28 is perfect for me

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2009 at 20:03 Quote
Wide for mountain and dirt jumping (~28 ) and narrow for street and park (~24)

Posted: Mar 6, 2009 at 20:32 Quote
I did eat it once because my bar end hit a tree. I threw out the rear end not thinking the front would go the opposite way and I landed in a bad 180.

Wide bars are just as bad as narrow, when over done. Your hands should be slightly wider than your shoulders, maybe 1/2 a fist on either side. That is just a starting point though, some guys like narrower some wider, but it will make a huge differance with the feel of the bike and in your riding. Wider gives a bit more power on the peddals, look at the olympic weight lifters. Narrower bars are a bit quicker and out of the way. If you have never hooked your bar end on a peice of clothing mid trick count yourself lucky. Generally racing you go a bit wider and lower, fun a bit narrower and a bit higher. The hight makes a big differance too but that's another thread. Too narrow and you loose too much control, things get twitchy. Too wide and things are really slow and they get cought on everything. Power without controll is useless.

Posted: Mar 6, 2009 at 20:34 Quote
my bars dont fit threw my doors... i have to turn them sideways haha

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2009 at 20:46 Quote
Wide bars rule. I have had both wide and short. the short bars diminished my confidence hitting jumps, and really rattled my body on the trails. I just stuck on some uncut hussefelts, and my bike feels awesome!

Posted: Mar 6, 2009 at 22:37 Quote
S&M was the ruler of the 28" bar not gt, everyone else just copies there dimensions

rstwosix wrote:
ride66 wrote:
I do have 27 inches bars. Can't understand why are people always going wider and wider.
It's just the latest trend or actually it's a re-run of what we did with BMX race bars in the 1980's. GT and other companies came out with 28" bars and then some of us widened them further with home made knock in plugs up to around 29". The advantage was leverage and control and that's the same reason wide bars are back in now. Super wide bars don't suit everybody though, so trying different widths is the best ticket. I'm running 28.5" bars on my MTB.

Posted: Mar 7, 2009 at 2:44 Quote
DJDrysdale406 wrote:
S&M was the ruler of the 28" bar not gt, everyone else just copies there dimensions

rstwosix wrote:
ride66 wrote:
I do have 27 inches bars. Can't understand why are people always going wider and wider.
It's just the latest trend or actually it's a re-run of what we did with BMX race bars in the 1980's. GT and other companies came out with 28" bars and then some of us widened them further with home made knock in plugs up to around 29". The advantage was leverage and control and that's the same reason wide bars are back in now. Super wide bars don't suit everybody though, so trying different widths is the best ticket. I'm running 28.5" bars on my MTB.
Read my thread agan and check your BMX history facts. I'm talking about the early 1980's when BMX was racing, not dirtjump, street or skatepark. GT, Robinson, Mongoose, Diamondback, Redline, Patterson, SE, Hutch, Profile and many others introduced the first wide bars. S&M came along later in the story.

Posted: Mar 7, 2009 at 5:42 Quote
i think wide bars in park give you way more steeze

Posted: Mar 7, 2009 at 5:49 Quote
jonslater wrote:

haha, i had my deitys at 28 inches before and I would ave to turn them

Posted: Mar 7, 2009 at 6:08 Quote
my deitys are 28.5 inches wide their nice i like them and my brother has blkmrkt badaboom bars and their 29" wide

Posted: Mar 8, 2009 at 15:24 Quote
I remember SnM back in the 80s. GT almost killed them with "help". But that was racing not DJs. Wide bars do nothing for the DJs. I also remember Dave Clymer racing for SnM rocking some pretty narrow bars.

Posted: Mar 8, 2009 at 15:25 Quote
bikerkid13 wrote:
jonslater wrote:

wow you guys have f*cked up doors

Posted: Mar 8, 2009 at 16:28 Quote
xt-shreder wrote:
bikerkid13 wrote:
jonslater wrote:

wow you guys have f*cked up doors
lol

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.027755
Mobile Version of Website