Checkout on the stock P1 '09

PB Forum :: Specialized
Checkout on the stock P1 '09
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 at 7:38 Quote
Ok so spent a good 6 hours shredding DJ's and the black trail up in dalby forest.
The performance of the stock bike overall was good, it's a little on the weighty side but still manages to maintain the air one jump after another.
A few problem areas:
Stock rims: Specialized/Alex P.Disc AM
The rims are ok for beginner riders, they don't handle sketchy landings so well but for freeride/park there not THAT bad like alot of reviews say. I just had my Spank Stiffy's built and there on the bike, they perform a hell of alot better but that's what you'd expect. Still keeping the stock rims for spare just incase I do ever bend my spanks to the extent that they're un-trueable.

Stock Hubs: Specialized Hi Lo's
The hubs are decent, i haven't tested them with my Spank's 'cause i went straight to ProII's which imo are WAY better than any stock hub from specialized. Not much to say about the stock hubs, same as the rims, good for beginner's; not so good for sketchy landings.

Stock Tyre: Specialized Rhythm Lite Control
Overall these are good tyres, i have the maxxi's from my old HT bike but the rythm's seem to perform better. The grip DH gets you through berms + rythm sections no problems. I won't be upgrading these anytime soon.

Stock Pedals: Specialized Alloys
Not such a great pedal, very heavy and not as comfortable as the counter-part plastic pedals + they hurt like hell when slip a foot on a landing, I replaced these inbetween my shred for the Abike Co. Plastic's which save alot of weight + look nicer and don't hurt as much. lol.

Stock BB + Crank: Fuse Euro+Fuse Tubular
The BB+Crank combo works very well, smooth + medium weight, can't really say much more. Above average for a stock set, won't replace anytime soon.

Stock Forks: Marzocchi DJ3
The '09 DJ3's work very well, the rebound is neither fast or slow it's just right, imo anyways. They can take big drops with ease, highest i dropped today was around 11ft and they had no problems eating it up. Very good stock fork imo, won't be replacing anytime soon!

Stock Brakes (rear only): Avid BB5
A good break, didn't use it all that much so not much to report. Won't be replacing it anytime soon although the lever has been replaced with a Odyssey Monolever which were always great anyways.

Overall the stock bike is OK not great but not bad, few things need replacing for weight issues other than that a good buy.
Hope this helps anyone who's looking at buying the '09 P1.

Posted: Mar 4, 2009 at 23:55 Quote
awesome, i will most definatly replace the rims quite quickly cus i ride park and trails alot sooooo they will probably bend :S

but thanks for the tips Big Grin

getting mine on the 20th march which is my birthday and also and inset day so i'll be riding allllll day Razz

Posted: Mar 7, 2009 at 4:51 Quote
kazza0320 wrote:
awesome, i will most definatly replace the rims quite quickly cus i ride park and trails alot sooooo they will probably bend :S

but thanks for the tips Big Grin

getting mine on the 20th march which is my birthday and also and inset day so i'll be riding allllll day Razz

Yeah i have had my p1 just over 2 months now and already it has been into the shop to get the wheel trued...Rims arent too impressive so i will be upgrading next month to Halo SAS Purple Haze rims.. Overall bike is a good bike.. And i have removerd my front brake and changed my 'Fuse' seat to a Federal SL Pivotal..(Good Move)And the stock p1 pedals to Odyssey Plastics twisteds (Orange) The overall changes i have done to my bike have made a lot of difference in the weight..imo anyway..
Definatly worth the purchase..tup

Hope This Helped anyone..

Posted: Mar 7, 2009 at 10:08 Quote
DJ-FR-Ky wrote:
The rims are ok for beginner riders, they don't handle sketchy landings so well but for freeride/park there not THAT bad like alot of reviews say. I just had my Spank Stiffy's built and there on the bike, they perform a hell of alot better but that's what you'd expect. Still keeping the stock rims for spare just incase I do ever bend my spanks to the extent that they're un-trueable.

so true, those rims suck ass, im getting spankl stiffys next month, how do they hold up?

Posted: Mar 7, 2009 at 10:41 Quote
johnrichy wrote:
DJ-FR-Ky wrote:

so true, those rims suck ass, im getting spankl stiffys next month, how do they hold up?

Stiffy's are amazing, i've thrown them about and not event a dent... they're incredibly strong

Posted: Mar 7, 2009 at 10:46 Quote
DJ-FR-Ky wrote:
johnrichy wrote:
DJ-FR-Ky wrote:

Stiffy's are amazing, i've thrown them about and not event a dent... they're incredibly strong
cool, i cant eait till i get tehm, im getting profile MTB hubs for them!

Posted: Mar 7, 2009 at 11:10 Quote
i'm getting stiffys when the stock ones go Big Grin

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 16:06 Quote
Just replaced mt Stiffy's with the Tweet Tweet - Candy Blue, pics coming soon! they're f*ckin sweeeeeeeeeeeet!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007358
Mobile Version of Website