Marzocchi 08 DJ1 - only go down an inch!

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Marzocchi 08 DJ1 - only go down an inch!
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 6, 2009 at 22:06 Quote
ya so my marz DJ1 have been running smooth for a while now and all of a sudden they only go down about 1 inch and they abruptly bottom out. is this a serious problem? should i take it to the shop or is it an easy fix? an advice would be great!
thanks

Posted: Mar 6, 2009 at 22:12 Quote
jv86416 wrote:
ya so my marz DJ1 have been running smooth for a while now and all of a sudden they only go down about 1 inch and they abruptly bottom out. is this a serious problem? should i take it to the shop or is it an easy fix? an advice would be great!
thanks
Mine did that when they blew out.....Check the oil levels first.

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2009 at 22:27 Quote
if they only go down an inch then they cant be bottoming out lol just go huck something huge and they will probably go back to normal.

Posted: Mar 6, 2009 at 22:35 Quote
No its the rebound cartiges in them. They stop working and go like rigid in the dj1 its kind of weird. Go down like not even an inch and just stop.

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2009 at 22:39 Quote
kyleandres wrote:
No its the rebound cartiges in them. They stop working and go like rigid in the dj1 its kind of weird. Go down like not even an inch and just stop.

oah well it wouldnt surprise me. i fucking hate marazochi i craked 2 of their forks in about a month. Madder

Posted: Mar 6, 2009 at 22:43 Quote
the-ultimate-cyclist wrote:
kyleandres wrote:

oah well it wouldnt surprise me. i fucking hate marazochi i craked 2 of their forks in about a month. Madder
ya they went downhill, and the rebound cartridge thing has a SR suntour sticker on them,last time I checked they were on canadian tire bikes lol

Posted: Mar 6, 2009 at 23:08 Quote
thas is how you can fix it and make it a open bath system.

tools needed
drill
1.5mm drill bit
punch
hammer
fork oil

step one drill a 1.5 mm hole 21mm from the bottom of the hexagon nut.
the cartridge will loose pressure.

step two push the shaft inside the cartridge up to its end;comensator piston will be positioned at the end of the tube.

step three puch at 22mm from the bottom of the hexagon nut with a punch and hammer.
pay attention to not damage or bend the tube.

step four make a 1.5mm hole at 35mm from the bottom (above the compensator piston),make the operation very slowly.

step five make a 1.5mm hole at 12mm from the top of the tube.depth of drilling max 4mm.

make sure the carridge is empty and then re-assemble the cartridge in the fork.

fill back up with oil.

the dj forks have the same cartridge as the 55 just shorter travel.

Posted: Mar 11, 2009 at 8:55 Quote
nova66 wrote:

tools needed
drill
1.5mm drill bit
punch
hammer
fork oil

step two push the shaft inside the cartridge up to its end;comensator piston will be positioned at the end of the tube.

step three puch at 22mm from the bottom of the hexagon nut with a punch and hammer.

step four make a 1.5mm hole at 35mm from the bottom (above the compensator piston),make the operation very slowly.

step five make a 1.5mm hole at 12mm from the top of the tube.depth of drilling max 4mm.

fill back up with oil.

hey thanks so much for the instructions!!
i just have two questions -
1. what is the point of step three (why would you use a punch if you can't damage the the tube) ??
2. how much oil should you use in the fork after all of this is done?

thanks again!!!

Posted: Mar 11, 2009 at 8:57 Quote
jv86416 wrote:
thanks

Get some fox hardware! you cant go wrong!

Posted: Mar 11, 2009 at 14:37 Quote
ther is a floating piston in the cart and you need to lock it in place at the bottom of the cart by hitting it with a punch just dont hit so hard that you crush the cart.
think it was 160 cc oil

Posted: Mar 11, 2009 at 16:03 Quote
nova66 wrote:
ther is a floating piston in the cart and you need to lock it in place at the bottom of the cart by hitting it with a punch just dont hit so hard that you crush the cart.
think it was 160 cc oil

okay that makes sense now. thanks again man. the system work beautifully!

Posted: Mar 12, 2009 at 5:06 Quote
jv86416 wrote:
nova66 wrote:
think it was 160 cc oil

okay that makes sense now. thanks again man. the system work beautifully!

So does it work? I need to do the same to my 55's as I discovered that theyre dead yesterday.

Cheers.

Posted: Mar 12, 2009 at 7:40 Quote
yes it dose work if you do it right.i have done this mod to a 55r and the fork is a 100 times better with the open bath over the cart.it make the fork why more plush

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 8:56 Quote
nova66 wrote:

tools needed
drill
1.5mm drill bit
punch
hammer
fork oil

fill back up with oil.

my 2008 dj2 was doing this exact same thing so I figured I would give this a shot. followed the steps and filled the fork back up with 180cc of 15wt oil reassembled it and added some air. It now it goes through its full travel again and feels pretty good. thanks for posting this up here it was very helpful.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009821
Mobile Version of Website