Biking in college

PB Forum :: USA - Rockies & Midwest
Biking in college
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 8, 2009 at 20:49 Quote
After a year or two at junior college I plan on going to a 4 year college/university. I can't see myself spending even a few months away from my mountain bike so I'm looking for a college with trails nearby. I'm from the Chicago area so there are not to many hills out here and I plan on going west of the Mississippi. I also plan to major in engineering if that matters. Thanks for the advice.

Posted: Mar 8, 2009 at 21:16 Quote
U of Idaho is tucked in the western side of Idaho and conveniently located 2 hours south of BC and also 1 hr from Silver Mt which is well known for its DH as well as other lift accessed and shuttle accessed trails nearby. Also, Montana State University in Bozeman is located in southwest Montana nearby to very well known ski resorts who double as lift accessed bike havens in the summer. Bozeman is also a sick ass town with a ton of stuff to do besides biking, so is Moscow, Idaho. Besides the fact that these schools are nearby epic trails they both offer engineering programs that are well known academically. I hope all this helps out, good luck with your hunt.

Posted: Mar 8, 2009 at 21:49 Quote
You are from Chicago? You have Palos right there for XC/AM... unless you were thinking of going bigger.

Posted: Mar 9, 2009 at 11:41 Quote
thefriesz, thanks for the info I'll definitely check those colleges out. How do you know so much , do you go there?

cjf1972, I'm close to Palos and that is pretty much all I ride but seriously, there is bigger and better stuff out there.

Posted: Mar 9, 2009 at 11:54 Quote
orangefreak5 wrote:
thefriesz, thanks for the info I'll definitely check those colleges out. How do you know so much , do you go there?

cjf1972, I'm close to Palos and that is pretty much all I ride but seriously, there is bigger and better stuff out there.
I know... I wish it was closer to us.

O+
Posted: Mar 9, 2009 at 12:03 Quote
Hey
I'm an engineering student at Northern Arizona University. We have excellent mountain biking. Hundreds of miles of xc and am trails accessible from campus without getting in your car. World class downhill that is kept very secret. It is the training grounds for a couple of riders that race the world cup, both xc and 4x/dh .We have a team that competes in the collegiate mountain bike national championships every year including myself. A bike club which does group trips to places like Sedona(featured in a recent MBA issue)bootleg canyon. I know a fair amount of engineering students that ride as well at the school. Each summer there are downhill and xc races. I've been here for 2 years and i haven't come close to having ridden every trail. There are also 3 to 4 dirt jumping venues around town as well as 1 bike only skate park. Moab is only 6 hours, Bootleg canyon is only 3,PHX is on only 2, Angel Fire resort is only 10 hours, sedona 40 minutes, jerome 50 min
http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/~cycling/
if you have more questions just ask

this entire video was shot in the trails just north of campus or 2 hours away in PHX
https://vimeo.com/2458783

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 19:35 Quote
crunat, thanks for all the info and vids, I'll definitely check it out

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 19:50 Quote
Cal Poly San Luis Obispo on the California central coast. Sav as f*ck weather. We can ride all year round and there are tons of places to ride for all styles of riding.

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 20:01 Quote
Dog, come to the University of Utah. It's the natural choice. First off, our football team totally kicks A$S (13-0)and the student section, The MUSS (Mighty Utah Student Section) was voted top 5 by ESPN. But seeing as you're going to be an E major let's move on from that to biking. Salt Lake is the epicenter for anything outdoors, skiing in the winter riding in the summer. All the resorts are about 30 mins from the U. If you climb, it doesn't get any better than SLC, if you don't... well that's why there are bikes. Now I'm not saying we have ANY competition with ANYTHING up in the NS but what we do gave is pretty darn good. Wayyyyyyy too much XC but you've got to stay in shape somehow. A lot of good urban assault, and some pretty sweet jump parks. A lot of real good DH trails, the most of which you can shuttle, and a pretty... Ahem, decent resort in Deer Valley. Not to mention the fact that Moab is about 3.5 hrs away, and Boise is like...6? And BC is...13-14? Don't really know

Scholastically, I have no real idea how good the eng program is at the U, but I have a lot of friends who are GREAT people who are in it.

Come to Utah.

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 20:04 Quote
crunat wrote:
Hey
I'm an engineering student at Northern Arizona University. We have excellent mountain biking. Hundreds of miles of xc and am trails accessible from campus without getting in your car. World class downhill that is kept very secret. It is the training grounds for a couple of riders that race the world cup, both xc and 4x/dh .We have a team that competes in the collegiate mountain bike national championships every year including myself. A bike club which does group trips to places like Sedona(featured in a recent MBA issue)bootleg canyon. I know a fair amount of engineering students that ride as well at the school. Each summer there are downhill and xc races. I've been here for 2 years and i haven't come close to having ridden every trail. There are also 3 to 4 dirt jumping venues around town as well as 1 bike only skate park. Moab is only 6 hours, Bootleg canyon is only 3,PHX is on only 2, Angel Fire resort is only 10 hours, sedona 40 minutes, jerome 50 min
http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/~cycling/
if you have more questions just ask

this entire video was shot in the trails just north of campus or 2 hours away in PHX
https://vimeo.com/2458783

Yeah, but you'd be in Arizona!

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 20:13 Quote
im goin to the U of Montana in missoula next year. biking was one of the main reasons i decided to go there. there is lift assisted biking with downhill 20 mins away from campus for like 4 dollars for a day ticket, pretty hard to beat that. also ungodldy numbers of singletrack around the area, lots of downhill, close to BC, and with a bigger bike park mountains 2 hours away. its a sick school too u should giver a look
www.umt.edu

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 20:23 Quote

who needs biking in college?

haha

im a junior in HS and im starting to look at schools. like bolder and university of vermont/new hampshire

ill deff check out montana aswell.

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 20:24 Quote
pinkdike wrote:
im goin to the U of Montana in missoula next year. biking was one of the main reasons i decided to go there. there is lift assisted biking with downhill 20 mins away from campus for like 4 dollars for a day ticket, pretty hard to beat that. also ungodldy numbers of singletrack around the area, lots of downhill, close to BC, and with a bigger bike park mountains 2 hours away. its a sick school too u should giver a look
www.umt.edu

Yeah, but you'd be in Montana! ...That actually sounds pretty sweet
photo

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 20:26 Quote
I go to Merrimack and North Andover, MA. There are some pretty decent trails around here that we've built up, and we're about an hour away from Highland. Biking in college is easy depending on where you go. Having 3 bikes in your room is not.

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 20:27 Quote
I go to the UW-Platteville. If you are talking about chicago, Ill. its still close. We have some trails out here. about 5 minutes from campus. And we have a good engineering program. Terrible Guy to girl ratio tho.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013075
Mobile Version of Website