Biking in college

PB Forum :: USA - Rockies & Midwest
Biking in college
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 at 19:38 Quote
Ashland looked pretty cool but it was a liberal arts college without a engineering program. I'm now looking at Utah, Colorado, Idaho, and Arizona.

Posted: Mar 11, 2009 at 19:39 Quote
orangefreak5 wrote:
Ashland looked pretty cool but it was a liberal arts college without a engineering program. I'm now looking at Utah, Colorado, Idaho, and Arizona.

Come to Utah bro, it's where the players pray.

O+
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 at 19:40 Quote
orangefreak5 wrote:

look at cal poly...it's the best engineering school to get a degree from...I know I've been in the industry and been told this from everyone

O+
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 at 19:45 Quote
Check out Oregon State University in Corvallis OR. They have a good engineering program with degrees from Forest Engineering to Nuclear Engineering. Its also less than an hour drive to the Black Rock Mountain Bike Association. Check out there pics on Pinkbike. Here is a sample :
photo

Posted: Mar 11, 2009 at 19:54 Quote
orangefreak5 wrote:

It snows in Colorado so no riding in the winter and it'll be cold as tits. Idaho is just lame unless you really like potatoes. Utah and Arizona are the freaking desert. Cal Poly SLO. Tons of shit to ride. The beach is like 10-15 minutes away. Tons of hot chicks. Seriously its the perfect place to go to school. Oh and another plus is that our engineering programs is one of the best in the nation. California is like a different country everyone is just super chill. Seriously why do people live anywhere else?

Posted: Mar 11, 2009 at 19:59 Quote
Isn't SLO supposedly really hard to get into, I mean I get good grades but not GREAT grades, I'm no genius.

Posted: Mar 11, 2009 at 20:00 Quote
orangefreak5 wrote:
Isn't SLO supposedly really hard to get into, I mean I get good grades but not GREAT grades, I'm no genius.

ya, you need like at least a 3.8

or you need to get a perfect on the acts or sats

Posted: Mar 11, 2009 at 20:00 Quote
Chico state is the place to be bra...

Posted: Mar 11, 2009 at 20:11 Quote
lcstay10 wrote:
orangefreak5 wrote:

ya, you need like at least a 3.8

or you need to get a perfect on the acts or sats

Yeah I won't be graduating with that. More like 3.5 and 26 on my ACT. And I don't know what the deal would be with grades transferring out of junior college.

Posted: Mar 12, 2009 at 20:48 Quote
ya man sounds like your pretty biased to california. not really a problem except the fact that your so closed minded about all the other peoples ideas on here. let me simply state something about these states that you dogged on. First of all the states mentioned previously all have mountains that blow cali out of the water. utah and arizona are offer more climates than that of california all well as mountains for biking. Idaho isnt just potatoes and also has the Rockies, Selkirks, Bitter Roots Etc. This is a MTB Forum not a talk my california up. If anything its the Californians who invade these states with their snoody bullshit attitudes and think they run the shit because thats how they "roll" in "cali," bro! anyways when someone from out of state is considering college i would not look at california at all. it is the most expensive state to live in throughout the country and it is over run with dumbasses who have no valid opinions whatsoever.
jcook1989 wrote:
orangefreak5 wrote:

It snows in Colorado so no riding in the winter and it'll be cold as tits. Idaho is just lame unless you really like potatoes. Utah and Arizona are the freaking desert. Cal Poly SLO. Tons of shit to ride. The beach is like 10-15 minutes away. Tons of hot chicks. Seriously its the perfect place to go to school. Oh and another plus is that our engineering programs is one of the best in the nation. California is like a different country everyone is just super chill. Seriously why do people live anywhere else?

Posted: Mar 12, 2009 at 21:02 Quote
orangefreak5 wrote:
After a year or two at junior college I plan on going to a 4 year college/university. I can't see myself spending even a few months away from my mountain bike so I'm looking for a college with trails nearby. I'm from the Chicago area so there are not to many hills out here and I plan on going west of the Mississippi. I also plan to major in engineering if that matters. Thanks for the advice.

Check out Portland State University. Great new Civil Engineering department building, right in downtown Portland, great beer if you're into that, the top rated biking friendly city in the US, and lots of good riding within an hour or two. There's a really good cycling club that caters primarily to the roady group, but there's a few mountain bikers in the group as well. Also they usually have a good showing at collegiate races. All in all, it's not a bad place to be, and the Spring/Summer months are way better than the SW or SoCal. It's hard to argue with 80 degrees and sunny.

Posted: Mar 12, 2009 at 21:13 Quote
Haha, I'm trying to sort all this out, and they all look like good choices. What about colleges where you could actually bike while I'm there for more than 3 months. Cali and Arizona seem ok but what about idaho, colorado, utah, oregeon, its seems like it would snow alot there but I have never been so I wouldn't know if they unrideable winter weather. And what about like close trails, like less than 10 miles from campus?

I know it seems like alot to ask out of a single school but I'm just wondering what my options are.

Posted: Mar 12, 2009 at 21:23 Quote
i dont go there but i know people who go to chico state. its northern california and suposed to be really sick for all things ourdoors, plus no snow. im not sure about how far the good places to ride are but i think thats a cool option

Posted: Mar 12, 2009 at 22:02 Quote
thefriesz wrote:
ya man sounds like your pretty biased to california. not really a problem except the fact that your so closed minded about all the other peoples ideas on here. let me simply state something about these states that you dogged on. First of all the states mentioned previously all have mountains that blow cali out of the water. utah and arizona are offer more climates than that of california all well as mountains for biking. Idaho isnt just potatoes and also has the Rockies, Selkirks, Bitter Roots Etc. This is a MTB Forum not a talk my california up. If anything its the Californians who invade these states with their snoody bullshit attitudes and think they run the shit because thats how they "roll" in "cali," bro! anyways when someone from out of state is considering college i would not look at california at all. it is the most expensive state to live in throughout the country and it is over run with dumbasses who have no valid opinions whatsoever.
jcook1989 wrote:
orangefreak5 wrote:

Relax bud. I think that other states have their qualities. Utah has some super nice places to ride as I'm sure Arizona does to although I haven't looked into Arizona riding much. Colorado has the Rockies which I'm sure is some of the best riding in the country. Also don't not much about Idaho so I'll take your work that it has some great riding too. But the guy isn't asking where is a savage place to ride. He is asking where would to be a good place to go to school that also has good riding. California especially the central coast is an awesome place to live for all the aforementioned reasons. It also has one of the top engineering schools in the nation. I was suggesting him a place to go the school that would be a total package. Although from what he said he doesn't have the grades so I guess it doesn't even matter any more. Oh and no one from California calls it "cali" thats just stupid.

Posted: Mar 12, 2009 at 22:04 Quote
jcook1989 wrote:
thefriesz wrote:
jcook1989 wrote:

Relax bud. I think that other states have their qualities. Utah has some super nice places to ride as I'm sure Arizona does to although I haven't looked into Arizona riding much. Colorado has the Rockies which I'm sure is some of the best riding in the country. Also don't not much about Idaho so I'll take your work that it has some great riding too. But the guy isn't asking where is a savage place to ride. He is asking where would to be a good place to go to school that also has good riding. California especially the central coast is an awesome place to live for all the aforementioned reasons. It also has one of the top engineering schools in the nation. I was suggesting him a place to go the school that would be a total package. Although from what he said he doesn't have the grades so I guess it doesn't even matter any more. Oh and no one from California calls it "cali" thats just stupid.

Idaho, especially the Boise area, has awesome riding. PM me if you want more info. Colorado has decent riding, but most of the good spots are far away and covered in snow most of the year. Phoenix and Flagstaff have decent riding, but there isn't much around Tucson. I know Colorado and Idaho schools well so if you have any questions or want suggestions let me know.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017438
Mobile Version of Website