Biking in college

PB Forum :: USA - Rockies & Midwest
Biking in college
Posted: Jul 29, 2009 at 22:28 Quote
eman69 wrote:
I was in a similar situation a few months ago (also from Chicago...Hyde Park and the North Shore). I was interested in a strong engineering program, great mountain biking(DH/FR/DJ), raging party scene, good music scene and plenty of other activities to keep me busy. I had my list narrowed down to these...

University of Colorado at Boulder

Colorado State, Fort Collins CO

Fort Lewis College, Durango CO- hands down THE BEST biking school in the country. They take their biking very seriously and are always at the top of collegiate level races. However, its a smaller school in a quite ski/bike town with sub par academics.

Colorado School of Mines, Golden CO- Great biking, outstanding academics, party scene....nonexistent

Oregon State, Corvalis OR- mehh

University of Oregon, Eugene OR- no sunshine, too much rain

Western Washington, Bellingham WA- Rated the top shredder school by Burton and a 2-3 drive to Vancouver. However, academics are average and they don't have many clubs/ sports.

University of Vermont

University of New Hampshire

....I boxed up my bikes today and they are in route to the University of Colorado at Boulder. Two more weeks, so psyched.

im going into my senior year and iv already looked at unh, uvm, ithaca, penn state, and the 2 pregon schools, and bolder/denver university are also on my list. how come you gave oregon state a meh?

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2009 at 22:34 Quote
lcstay10 wrote:
im going into my senior year and iv already looked at unh, uvm, ithaca, penn state, and the 2 pregon schools, and bolder/denver university are also on my list. how come you gave oregon state a meh?

To be honest I don't exactly know. Just didn't have the right vibe. Beautiful campus, plenty of hot Asian chics, good engineering program.

Their mascot is a Beaver....hahahaha.

Posted: Jul 30, 2009 at 7:25 Quote
eman69 wrote:
lcstay10 wrote:

To be honest I don't exactly know. Just didn't have the right vibe. Beautiful campus, plenty of hot Asian chics, good engineering program.

Their mascot is a Beaver....hahahaha.

i know what you mean. havent checked it out yet, so i hope i get a good vibe. so far penn state had the best women. like every where i look, i was like woa. haha. but absolutely no biking. prtty sure the closest lift mtn would be seven springs and thats a good 3 hour drive from the campus so kinda a win/loss situation there

Posted: Jul 30, 2009 at 8:41 Quote
Fort Collins is a great college town with a close group of riders. I'm a CSU student and although I'm not a participant in CSU's cycling club they do have everything from road to DH available.

The front range has some great rides, as does all of Northern Colorado. Boulder just wasn't my kind of town, but I'll be making trips up there once Valmont gets up and going.

Posted: Jul 30, 2009 at 12:15 Quote
eman69 wrote:
I was in a similar situation a few months ago (also from Chicago...Hyde Park and the North Shore). I was interested in a strong engineering program, great mountain biking(DH/FR/DJ), raging party scene, good music scene and plenty of other activities to keep me busy. I had my list narrowed down to these...

University of Colorado at Boulder

Colorado State, Fort Collins CO

Fort Lewis College, Durango CO- hands down THE BEST biking school in the country. They take their biking very seriously and are always at the top of collegiate level races. However, its a smaller school in a quite ski/bike town with sub par academics.

Colorado School of Mines, Golden CO- Great biking, outstanding academics, party scene....nonexistent

Oregon State, Corvalis OR- mehh

University of Oregon, Eugene OR- no sunshine, too much rain

Western Washington, Bellingham WA- Rated the top shredder school by Burton and a 2-3 drive to Vancouver. However, academics are average and they don't have many clubs/ sports.

University of Vermont

University of New Hampshire

....I boxed up my bikes today and they are in route to the University of Colorado at Boulder. Two more weeks, so psyched.

Dude you are the man. I'm definitely looking into the first 3. I just found out about a school called NOLS (National Outdoor Leadership School) that do these awesome backpacking, skiing, kayaking, etc. (sadly no mtbing) programs that I might take for a summer or semester. We shall see how it plays out.

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2009 at 16:30 Quote
Niice. Yeah I'm doing a week long backpacking trip with CU Boulder right before orientation. They offer a couple different programs like this to enjoy CO and make some friends before orientation and classes start.

The hardest decision for me was CU or CSU. I hope I wont be regretting my choice in a couple of years when I go completely broke. CSU would have been about 50% cheaper for me. Fort Collins is really bike friendly, all the little coffee shops and book stores have bikes or bike parts hanging as decoration, really cool town. However, the DH scene is defiantly lacking compared to Boulder.

Posted: Jul 30, 2009 at 21:13 Quote
eman69 wrote:
Fort Collins is really bike friendly, all the little coffee shops and book stores have bikes or bike parts hanging as decoration, really cool town. However, the DH scene is defiantly lacking compared to Boulder.

I'm from Illinois, anything out of state is practically considered DH with how flat it is here. Razz

Posted: Jul 31, 2009 at 7:36 Quote
Honestly I think DH is gonna be lacking anywhere along the front range. Not to say that there isn't any, we have a couple nice DH trails in arms length in foco, just you have to earn your turns somehow. Only places that have that intense scene are the smaller resort count's like summit.

But man, I can't wait till the Valmont park is up, that should be pretty sick.

Posted: Jan 19, 2011 at 11:34 Quote
I'm currently attending Gonzaga in Spokane and it gets high marks from me for biking. Beacon hill has excellent hike a bike and the downtown area has some decent street. Im originally from calgary and I find the riding in Spokane is not too bad comparitively.

O+
Posted: Jan 19, 2011 at 11:48 Quote
cletus44 wrote:
I'm currently attending Gonzaga in Spokane and it gets high marks from me for biking. Beacon hill has excellent hike a bike and the downtown area has some decent street. Im originally from calgary and I find the riding in Spokane is not too bad comparitively.

don't grave dig posts...

Posted: Sep 9, 2011 at 17:57 Quote
Any one in Corvallis who wants a ride to BlackRock (Black Rock) let me know. The first trip up there will be on September 25, 2011.

Posted: Mar 1, 2012 at 20:44 Quote
Sorry to bump this old thread but it's exactly what im looking for. I got into CSU and Northern Arizona. Got deffered to CU Boulder but i have a good feeling about getting in. So who offers the best all around cycling and are there teams or clubs that most of these schools offer? Thanks

Posted: Mar 1, 2012 at 20:49 Quote
AndrewG21 wrote:
Sorry to bump this old thread but it's exactly what im looking for. I got into CSU and Northern Arizona. Got deffered to CU Boulder but i have a good feeling about getting in. So who offers the best all around cycling and are there teams or clubs that most of these schools offer? Thanks
Chico State University in norcal...badass biking all over and we have a great collegiate mtb team

Posted: Mar 1, 2012 at 20:57 Quote
swilson669 wrote:
AndrewG21 wrote:
Chico State University in norcal...badass biking all over and we have a great collegiate mtb team
Unfortunately didnt apply there and it's a bit late for that anyways, but it looks pretty sweet!

O+
Posted: Mar 18, 2012 at 17:06 Quote
I'm a senior at Northern Arizona. Obviously i'm a little biased but I think this is the place to be. Year round riding. A ski resort in town. You don't need a car to go ride. There are plenty of people in town that ride xc and dh. My favorite part about Flagstaff is that you can go ride right from town. All the trails start on the edges of town. In fact the town is surrounded by trail networks in just about every direction. we've also Good bike shop competition and a community that is pretty supportive of the sport and the college team. We are planning a collegiate XC and DH race for next semester. We are currently mountain bike conference champions for what that's worth. We are looking pretty good to win a conference championship in road this semester as well. I think NAU has a nice balance with its cycling teams. Other teams are a little bit more coach run. Our team is basically just student run, this allows for an adequate amount of "fun". Everyone takes their racing seriously but once the race is over we make it a point to have a good time. I know most other college students racers do the same. The only difference is that some teams are a little more controlled by their senior members or coaches. Granted those are the teams that are on the team podium at nationals... NAU has had its share of nationals podiums in the last few years with individuals. Everybody is different but everybody that I've seen come and go in the last 5 years has been really happy about there decision to go to school and ride here. That said its certainly true that other schools like fort lewis, lees Mcrae and Boulder have more support, but, its about riding bikes and getting educated. I'm pretty sure you can ride more at NAU that ALMOST every other university out there.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.024015
Mobile Version of Website