Puddletown forest, what to do next

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Puddletown forest, what to do next
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 1:51 Quote
puddletown forest trails have been destroyed by the forestry commission andwhen i was talking to my mates about it we decided to do somthing about it. i dont know what to do though i thought about doing a petition and see how many signatures we could get. do you think this is a good idea? If not what do you suggest we should do because puddletown was the only decent place in easy riding distance of my house.

thanks for any suggestions
ben

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 5:51 Quote
Hello mate,

I'm not too sure if you're aware, but there is a site a bunch of us run called www.ridepuddletown.co.uk.

There has been a lot of talk on there about this over the past few months. At one point we were all ready to formalize as a club, get registered as an official charity and get public liability insurance through the BCF. We were also prepared to negociate an annual lease fee to the FC for the land. It was all set up ready to go.

We would have charged an annual fee of like only £20ish a year for club membership, but it would have meant that all the trails would be properly maintained and kept safe. We even had Andy from Mud Sweat & Gears in Weymouth on board. Through him, there could have been school trips organised through the club for a day's trail riding, or race days organised and all sorts of other opportunities.

However, the FC seemed to have no interest whatsoever despite all our pre-planning and organisation, even though we were prepared to pay insure the forest against public liability for all MTB activity. They just dismissed it outright. They wouldnt even agree to meet with us to discuss it or give reasons why they are so against MTB in Puddletown.

Its a real shame, everybody enjoys the forest and now they seem to be on a mission to stamp out MTB all together. I think they've missed out on a real opportunity. Just look how sucessful similar schemes heve been in Tavistock woods (ttfreeriders) or Longleat (The Black Cannon Collective).

I think a petition would be an excellent idea. Perhaps even get everyon you know to email Andrew Norris (the man in charge of the FC for Puddletown) about how dissapointed we all are in their recent actions.

I know the FC are not souly responsible, they only lease the land, there are 3 land owners that refuse to budge about allowing MTB on their property. So remember, leagaly we are only actualy allowed to ride on the fire tracks (bridleways), so be careful when complaining. We dont want them to stop MTB completely.

But yeah, i think a petition is a great idea, I'm prepared to try anything. you never know.

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 7:09 Quote
Jimby wrote:
Hello mate,

I'm not too sure if you're aware, but there is a site a bunch of us run called www.ridepuddletown.co.uk.

*SNIP*
yeah i know bout ride puddletown.co.uk but i thought id put it on pinkbike as more people would see it and i will draft out a petition and email. if people want it to send or print off and add signatures i will sent it to them through email

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 11:33 Quote
im being dumb whats a petition
other than that is all sounds good Big Grin

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 11:38 Quote
JAK14MB wrote:
im being dumb whats a petition
other than that is all sounds good Big Grin
its where you get loads of people to sign it and that shows how many people want the trails back and then the FC should do somthing about it

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 11:40 Quote
that sounds like a freakin awesome idea
that could well work
im well up for thatBig Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Moon

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 11:58 Quote
if i could get peoples email adress i can sent you the petition sheet and you can print as many as you like. i will be taking them round school and you can do the same with school/work we could put them in bike shops too

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 12:05 Quote
a petition is an awesome idea
but for making the forestry commmision see sense is another matter
we were ready to formalise a club with 20+ full time members and they wouldnt even meet to discuss it you also need to remember the fc dont own the land its privately owned and as jimby said they wont budge on the matters of mtb'ing on there land
however everything is worth a go so i will sign up

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 12:13 Quote
ben ill sign the petition its a great idea

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 12:15 Quote
even if we dont get the same spot back just somwhere we can build trails would be fine

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 12:17 Quote
if you message me you email adress i can sent you the petition sheet
there are 35 signatures per sheet, print out as many as you want and i will arrange to get them all back when they are full, each sheet has a statement on the top

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 13:36 Quote
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/puddletown/ internet petition im not entirely sure how it works but ive given it a go when it asks for a donation just click next and then when it comes up with details retype the petition addy to see your post the donation is not to us its to the petition company

Posted: Jan 9, 2017 at 4:44 Quote
His guys I've just found this thread I know it's a good few years old now, but I have recently been interested in forming a proper organisation called Puddletown trails Co-op for the purpose of managing the trails and access to the land in Puddletown forest, you can find the group on Facebook. It's a free volunteer group at present, but I'm hoping to make it an official organisation to act on behalf of cyclists using Puddletown forest and give us some real negotiating power.
The initial idea was to get a group formed to repair some of the trails and maybe build some more, but having seen this thread it has lowered my expectations slightly, but I am not too deterred.
Can you tell me if you have had any more news on the matter in recent years, and where you currently stand with it?

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012588
Mobile Version of Website