Bike Thief In Court

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
Bike Thief In Court
Previous Page |
Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 8:45 Quote
My house was broken into a couple months back, and my bike was stolen. The cops caught the guy who did it, now he's going to be in court soon. Any chance of getting some money from the thief to buy a new bike with? the thief is TWELVE years old....

also stole my roommates bike, which his mom bought for him while slowly saving money on welfare. and a couple grand worth of other things too.

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 9:34 Quote
If the kid is twelve the only reasonable recourse I could see would be small claims against his legal guardian but even that's doesn't have a guarantee that you'll collect.

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 9:52 Quote
Well absolutley no sympathy towards your friend there, Welfare money isn't supposed to be saved up to buy bikes with, it's our tax money after all. And if you can't get your bike back in the same condition it was in before it was stolen you could probly get back it's original value.

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 14:39 Quote
If my taxes are being saved up by a (likely single) mother for her kid, I feel a little better about paying them.

Its a far better cause than the Olympics I'm paying for unfortunately.

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 16:00 Quote
Pyro011 wrote:
Well absolutley no sympathy towards your friend there, Welfare money isn't supposed to be saved up to buy bikes with, it's our tax money after all. And if you can't get your bike back in the same condition it was in before it was stolen you could probly get back it's original value.

Why are you such a negative prick? Have a heart.
Edit: Your 15. You don't pay taxes, only on goods you buy. That doesn't go to social welfare.

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 16:24 Quote
Stoked-Commencal wrote:
Pyro011 wrote:

Why are you such a negative prick? Have a heart.
Edit: Your 15. You don't pay taxes, only on goods you buy. That doesn't go to social welfare.

i was going to say something too, but decided not to at the moment.

but why is it your business to critise what a single (widowed) mother spends her welfare on? expecially if she uses the money to get her children into a sport?

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 16:36 Quote
Dont mind him he's one of the pinkbike posers.. Spoiled brats that get their parents to buy everything for them. I know what its like to live like that, although thank god our circumstances have changed for the better. But back on topic.. Sadly your probably not going to get anything out of the thieving bastard.

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 18:51 Quote
There are too many injustices within our social system as a welfare state. I agree that there are many people who take advantage of the system and this limits the people who actually require social assistance/welfare in order to provide the basic needs such as food, shelter, and clothes for their family. I am disgusted at the abuse of the system demonstrated here. You should be ashamed of your friend and his mother who are spending taxpayers’ money on luxury goods! This system is there for people who need it in order to provide the basic needs. A bike is not a necessity nor is it a basic need! If he wants a bike, he should work for one! I have sympathy for his situation for being fatherless but abusing a system that is supposed to provide in times of need is despicable! It is clear that she doesn’t need such assistance if she is using it inappropriately and siphoning some of the money for a "bike fund."

PS. Anyone who earns more than the basic personal amount must pay income tax, regardless of age. The only difference is that minors don’t have to pay CPP premiums.

2 cents

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 19:20 Quote
m-a-c-k wrote:
If my taxes are being saved up by a (likely single) mother for her kid, I feel a little better about paying them.

Its a far better cause than the Olympics I'm paying for unfortunately.

I agree with that, if you want to talk about social injustices go bitch at the people on welfare who are putting their cheques into their arms or smoking it in a light bulb while their children starve. Seriously, the guy is just looking for suggestions to get some money back from his stolen bike, not looking for your opinion on the state of the welfare system and the people that receive government assistance. If you're so compelled to write about that, put it in an email to your local M.P.

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 20:51 Quote
fourcrosser wrote:
There are too many injustices within our social system as a welfare state. I agree that there are many people who take advantage of the system and this limits the people who actually require social assistance/welfare in order to provide the basic needs such as food, shelter, and clothes for their family. I am disgusted at the abuse of the system demonstrated here. You should be ashamed of your friend and his mother who are spending taxpayers’ money on luxury goods! This system is there for people who need it in order to provide the basic needs. A bike is not a necessity nor is it a basic need! If he wants a bike, he should work for one! I have sympathy for his situation for being fatherless but abusing a system that is supposed to provide in times of need is despicable! It is clear that she doesn’t need such assistance if she is using it inappropriately and siphoning some of the money for a "bike fund."

PS. Anyone who earns more than the basic personal amount must pay income tax, regardless of age. The only difference is that minors don’t have to pay CPP premiums.

2 cents
This and stoked commencal, Ive been paying income tax since I was 13 and I still am today. Not only do these taxes go to social welfare GST does aswell. The point of welfare is to help out people that can't work or need extra money to feed their children. That woman should be ripped off welfare as she obviously doesn't need it, she should once agian feel what it's like to get up in the morning and go to work to provide for her children. Hope that roomate doesn't get his bike back.

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 21:18 Quote
dutchster wrote:
My house was broken into a couple months back, and my bike was stolen. The cops caught the guy who did it, now he's going to be in court soon. Any chance of getting some money from the thief to buy a new bike with? the thief is TWELVE years old....

also stole my roommates bike, which his mom bought for him while slowly saving money on welfare. and a couple grand worth of other things too.
Depends what country your in
in Canada if the thief is 12 hes to young even for the YCJA so not much will happen

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 21:23 Quote
Pyro011 wrote:
This and stoked commencal, Ive been paying income tax since I was 13 and I still am today. Not only do these taxes go to social welfare GST does as well. The point of welfare is to help out people that can't work or need extra money to feed their children. That woman should be ripped off welfare as she obviously doesn't need it, she should once again feel what it's like to get up in the morning and go to work to provide for her children. Hope that roomate doesn't get his bike back.
She slowly saved up a bit of it so she could buy her son a bike, is that really wrong in your book? It certainly is not in mine, the happiness she'd bring to her child would mean a lot to her. Generally people on welfare are not the happiest of people, so seeing her son have a good time will help her feel better for a moment.
I'm willing to bet she does have a job, but people have loans, mortgages, bills to pay off at the same time. A normal job doesn't provide enough to cover it.
To your last sentence, do you have no heart whatsoever?

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 21:48 Quote
Quik5ilver wrote:
Pyro011 wrote:
This and stoked commencal, Ive been paying income tax since I was 13 and I still am today. Not only do these taxes go to social welfare GST does as well. The point of welfare is to help out people that can't work or need extra money to feed their children. That woman should be ripped off welfare as she obviously doesn't need it, she should once again feel what it's like to get up in the morning and go to work to provide for her children. Hope that roomate doesn't get his bike back.
She slowly saved up a bit of it so she could buy her son a bike, is that really wrong in your book? It certainly is not in mine, the happiness she'd bring to her child would mean a lot to her. Generally people on welfare are not the happiest of people, so seeing her son have a good time will help her feel better for a moment.
I'm willing to bet she does have a job, but people have loans, mortgages, bills to pay off at the same time. A normal job doesn't provide enough to cover it.
To your last sentence, do you have no heart whatsoever?
Oh I have a heart, I also have an uncle who's wife is handicapped and cant work. They have 8 kids together. The oldest is only in grade 7 and the youngest 11 months, they are all still completley dependant on their parents. My uncle works very long hours and can go through some pretty bad day as a taxi driver. Still he works hard to provide for his family. So I hate to see people abuse great systems like welfare because its for what its for, nothing else. None of my uncles kids have bikes nevermind performance ones, and I work to pay for mine. Think of kids in 3rd world countries that couldnt even come here if they wanted to, do you think they would spend their welfare on bikes?

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 21:57 Quote
Good to see we have some caring, compassionate people in our midst.

Now listen, it is no secret that a lot of people abuse social assistance. The money often does not end up where it is intended.

However, just because somebody needs a hand does not mean they should be expected to live a life of destitution.

If a mother qualifies for social assistance and sees fit to provide a quality life for her children, which is the point of assistance by the way, then the system is working for once. I think a decent bike is a great idea. I am thankful everyday my parents gave me a jump start in this incredible sport.

It goes further, bikes break and need maintenance. To sustain that you need a job, and that is one hell of a motivator for that young fella to get out there and get working.

Not only that, but not everyone on assistance is lazy. Disability, sickness, and all sorts of hardship can put a person in a tight spot.

Besides, all of that is entirely after the fact. He is looking for advice regarding a stolen bike. There is no need to jump down his throat with criticism and judgement.

If you dont want to help him out with the question he put forward, you need to just move on to the next thread, thanks.

Like I said, listen up. Just because you get by just fine, doesnt mean people who need a little help are lazy. Nor does it mean you have any business placing judgement on how they care for their families.

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 23:36 Quote
I highly doubt that there will be any collecting of money or financial justice for you or your roomy. Its unfortunate but thats how she goes.

As for your friend whos mother is one welfare, I can sort of see where pyro is going with this, I mean sure maybe buyign an expensive bike is not really the smartest thing to be spending your welfare cheque on, however. She slowly saved up money so that her child her would have some means of activity and not just because an abuser of the system and actually be productive member of society. I would do the same thing. Pyro needs to get off his high horse if he thinks hes the only one whos family had it rough.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005807
Mobile Version of Website