Bike Thief In Court

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
Bike Thief In Court
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 0:28 Quote
m-a-c-k wrote:
Good to see we have some caring, compassionate people in our midst.

Now listen, it is no secret that a lot of people abuse social assistance. The money often does not end up where it is intended.

However, just because somebody needs a hand does not mean they should be expected to live a life of destitution.

If a mother qualifies for social assistance and sees fit to provide a quality life for her children, which is the point of assistance by the way, then the system is working for once. I think a decent bike is a great idea. I am thankful everyday my parents gave me a jump start in this incredible sport.

It goes further, bikes break and need maintenance. To sustain that you need a job, and that is one hell of a motivator for that young fella to get out there and get working.

Not only that, but not everyone on assistance is lazy. Disability, sickness, and all sorts of hardship can put a person in a tight spot.

Besides, all of that is entirely after the fact. He is looking for advice regarding a stolen bike. There is no need to jump down his throat with. criticism and judgement.

If you dont want to help him out with the question he put forward, you need to just move on to the next thread, thanks.

Like I said, listen up. Just because you get by just fine, doesnt mean people who need a little help are lazy. Nor does it mean you have any business placing judgement on how they care for their families.
Next time try reading my posts, I was the second one to awnser his question in this whole thread.

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 10:33 Quote
So a social assistance mother made sacrifices in her life to try to better the life of her child and you're going to condem her for that?

Wow.

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 10:51 Quote
Pyro, your a prick. just because your Rich daddy bought you a shiny new bike because you probibly whined about it, that doesent make you a better person, and it definately doesent give you the right to bad mouth the less privelaged.

I have alot of respect for the said mother who saved up what LITTLE money they had to buy her son a bike. It probibly kept him off the streets and he has something positive in his life to do. If that isn`t good will, then i dont know what is

And i cant believe you kids are bad mouthing her. Grow a pair and man up.

Sorry for jacking your thread, by the way haha.

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 11:07 Quote
hrdbiker wrote:
I mean sure maybe buyign an expensive bike is not really the smartest thing to be spending your welfare cheque on, however.

Who even said it was an expensive bike? Maybe she socked away $10 a month for a couple years. Its just that several people took it upon themselves to assume the worst and act like this woman was taking the gov't for hundreds of $$$ a month.

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 11:13 Quote
Dude pyro, you are the definition of an a*shole.
I'm glad that my taxes(which i only pay on things i buy) go to a child for a bike to get into a sport. Like seriously kid. STOP BEING A PRICK

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 12:40 Quote
Welfare is not a charity. It is for people who need assistance in order to provide the basic needs. I know that if I was ever on welfare (god forbid and knocks on wood that it will never happen), it would be my goal and main priority to get off of it as soon as possible. I am not about taking handouts and I have too much pride to even consider something like this. I would work numerous jobs and countless hours just so I could get off of welfare. Being on welfare is nothing to be proud of...

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 14:20 Quote
hey everybody.....

i guess i should throw down some clarifing points.

it wasent a very expensive bike. a used atomik, a couple years old. couple hundred dollars.

the lady saved for ages.

she already worked 2 jobs.

and she is anything but lazy.

and to the last poster who is maybe too good for welfare(?), do you not realise that sometimes 1 person cannot work enough hours to pay the bills for the whole family? and still raise the family? like common now. its not happening.

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 14:23 Quote
also just wanted to say that i think this is a super interesting conversation, so lets keep the insults down and opinions up.

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 14:36 Quote
well its good you caught the kid who did it. if you have house insurance you should be able to get payed out. but i dont know if the courts will make the kid pay for the stolen proporty since he is oly 12 years old.

and how did this 12 year old get into your place? you need to get some child proof locks haha

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 15:11 Quote
my room mate and i had only moved into that place a few weeks previously. no insurance yet, we didnt get around to doing it. totally our fault.

he got it through a bedroom window that was closed, not locked. and then let himself out the door after opening it from the inside.

O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 17:06 Quote
This one kid in vancouver a little while ago ( idk how long ago )
he was 11-12 and after his dad dropped him off at school he ditched school and went to go steal a car and since he was 12 the court couldnt do anything to him so he did this for like 3 days and finally the court got tired of it and tried him under YCJA
Fun Fact Big Grin

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 18:01 Quote
fourcrosser wrote:
I would work numerous jobs and countless hours just so I could get off of welfare.

In an ideal world, hard work is all that we need to survive. Unfortunately for some people the deck is stacked against them. I'll layout a situation that is playing out across the city I live in.

A bunch of people who had jobs making an honest wage that didn't necessarily allow them to save a substantial amount of cash. One day that job disappears so there's a bunch of 40 and 50 year olds trying to compete against 20 year olds for general work positions all the while bill collectors are hounding them.

Another common issue for older woman is that the husband insists on being the sole provider then one day he punches out. The woman is left with maybe a pension payment plus any life insurance payout they may have. Since the husband has been the bread winner, the woman hasn't had any work experience for 20+ years and she's competing against high school kids for any work she can get. I know that's what happened to my aunt when my uncle died. So she's now in her early 60s and has to wait tables to make ends meet.

After seeing what I've witnessed happen in the city I live in over the past 3 years, I can say this without a doubt. I hope no one ever has to deal with this but there may come a day when that platform on which you've constructed your whole life completely collapses in a short period of time and you won't have a hope in hell of making it through alone. Locally, even people with university degrees cannot find work. Property values are falling into the negative equity so they're stuck holding that and watching bills come in.

None of these situations are even mentioning the possibility of health issues either, that's a whole other can of worms.

So please don't assume that everyone on welfare is lazy and lacking the drive to get off welfare. I grew up in a housing project (ghetto) that had many welfare recipients in it that worked full work weeks plus some. Unfortunately with the way our taxes are setup, working a lot of hours at near minimum wages doesn't add up to a whole lot of cash at the end of the week. Just do the math and see if you could honestly live off the most hours you could realistically work at $9.50/hour.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009317
Mobile Version of Website