Curved northshore, How? (not quarter pipe)

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Curved northshore, How? (not quarter pipe)
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 11:25 Quote
I searched for this, and found nothing on it, so I'm asking here.
I have at my disposal, about 10-15 5-10 ft long 2x4s and 2x6s, about 4 5-7 ft tall 4x4s, and some flat sheets of wood.

This is what I'm after.
photo

DH drop

photo

roller

photo

up and down

How do you get the wood to curve, or at least go from flat, to like a 30 degree downslope, or upslope for jumps in the middle of NS, or downhill take off for slower drops?

Thanks!

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 16:06 Quote
Well, to get the angle ramps, you simply angle the runners downwards however steep you want them. For curves, there are two ways.

One way is to find a naturally curved tree(fallen already) and rip it down the middle, this creates two curved runners.

The other way is to use straight logs, but cut the ends and very slight angles which create a "curved" platform.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.nsmb.com/assets/images/A_events08/powerslave/IMG_0991.jpg
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.nsmb.com/assets/images/trail_tales/rileybuild/2/IMG_0784.jpg

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 16:24 Quote
I've just invited Caribooyj to this thread, He makes some awesome North shore
have a look http://caribooyj.pinkbike.com/

photo

O+
Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 17:54 Quote
PeteBM wrote:
I've just invited Caribooyj to this thread, He makes some awesome North shore
have a look http://caribooyj.pinkbike.com/

photo

Thanks Pete for letting me know about this thread.... interesting stuff.

O+
Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 18:11 Quote
I've tried both methods RockyMountainPride is describing.
Take a look at this photo and you can see I found a curved log that fits the curve well:
photo

This section was build with straight logs, but short log sections.
photo

I've started using thinner planks/boards and I'm bending them... start nailing the boards
on the upper or higher side of the curved wall and you end up with the lower corner sticking up.
You can then use a long spike and carefully bring the board down by putting pressure on it and nailing at
the same time. Once in a while a board will split, but if you can get in in place it will stay that way.
Makes for very nice smooth walls, since you are actually shaping the planks.
You will also have to cut every board into a triangular shape. It just takes time, as you have to work with
every single board individually. The outcome is satisfying in my mind, almost lie a sculpture of sorts.
But, keep in mind, what you are trying to achieve is one of the more complicated structures and it does take some practise
and experimenting. I strongly suggest to go out and spend the extra time in finding curved logs/poles.
I often cut some smaller trees in the winter, that are bend by the snowload. If cut at the right time, they will actually
retain that shape.
Here's another pic of the structure for a curved wall:
photo

I'm a bit pressed for time right now, but will try and explain this better later...
keep those questions coming.

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 21:47 Quote
Thanks Caribooyj, That helps alot!
My problem is, I live in southern california, which means no trees, none. So I can't used curved logs.

I was trying to build one today, which was an uphill paltform to flat, to a short down slope to drop.
I just used 2x4s overlapping at different, not curvey at all, but worked. Any suggestions on what would help? I'll upload a paint pic in a sec. basically, I just put one 2x4 support that I would nail the riding platform too level, then the next 2x4 nailed to that one at a different angle, With some supports going off, making a triangulation between that and the ground supports.

Anyone build wooden burms/wallrides? Easier than dirt?
Thanks!

O+
Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 22:23 Quote
suicidedownhiller wrote:
Thanks Caribooyj, That helps alot!
My problem is, I live in southern california, which means no trees, none. So I can't used curved logs.

I was trying to build one today, which was an uphill paltform to flat, to a short down slope to drop.
I just used 2x4s overlapping at different, not curvey at all, but worked. Any suggestions on what would help? I'll upload a paint pic in a sec. basically,

Anyone build wooden burms/wallrides? Easier than dirt?
Thanks!

I think I know what you mean... overlapping is certainly one way to go.

" I just put one 2x4 support that I would nail the riding platform too level, then the next 2x4 nailed to that one at a different angle, With some supports going off, making a triangulation between that and the ground supports."

Yes, again if I understand your question, that's how to do it. I did the same today. I was building a transition, coming from a straight ladder drop, but wanted to end up in an angle... so, just like you describe above, one support went straight down, the other one at a different angle. That way I created a curve, once the decking went on...
(the picture doesn't really show the curve well:
photo

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 23:02 Quote
Yeah, thats what I meant, Thanks.
Now for the other part of curves, Curved rollers. Even if they're not based on a radius like QPs (which is better).

Any tips? Like a wood platform with a roller off, or roller to drop off from the roler.

this does question make sense?
Thanks

O+
Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 23:06 Quote
suicidedownhiller wrote:
Yeah, thats what I meant, Thanks.
Now for the other part of curves, Curved rollers. Even if they're not based on a radius like QPs (which is better).

Any tips? Like a wood platform with a roller off, or roller to drop off from the roler.

this does question make sense?
Thanks

sorry, not sure what you mean ???

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 8:33 Quote
photo

photo

curves using laminated maple strips. lots of work to produce, but has held up very well.

photo

photo

dirt to wood berm. very fun, lots of upkeep on the dirt.

photo

flat, curved bridge/skinny/bridge/teeter. just locally accessed materials. no curved logs used.

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 8:43 Quote
obee1 wrote:
photo

dirt to wood berm. very fun, lots of upkeep on the dirt.

photo

flat, curved bridge/skinny/bridge/teeter. just locally accessed materials. no curved logs used.
These two. The firsrt one for the curve down, and then the second one is the other type of curve that I figured out. Now I need help on the first one.

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 8:45 Quote
post up some pics of work you've already done. it'll give us an idea of what you've got to work with, and how we can offer advice on your apporach to the design and fabrication.

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 8:56 Quote
I don't have any pics because all my old work had gotten torn down. Before, all I had was just flat platfroms to drop off of, and some skinnys. Here's a video of them all.
Views: 1,460    Faves: 16    Comments: 27
The wood starts about 75 seconds in.
I also have this thing:
photo

Should give you a good overlay of the land I have to work with. NO TREES Frown

O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 9:24 Quote
That's not a bad trail in your video... lot's of potential! And yes, I can see what you are saying, no trees. What a shame...

If you want to build something like this
photo

you will somehow produce a curved structure. It's tricky with what you have, but can be done.
you do have some 2x6's and that what I would use. 2x10's would make it a lot easier. With the 2x6's you
have to find a way to double them up: heightwise. I wished I could draw this out here.
take two of the 2x6 and lay them on the ground end by end. OK, this is not going to work, I'll upload a photo:
photo

see what I mean... you can use as many as you need to make the curve the size you'd like. You might think it looks kinda flimsy
but the weight is on top and will support it. Tonail the 2x6's after the cut and use your support structure to hold everything in place. It's carpentry, but that's what you get for not having trees Big Grin

O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 9:26 Quote
obee1 wrote:
photo
curves using laminated maple strips. lots of work to produce, but has held up very well.

That's nice.... never seen that before on a trail!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.036552
Mobile Version of Website