Some Guidance on this SX Trail

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Some Guidance on this SX Trail
  • Previous Page
O+ FL
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 15:26 Quote
Here's the situation, left bike in Canada now living in Australia and just going nuts without a bike.

NOt in a position to spend too much money and the used bike market down here is nothing like home (north van).

Im 6'3 200lbs, ride fairly aggressively, have a Bullit at home, love North Shore and Whistler etc. Be weary that the trails down here wont have the punishment of home either.

Will this bike be worth the money:

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bikes/show/100037787

2500AUD = 2090CAD

My biggest concerns are:

Fork - should i see about an upgrade?
Shock spring - again upgrade?
2006 - still too much for a new 2006? I do accept to some degree that bikes due to the market are slightly more in AUS regardless of currency conversion.

Also the rumours about the chainstays on the SXs from years past.

Any remarks or comments appreciated.

Cheers, enjoy summer folks, i'm jealous i'm not there riding.

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 15:34 Quote
umm. i personly like the older 66's. its up to you. the 66 can take somewhat of alot. but its not a big dh fork. i think the rear shock is fine a dhx 4 is pretty nice has pro pedal adjustment. 2500 for a brand new 06 is fairly good. u can find them used for less but this ones new. my friend has one and loves it. its kinda all mountain/freeride. all mountain because he can go pretty good up hill if your in shape i think you go up hills way better on this then a bullit.(this is all my personal opinion

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 15:36 Quote
id definetly go for it thats pretty damn cheap for brand new

O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 15:59 Quote
That bike brand new for $2000 is well worth it in my opinion. There isn't one part on it that you would have to swap out immediately, and you can always upgrade whichever parts when you have some extra cash. The 66F fork isn't the top end 66 obviously, but does it really matter? Its still a damn good fork, just not as adjustable as some of the other models.

I doubt you would have to worry about the the shock spring, as the shock is custom tuned for that bike by specialized... I think the large comes with a 550 spring but im not 100% sure. I'm sure you can find the info on the internet if you look around a bit.

If you are concerned about paying that much for a 2006 bike, consider the fact that with a brand new bike, you get the specialized warranty, which is basically a lifetime warranty on the frame... from my experience specialized is pretty good about warranty issues.

I have heard about chainstays breaking on the pre 07 SX trails, but I dont think it was as serious of a problem as people made it out to be. In the rare case that you do happen to snap a chainstay... well that's where the specialized warranty comes into play and they'll send you a new chainstay or new rear triangle. Smile

Ask any SX Trail owner if they're disappointed in their bike...

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 20:12 Quote
thanks for the posts guys.......

anyone else care to jump in and have a say?

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 20:18 Quote
i have a friend who has an sx and he freakin loves it, uses it for everything from his backyard dj's to shredding the trails at mt.washington. i've heard alot of good things about them from other PB users as well. as for the price thats a pretty darn good deal. the older marz are awesome too but yeah thats up to you if you want to upgrade it or not.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 1, 2009 at 22:09 Quote
Speak now or forever hold your peace as i think i'm going to go ahead and buy it.

2006 but that's ok, i'm not concerned about being on the latest gear,

ANy last comments everyone???

Posted: Apr 1, 2009 at 22:17 Quote
i own a 2008 sx trail and sx trails r my most favorite bike in the world definatly buy it

O+
Posted: Apr 1, 2009 at 22:43 Quote
Be wary of the chainstays, I've heard of a large number of the 06's snapping there. Especially if you're a big guy. Make sure there's a warranty. If there is then there's no worries, Spesh has amazing warranty, but if it doesn't have one you might be up a creek.

Posted: Apr 1, 2009 at 22:50 Quote
I own that EXACT bike in a medium. i friggin paid that exact amount for it used!

after a year of riding i did upgrade the fork to a fox van 36
but sounds like it will do just fine down there, especially brand new.
the rear shock is awesome... i run a 450 spring and weigh 175. the 500 spring was a tad too much.

i say get that bike!!!

Posted: Apr 1, 2009 at 22:53 Quote
for the record, i havent heard of any issues with chainstays... but not saying there arent. i havent had any. and, 99% sure that if u buy the bike new, its lifetime on the frame.

didnt mention my hub that blew up... but that was some harsh riding. check my photo albums. it was fixed with a 100 outlaw, so no biggie.

Posted: Apr 1, 2009 at 22:55 Quote
Awesome bike. I don't know what kit you had on your bullit, but the parts on this bike will do for miles! They arn't the lightest, but they work. As for the bike it self... IT ROCKS!! Salute Yes it can be a good all-round bike but if you do want to use it for trail/all mountain (that would mean pedaling up hill:tupSmile Then make sure you've got some gun powder in you legs. Because either way you look at it, you've still got to pedal 170mm of rear travel up a hill.... So I have an do train a lot of stamina + getting out on my road bike and this way I've got enough leg strength to pedal this beast uphill.

Now for the good part. Downhill!! I need hardly say anything. the bike speaks for it self. This bike is so awesome downhill!! I could write about linkages, suspension technology, brake jack.... blablablabla just try one for yourself and your'll love it!

Hope this helps. And yes I can compare it to many other bikes cause I work in a bikeshop and have demo'ed so many bikes before and I ended up buying this one. Other bikes I nearly bought were: trek remedy, santa cruz bullit, or vp free and rocky mountain SS350.

thats my 2cents

Posted: Apr 1, 2009 at 22:57 Quote
MUnibiker wrote:
Then make sure you've got some gun powder in you legs. Because either way you look at it, you've still got to pedal 170mm of rear travel up a hill.... So I have an do train a lot of stamina + getting out on my road bike and this way I've got enough leg strength to pedal this beast uphill.

Now for the good part. Downhill!!

lol, very true.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 1, 2009 at 23:08 Quote
I had an 06 test one (it has a nice blue and black paint job Razz ) and i loved it! it was amazing! i could ride everything that i can do on my demo. i love it so much im gunna get another one for this season (and i still have my demo).

there really isnt anything that you have to change, its a solid ride.

if you do end up getting one please tell me if you like it, i always like to hear what others think of them.

Cheers! Smile

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 1, 2009 at 23:48 Quote
Thanks for the reinforcements fellas, looks like i'll be heading up to make a bit of a purchase next week then.

I've already asked the store to bring in heavier springs for the fork, so that should stiffen that up a bit.

Was hoping the 4.0 might provide a bit of adjustibility for uphill but overall i'm not concerned about how hard or fast i get up as long as i enjoy the ride down!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.069476
Mobile Version of Website