close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Single Speed Downhill Bike

PB Forum :: Downhill
Single Speed Downhill Bike
Previous Page |
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 17:11 Quote
I am thinking of building a single speed downhill bike. Anyone have one or ride one? What did you think? Any Pictures?

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 19:29 Quote
sir, i think that is a silly idea. i believe in 8 or 9 x 2's. just my two cents.

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 19:32 Quote
here is mine i love it

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 19:37 Quote
the-ultimate-cyclist wrote:
here is mine i love it

haha i saw u at the bike show trying to do 180's nice
how much does she weigh

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 19:42 Quote
papasmurph wrote:
the-ultimate-cyclist wrote:
here is mine i love it

haha i saw u at the bike show trying to do 180's nice
how much does she weigh

it weights 39.5 pounds. i was actually trying 360s but it is just really tough to spin on and my knee kept hitting one of the top tubes.

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 19:47 Quote
40lb single speed would seem to be a little hard to maneuver

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 19:50 Quote
saturnine wrote:
40lb single speed would seem to be a little hard to maneuver

and that it is.

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 19:51 Quote
I'm singlespeeding my Stinky. The chain tensioner is coming tomorrow. I'll post pics when I get it installed. Mike Metzger runs SS on his Blindside BTW.

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 19:51 Quote
AlCapone wrote:
I'm singlespeeding my Stinky. The chain tensioner is coming tomorrow. I'll post pics when I get it installed. Mike Metzger runs SS on his Blindside BTW.

my stinky used to be single speed aswell. it worked out great. single speed ftw.

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 19:52 Quote
Well i think it could be a good bike. The drive train would be low maintenance and would be way stronger than a 9 speed. It would also be lighter. 35 pound bike maybe. Anyone have pics of a fully single speed?

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 19:54 Quote
here was my beautiful stinky before i sold it.

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 19:57 Quote
asulli wrote:
Well i think it could be a good bike. The drive train would be low maintenance and would be way stronger than a 9 speed. It would also be lighter. 35 pound bike maybe. Anyone have pics of a fully single speed?
Here is Mike's SS Blindside
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.transitionbikes.com/BlogImages/SSblindside_blog.jpg

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 20:00 Quote
i respectfully disagree with going ss on a dh bike. a dh bike is ment to be raced and to go down some of the most steep and rocky terrain which would most likely favor single speed but when you come down to a flat section your are going to want to peddle and eventully you are going to out pedal your gearing ratio. which is not favorable in a race. for free riding i would say go for it makes thing a lot less complicated but in general gearing was inovated into dh bikes for a reason

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 20:04 Quote
dhrider1234567 wrote:
i respectfully disagree with going ss on a dh bike. a dh bike is ment to be raced and to go down some of the most steep and rocky terrain which would most likely favor single speed but when you come down to a flat section your are going to want to peddle and eventully you are going to out pedal your gearing ratio. which is not favorable in a race. for free riding i would say go for it makes thing a lot less complicated but in general gearing was inovated into dh bikes for a reason
I see where your coming from, but I respectfully disagree. I never shift. Shifting is a bitch. Just grow more leg muscles so you can run a hard gear ratio.

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 20:06 Quote
what would be the point of single speeding a dh bike?

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007949
Mobile Version of Website