How do you keep the landing SOFT?

PB Forum :: Trail Building
How do you keep the landing SOFT?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 23:32 Quote
Hey guys, I've built this table jump/kicker thingy and that's what I learn my tricks on... The only problem I have is that after a few days of putting new dirt on the landing, it becomes like solid rock! How can I keep it soft so that I don't kill myself everytime I crash? Thanks...

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 23:34 Quote
Rake it after each session or like every 2 days use the gnarly toothed rakes of course and add dirt if seems to get smaller but raking it should do it.

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 23:36 Quote
Mg835 wrote:
Hey guys, I've built this table jump/kicker thingy and that's what I learn my tricks on... The only problem I have is that after a few days of putting new dirt on the landing, it becomes like solid rock! How can I keep it soft so that I don't kill myself everytime I crash? Thanks...

Don't use just dirt. Mix in hay, tanbark, etc. basically anything to keep it soft.

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 11:23 Quote
when it gets hard just go with ur shovel and turn the dirt up then rake it.

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 9:29 Quote
Any other ways? I was thinking maybe put like sand on top or something so that it never gets hard... Has anyone tried that?

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 9:33 Quote
that wouldnt work to good. the sand idea if u wanna keep it real soft mix hay in with the dirt that should keep it nice for a while

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 9:39 Quote
stab it with a pitchfork a gardening one not a farmer one but either are good, raking sounds like a good idea too

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 9:41 Quote
sand is a bad idea when it gets into wounds and bearings.

mixing mulch, hay, dried grass and other plant matter in with the dirt seems to be a good solution.

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 9:48 Quote
towers08 wrote:
water ??
water will do the exact opposite...

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 9:51 Quote
rake it, pitch fork it, keep putting soft planty shit on it too Smile

Posted: Aug 16, 2010 at 5:16 Quote
I'm trying to find ways of making a soft landing at the moment, and i've been thinking about stacking the base of the landing with either hay bails, or bags of hay, then putting dirt over the top.

Posted: Aug 16, 2010 at 20:30 Quote
Landscape supply places sell soft bark/woodchip that they use at playgrounds for kids so they don't hurt themselves falling, if you're just using it for a landing on a practice jump it's not going to cost too much, you could build a small landing out of dirt and lay the woodchip mixed with dirt over the top to build up a soft layer. The more you use the softer it will be.

Posted: Aug 17, 2010 at 2:03 Quote
DHmonkey123 wrote:
get garden soil
Like compost?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012319
Mobile Version of Website