SRAM vs Shimano

• Previous Page
O+
Posted: Mar 17, 2009 at 1:00 Quote
Throw down your arguments for why one is better than the other...I was tired of hijacking the craziest bike part thread.

I personally LOVE SRAM over Shimano for drivetrain components w/ the exception of cranks.

Views: 3,327    Faves: 5    Comments: 10

and another

Views: 4,083    Faves: 5    Comments: 8

Posted: Mar 17, 2009 at 1:04 Quote
Wasnt there a vid on SRAM vs Shimano some were???

O+
Posted: Mar 17, 2009 at 1:06 Quote
benmb1 wrote:

yeah there was...the shimano mech moved around SO much move. People say this disperses the forces but my experience is that it equates to dropped chains, and shifts not being nice.

EDIT Found it and posted

Posted: Mar 17, 2009 at 1:15 Quote
I like SRAM way beta for for derialers but I perfre shimano saint gear for cranks, breaks, ect

Posted: Mar 17, 2009 at 3:03 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
benmb1 wrote:

yeah there was...the shimano mech moved around SO much move. People say this disperses the forces but my experience is that it equates to dropped chains, and shifts not being nice.

EDIT Found it and posted

see i love how people knock the mech for bouncing around i will agree that the shimano mech does move a lot.

but no one has ever mentioned the fact that the sram mech eqipped bikes chain still bounces around just as much as the shimano mech equipped bikes chain.

Posted: Mar 17, 2009 at 3:05 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
benmb1 wrote:

EDIT Found it and posted

For the 2009 line up shimano has fixed the bounce, They added a small link plate now it doesn't move at all.

Once i get my new one I will put both a comparison to my old XT from last season which has 2 rides on it, An 09 X9 and my new saint.

Edit:

OLD XT 08
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://storesense4.megawebservers.com/stores/c/cycletofitness_com/catalog/rdm761sgs.jpg
NEW VERSION XT
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.shimano.com.au/publish/content/global_cycle/en/au/index/news_and_info/news/2008_deore_xt_preview.image.-mainParsys-0001-image.dash.300.360.gif
The link plate that bolts the derailleur onto the frame has fixed all the bounce issues

Posted: Mar 17, 2009 at 3:11 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
Throw down your arguments for why one is better than the other...I was tired of hijacking the craziest bike part thread.

I personally LOVE SRAM over Shimano for drivetrain components w/ the exception of cranks.

Views: 3,327    Faves: 5    Comments: 10

and another

Views: 4,083    Faves: 5    Comments: 8

Shimano has perfected the drive train and brakes. Only thing i really like from sram is the rock shox line of suspension.

Aside from that i prefer shimano.

Posted: Mar 17, 2009 at 3:27 Quote
totally agreed with gnarkore.Salute

Posted: Mar 17, 2009 at 3:37 Quote
marquis wrote:
id take my xt over an x9 and a saint or xtr over the xo anyday.

shimano shifts smoother, they work really well with each other, Easy to maintain and fix.

Now that shimano uses the thumb only shifting as well they got my vote.

But if i were offered a sponsor from shimano/fox and sram i dont know what i would do haha,

Posted: Mar 17, 2009 at 3:41 Quote
gnarkore wrote:
marquis wrote:

shimano shifts smoother, they work really well with each other, Easy to maintain and fix.

But if i were offered a sponsor from shimano/fox and sram i dont know what i would do haha,

some people over look the engineering and when i opened up my x9 to fit a new cable i was quite frankly disgusted in the lack of quality and cheapness of materials used.

im not saying sram are all bad because i have to admit i love thumb only shifting,and there cable routing idea was brilliant,its just a shame the price we pay isnt reflected in the materials sram use.

even the avid line are pretty shoddly finished in comparison to shimano,sorry but when your paying top dollar for something finish and quality are everything.

Posted: Mar 17, 2009 at 3:43 Quote
marquis wrote:
gnarkore wrote:
marquis wrote:

some people over look the engineering and when i opened up my x9 to fit a new cable i was quite frankly disgusted in the lack of quality and cheapness of materials used.

im not saying sram are all bad because i have to admit i love thumb only shifting,and there cable routing idea was brilliant,its just a shame the price we pay isnt reflected in the materials sram use.

Agreed, The X9 is nice but for the 130 i would be paying i would rather an xt shadow.

Posted: Mar 17, 2009 at 5:13 Quote
as a bike mechanic, I find SRAM is easier to setup (indexing) and is much more tolerant of the quality of the gear cable outer, and gear cable routing

you can run SRAM with dirty or damaged cabling, and still get a reliable shift

Shimano setups require better quality (genuine SIS) gear cable and it needs to be kept in good condition or replaced more regularly to maintain good indexing and shifting performance (low drag)

Shimano Shadow mechs are definitely more intolerant of setup than older Shimano derailleurs

I would actually say that Shimano mechs are tough, and can usually be straightened out if bent in a crash, and will still work with some reliability

SRAM mechs tend to stay bent once damage, and have a tendency to develop slop in the derailleur hanger mounting bolt, which causes indexing to wander...

really it comes down to preference, I like SRAM because of the heavier shifting action and tolerance of bad cable, others prefer Shimano because of the lighter, smoother shifting and better value

Posted: Mar 17, 2009 at 7:12 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:
as a bike mechanic, I find SRAM is easier to setup (indexing) and is much more tolerant of the quality of the gear cable outer, and gear cable routing

you can run SRAM with dirty or damaged cabling, and still get a reliable shift

Shimano setups require better quality (genuine SIS) gear cable and it needs to be kept in good condition or replaced more regularly to maintain good indexing and shifting performance (low drag)

Shimano Shadow mechs are definitely more intolerant of setup than older Shimano derailleurs

I would actually say that Shimano mechs are tough, and can usually be straightened out if bent in a crash, and will still work with some reliability

comopletely agreed, this is 100% true!!!

SRAM mechs tend to stay bent once damage, and have a tendency to develop slop in the derailleur hanger mounting bolt, which causes indexing to wander...

really it comes down to preference, I like SRAM because of the heavier shifting action and tolerance of bad cable, others prefer Shimano because of the lighter, smoother shifting and better value

completely agree!!

Posted: Mar 17, 2009 at 8:23 Quote
I'm much more a fan of Sram. I've ridden XT, Deore, and the like, and put a fair bit of saddle time in on XTR, though never owned it. I found the mechs were unreliable, often needing tuning mid ride, as any grimey stuff in the line messed about with them.

I've only owned X.0 and X.0 from Sram, but the amount of money I spent on Shimano mechs and shifters before I switched over could have bought me my X.0 two fold. Th whole myth about X.0 being fragile is just that, a myth. I've watched people slide off logs and literally put all their weight down on an their X.0, and not even need a retuning later. I know people that are still riding their original X.0 and have NEVER broken a cage, bolt, or absolutely anything on their derailer. In my experience, Shimano stuff just doesn't last.

Though, Shimano does have Sram beaten with basically every other aspect of the drivetrain. Chains, cassettes, chainrings, front derailers. Shimano just seems to be a step ahead, except for the rear derailer.

Posted: Mar 17, 2009 at 13:23 Quote
we've had a whole bunch of broken X-0 rear derailleurs come through my workshop - the carbon cage is somewhat fragile (I am not a fan of carbon in MTB applications) where a rock has flicked up and shattered the cage, or the dude has slipped a skinny and mangled the cage

the X-0 cage replacement costs more than the X-9 derailleur Frown

I always recommend going for X-0 or X-9 shifter pods and running X-7 rear derailleurs, as I have found the X-7 just as tough (if not tougher than due to more steel) the X-9 derailleur, and of course cheaper to replace when it gets mangled

depends on the kind of riding you do...lots of north shore, go X-7!! if riding XC or All-MTN then X-9 or X-0 (money to burn) should work out well

Shimano's XT cassette is definitely better value and shifts a little cleaner under full power than SRAM's PG-990, we sell alot of Hope Pro II wheelsets where you should really use a "spider-style" cassette on the rear hub to prevent damage to the softer aluminium Hope freehub body, and the XT cassette works great for this application

Shimano's Front derailleurs p*ss on SRAM's, SRAM has never made a good front derailleur...

Shimano's Hollowtech II cranksets like SLX, XT and Saint also p*ss on anything SRAM offer in the truvativ lineup

one of my most common workshop jobs is tossing broken Truvativ Howizter setups in the bin, and installing SLX (value) or Saint (more money), or XT for XC guys

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018981
Mobile Version of Website