Rocky Mountain Slayer Broken Frame - Photos Updated!

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Rocky Mountain Slayer Broken Frame - Photos Updated!
Posted: Feb 6, 2010 at 14:46 Quote
I am surprised how easily these frames will brake. Now that I've got a replacement for it, and that I am used to riding other bikes, I think I am going to start looking into something new (maybe a MOJO DH frame kit).

PS. Esto es para ti Thrice que vives en Mexico. Un saludo.

Posted: May 2, 2010 at 15:27 Quote
thrice wrote:
The Slayer had been updated a little. New SLX cranks, new 66 fork and Saint Brakes.

photo

Still, as expected. Last monday I noticed the bike started to crack in the same place it did the first time around. I had noticed the slight hairline fractures before, but was hoping they where scratches. Now its confirmed. The bike died for the third time (Do I hold some kind of record? Not that I would be proud.)

photo

So, I went ahead and ordered a Nomad frame. The one I had been thinking of ordering anyway. The break just made me go for it, after a couple of months of thinking about it.

Still, I sent the e-mail to the local dealer, hoping some kind of warranty is still in place. Here we go again.

She's back.

Rocky Mountain pulled through with the warranty once again. I called them up, and they where awesome about everything. They where fast too. It was me this time that took a bit of time to pick up the warrantied rear swingarm from the dealership.

Anyway, I bought a new frame in the mean time. Thought it was time to update since the Slayer was breaking so often. The warrantied Slayer frame was rebuilt with some parts from my dad's XC bike and I had it set up for my dad now. So it will live on after all. Here is a pic of the new setup as well as the new ride.

photo

photo

Posted: Jun 8, 2010 at 21:54 Quote
shondo wrote:
thrice wrote:
But Im loosing faith in this All Mountain class. An SX Trail would be mroe along the lines of what I would be looking for. But still, I think these new frames are made for the flowy freeride riders, not the novice free ride riders who just huck over stuff and land with absolutely no style (me). But anyway, its way too soon to start thinking about a new bike. I hope this works out.

Don't freak out yet man.Sounds like your break is probably a one time occurrence.
That Slayer is a pretty nice bike, and should handle some tough riding.
My buddy Pete crossed the Alps and then later the Rockies riding a Slayer this summer.
If you really want to actually "freeride" or try Downhilling, You really should just get a dedicated gravity specific bike. Then you'd have two nice bikes.Smile
i have a slayer 70 built up to be a freeride bike its nearly the same spec as my buddies sx trail and it rides far nicer and much less creaky his is even newer ive never had any problems with any of my rocky frames except my pipeline but that is an old frame my two rmxs have been perfect and my slayer is great too it can do everything i want it to even with a 66 and full saint and what not

Posted: Jun 11, 2010 at 13:12 Quote
if it's so great why are you selling it?

Posted: Jun 11, 2010 at 13:23 Quote
rideonjon wrote:
if it's so great why are you selling it?
im not actively looking to sell it but awhile ago i rode a slayer ss and wanted to sell mine and get one of those but ive set the suspension up a little differently on my bike and have found a new love in it

Posted: Jun 11, 2010 at 14:12 Quote
^ Please do tell more about that new suspension setup.

Posted: Jun 14, 2010 at 9:32 Quote
thrice wrote:
^ Please do tell more about that new suspension setup.
i dunno i just through a 66vf2 on it and burped it so there is negative psi in it making it super plush and responsive and i just set the rear suspension up with lots of sag and made its so that the rear suspension just feels like my rmx its a sick bike

Posted: Jul 20, 2010 at 20:13 Quote
I broke my 2001 slayer in the same spot as thrice and lefrog a few years ago. rm replaced it after a long wait cost me nothing. Today I broke it again The pivot near the bottom bracket I sheared the bolt on the one side off. It had been working so good too Frown

Posted: Jul 21, 2010 at 7:33 Quote
^ Is it still under warranty? I bet that frame has been through a lot.

Posted: Jul 24, 2010 at 14:39 Quote
Its not under warranty Frown yeah it has been through alot

Posted: Aug 5, 2010 at 8:49 Quote
Guess what, I just broke my RM Slayer (2005 or 2006, I always forget...) at the exact same place !!! Do I get a membership card or somethings ???

Seriously, it's look like my LBS and RM will replace my rear triangle for free but after I read all this posts I feel discouraged and I think that I will begin to look for a new frame...

Do you have any suggestion ??? My slayer is (or was ???) a XL (20.5), I'm a tall(6'5) and heavy (240lbs) rider so I need something big and tough. I ride all mountain trails with some DH when I get the opportunity (I'm not so good in dh so no big drop or jump).

Posted: Aug 5, 2010 at 9:45 Quote
Welcome to the club. We hang out on wednesdays to break frames and shit. Wink

My suggestion is don't be discouraged yet. Be nice to the RM people you talk with and with the dealers you talk with and they will most probably hook you up with what you need. might take a few weeks, but you most probably won't have to dish out any cash.

The bike is a nice bike, but some of us, as I've learned, just tend to break stuff. My slayer went through 3 warranties so, I can't say I'm not pleased with their service. I decided after almost 4 years that I needed a new bike and I went for the Santa Cruz Nomad. But to be honest, I can't say I'm sure it will outlast my Slayer, we'll see.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

Posted: Aug 5, 2010 at 10:10 Quote
so you got a Nomad huh? my Teacher raced DH on it at whistler

Posted: Aug 5, 2010 at 14:02 Quote
Yeah, the bike rides downhill pretty decently. I took a first place at the National Downhill Race that took place in my home town a couple of months ago. It was in the intermediate class, but still, I was racing against guys with 8 inches of travel front and back.

Posted: Aug 5, 2010 at 14:14 Quote
thrice wrote:
Yeah, the bike rides downhill pretty decently. I took a first place at the National Downhill Race that took place in my home town a couple of months ago. It was in the intermediate class, but still, I was racing against guys with 8 inches of travel front and back.
Nice!! you should set that nomad up for Endurance and race this thing its pretty much a yakuza with different name and paint http://www.giantnerd.com/airborne-taka-mountain-bike-freeride-downhill.html

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.017074
Mobile Version of Website