My Wheel Building Guide

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
My Wheel Building Guide
Posted: Nov 27, 2016 at 16:15 Quote
Thepureface wrote:
I have a question guys.

I recently bought some carbon fibre rims and am unsure about nipples...I usually use brass but would like to get the. Weight of the aluminum nipples.

Am I wasting my time using them?

Any tips to successfully use aluminum nipples?

In the past they stripped on me, when using the tool to tighten.

Preparation is key. Use a decent spoke prep on the spoke, let dry. Apply a little dab of oil to the inside of the rim and nipple where they sit together, I like linseed but any oil will do. Use a decent spoke wrench to adjust.

Most problems with alloy nipples come from a seized nipple/spoke interface that leads to spoke wrench damage, or slack spokes that lead to head damage (from the nipple's head banging against the rim).

I'm in a dry climate and have had no problems with Sapim Polyax nipples at all. I've been running them on my DH wheelset all year and they're fine. If you find you need to adjust your wheels alot and live in a wetter climate then brass will have less of a tendancy to sieze and will last longer.

32g for brass vs 11g alloy.... You have to be a special sort to really justify the alloy nipples Wink

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 at 16:19 Quote
Forget the spoke prep. Just use linseed oil. I seriously hate spoke prep.

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 at 16:38 Quote
Haha damn, I didn't realize it was only like 20grams. Still almost an oz

I probably will go brass, with linseed oil as well

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 at 17:20 Quote
Stick with Brass nipples.. still some of the best. And if you are building Carbon rims, if you use a petoleum based lubricant, it may penetrate the carbon and damage it.... use only NON petroleum lubricants..

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 at 21:28 Quote
stymiecat wrote:
Stick with Brass nipples.. still some of the best. And if you are building Carbon rims, if you use a petoleum based lubricant, it may penetrate the carbon and damage it.... use only NON petroleum lubricants..

Thanks.

Posted: Dec 12, 2016 at 2:04 Quote
just got zee front hub and mavic xm719 rim 36 holes would 262mm long spokes be a good choice?

Posted: Jan 12, 2017 at 5:40 Quote
just using the DT swiss calculator. ook be grateful if someone can explain this. It gives accurate (eg 262) but recommended 260. why would a spoke 2mm than accurate be recommended?

Posted: Jan 12, 2017 at 9:10 Quote
mattygee020671 wrote:
just using the DT swiss calculator. ook be grateful if someone can explain this. It gives accurate (eg 262) but recommended 260. why would a spoke 2mm than accurate be recommended?

It's probably giving you an average size to make buying spokes easier.

Posted: Jan 12, 2017 at 13:08 Quote
seraph wrote:
mattygee020671 wrote:

I could understand if the recommended was longer than the accurate but shorter?

Posted: Jan 12, 2017 at 13:16 Quote
mattygee020671 wrote:
seraph wrote:
mattygee020671 wrote:

What are the other spoke lengths for the wheel?

and/or what are the dimensions for the build? I can plug them into another builder and see what it comes up with.

Posted: Jan 12, 2017 at 14:14 Quote
seraph wrote:
mattygee020671 wrote:
seraph wrote:

and/or what are the dimensions for the build? I can plug them into another builder and see what it comes up with.

Got them saved I'll post tomorrow, appreciate another opinion. Thanks Seraph.
photo

front is CK LD 20mm and rear is pro 4 boost

Posted: Jan 15, 2017 at 20:48 Quote
Hey guys, im building a wheel. I used prowheelbuilder online spoke calculator to get the spoke lengths.
So while i tension up the spokes, i follow the chart and pull them to 110kgf. But the thing is, both side cannot be 110kgf if i want the dish. If i tighten both left and right side, it will be off dished.

How do i determine what tension to run on the longer spoke side then? just pull one side till 110kgf and make sure the wheel is dished ?

Posted: Jan 16, 2017 at 16:12 Quote
ShortBoi wrote:
Hey guys, im building a wheel. I used prowheelbuilder online spoke calculator to get the spoke lengths.
So while i tension up the spokes, i follow the chart and pull them to 110kgf. But the thing is, both side cannot be 110kgf if i want the dish. If i tighten both left and right side, it will be off dished.

How do i determine what tension to run on the longer spoke side then? just pull one side till 110kgf and make sure the wheel is dished ?

You want higher tension on the drive side in the back, and on the disc side in the front.

Posted: Jan 16, 2017 at 16:24 Quote
mattygee020671 wrote:
seraph wrote:
mattygee020671 wrote:

Got them saved I'll post tomorrow, appreciate another opinion. Thanks Seraph.
photo

front is CK LD 20mm and rear is pro 4 boost

With my calculator I'm getting front 261 NDS/262 DS, and rear 262 NDS/261 DS. So it looks like you could get away with getting a box of 262 and 261, if they're available in the gauge you want.

Posted: Jan 16, 2017 at 23:12 Quote
photo

photo

and here we have a totally different calculation.

i have been advised that 12mm nipples 264/266 & 14mm Nipples 264/262.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.135677
Mobile Version of Website