My Wheel Building Guide

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
My Wheel Building Guide
O+
Posted: Apr 25, 2019 at 3:08 Quote
Kbes13 wrote:
Hi,
I got a new rim and now I am going to build my first wheel.
I got the possibility to use a trueing stand so I decided I wanted to learn how to build a wheel because it is a useful skill.
But do I need to buy a tension-meter?

Thank You
Jakob

yes you need one. a strong wheel is only possible if the spoke tension is homogeneous. on my book, that's more important than a straight wheel, which used to be the case with smashed aluminum rims.
having said that, you don't need a fancy one. the simple one from park tool will do just fine for amateurs.

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 4:06 Quote
Hi i want to build a dt swiss wheel
İ calculated the spoke length (273-272)
There is no 273mm option
272 is okay for both sides?

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 9:02 Quote
Noeserd wrote:
There is no 273mm option

What is the exact measurement? Go use the DT Swiss spoke calculator.

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 11:34 Quote
seraph wrote:
Noeserd wrote:
There is no 273mm option

Already calculated
Drive side 272
Non drive 273
But there is no 273 option for sale anywhere

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 12:02 Quote
seraph wrote:
Noeserd wrote:
There is no 273mm option

Already calculated
Drive side 272
Non drive 273

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 12:36 Quote
Noeserd wrote:
seraph wrote:
Noeserd wrote:
There is no 273mm option

Already calculated
Drive side 272
Non drive 273

What are the exact numbers they give you though? I highly doubt that they're giving you perfectly whole numbers.

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 9:19 Quote
Quick question.

Does it matter strenght wise when building a wheel how many threads the nipple engages on the spoke? I'm using few mm short spokes and i have 1-2mm thread visible on spokes. When it comes to bolts, i do believe its only the few first threads that actually take the load, not all threads..

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 10:25 Quote
Bnito wrote:
Quick question.

Does it matter strenght wise when building a wheel how many threads the nipple engages on the spoke? I'm using few mm short spokes and i have 1-2mm thread visible on spokes. When it comes to bolts, i do believe its only the few first threads that actually take the load, not all threads..

Yes, it matters. I don't treat spoke nipples like regular nuts and bolts. You don't want any threads showing.

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 18:17 Quote
seraph wrote:
Bnito wrote:
Quick question.

Yes, it matters. I don't treat spoke nipples like regular nuts and bolts. You don't want any threads showing.

+1 it definetly matters.
If the spoke does not reach to the top of the nipple head, the force rests all on the thin shoulder of the nipple.
The spoke thread to the top of the nipple head distributes force to the spoke.
If threads are showing you are way too short and it won't be long before all your nipples start snapping.

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 23:41 Quote
Ok, thanks for the replies.

I've ordered a set of longer spokes. Still learning so few mistakes are expected... Soon i will have all the spoke lenghts in stock Big Grin

Posted: Jan 18, 2020 at 9:09 Quote
Ok, so i've now built the rear wheel, i have now 3 different lenghts of spokes as i'm kinda learning.

I tried with 260mm, 256mm and then 258mm spokes on a 3 laced wheels, and the last one was spot on finally Smile

Now the front wheel is weird. I've already built it with 256 spokes, but as i've mentioned there is like 1mm of thread showing, i did now try to lace it with 258 mm spokes, but they're wayyy to long. I don't get it, its only 2mm difference yet still feels like so much more. Kinda out of options, and will propably do them again with 256 spokes.

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 0:43 Quote
Can you reuse prolock nipples? Does the threadlock still work second time round?

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 3:10 Quote
peeldog wrote:
Can you reuse prolock nipples? Does the threadlock still work second time round?
Yes.

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 7:39 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
peeldog wrote:
Yes.

Cheers mate

O+
Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 8:18 Quote
Bnito wrote:
Ok, thanks for the replies.

I've ordered a set of longer spokes. Still learning so few mistakes are expected... Soon i will have all the spoke lenghts in stock Big Grin

Get a spoke threader and cut perfect sizes...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013252
Mobile Version of Website