My Wheel Building Guide

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
My Wheel Building Guide
Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 9:32 Quote
asmtb wrote:
Bnito wrote:
Ok, thanks for the replies.

I've ordered a set of longer spokes. Still learning so few mistakes are expected... Soon i will have all the spoke lenghts in stock Big Grin

Get a spoke threader and cut perfect sizes...

Any recommendations on a decent thread cutter for the home mechanic?

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 9:36 Quote
peeldog wrote:
asmtb wrote:
Bnito wrote:

I've ordered a set of longer spokes. Still learning so few mistakes are expected... Soon i will have all the spoke lenghts in stock Big Grin

There's only one worth buying. It's made by Phil wood, you don't want to know the price.

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 10:24 Quote
peeldog wrote:
asmtb wrote:
Bnito wrote:

Ouch. Too much for this home mechanic! Nice piece of kit though

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 11:24 Quote
One day I will have a Phil Wood spoke cutter in my garage

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 11:40 Quote
seraph wrote:

Its only the price of a great carbon bike... $6300

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 11:42 Quote
It's on sale here - https://www.americancycle.com/product/phil-wood-spoke-cutting-and-threading-machine/

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 12:35 Quote
asmtb wrote:
seraph wrote:

There's employee purchase pricing actually. One small benefit of being in the industry.

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 18:52 Quote
seraph wrote:
asmtb wrote:
seraph wrote:

There's employee purchase pricing actually. One small benefit of being in the industry.

Posted: Feb 29, 2020 at 0:57 Quote
Do you lads recommend using new spokes or can I reuse ones that have been laced up and tensioned but not ridden?

Posted: Feb 29, 2020 at 1:41 Quote
peeldog wrote:
Do you lads recommend using new spokes or can I reuse ones that have been laced up and tensioned but not ridden?
New is always preferred.

Posted: Feb 29, 2020 at 3:33 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
peeldog wrote:
New is always preferred.

Thanks for a quick response

Posted: Feb 29, 2020 at 9:29 Quote
I've always used new spokes and nipples with new rims. I tell customers this and I've been met with some very hostile responses.
"You can't reuse old spokes and nipples with your new rim and old hub"
"Well why not?? I've never heard that before!"
"Well cool, are you a professional wheel builder? Or are you just judging based off of Youtube videos?"

I think a lot of customers assume that I'm just trying to upcharge them by selling them new spokes and nipples. But realistically I'm just trying to make sure their wheel will turn out straight and properly tensioned.

Posted: Feb 29, 2020 at 20:34 Quote
seraph wrote:
I've always used new spokes and nipples with new rims. I tell customers this and I've been met with some very hostile responses.
"You can't reuse old spokes and nipples with your new rim and old hub"
"Well why not?? I've never heard that before!"
"Well cool, are you a professional wheel builder? Or are you just judging based off of Youtube videos?"

I think a lot of customers assume that I'm just trying to upcharge them by selling them new spokes and nipples. But realistically I'm just trying to make sure their wheel will turn out straight and properly tensioned.
when I was in a shop I used to tell them that if we didn't use new parts for a wheel build then we couldn't guarantee our work because the condition of the parts was unknown; and that's why we wouldn't do it. (Other than used hubs of course)

Same thing for the people who asked us to patch their tubes.

Posted: Mar 22, 2020 at 12:01 Quote
What end tension should i aim for?
DT Swiss EX511
350 148
Competition spokes
Brass squorx

Cheers in advance

Posted: Mar 22, 2020 at 13:12 Quote
peeldog wrote:
What end tension should i aim for?

Look up the maximum tension rating for the rim. Spokes on the side with less flange offset should be at, or a little below, this value. Let's say definitely within 20%, and within 10% would be ideal.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007323
Mobile Version of Website