My Wheel Building Guide

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
My Wheel Building Guide
Posted: Jan 17, 2021 at 21:11 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
seraph wrote:
I have had problems with Wheelsmith nipples on DT spokes before, due to poorly cut threads.

In which case, you would've had the same problems with Wheelsmith nipples on Wheelsmith spokes!

Yes, as we often do. Wheelsmith stuff isn't very high quality.

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 12:08 Quote
Is it worth it to buy a used Ts 2 truing stand with TS-2EXT.3 adaptor for 29 mtb wheels instead of buying a Ts 2.2 brand new?

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 12:10 Quote
Looli wrote:
Is it worth it to buy a used Ts 2 truing stand with TS-2EXT.3 adaptor for 29 mtb wheels instead of buying a Ts 2.2 brand new?
depends on the price difference. Truing stands aren't rocket science. You're unlikely to be missing out on any new features.

I'm pretty sure you can fit 29" mtb wheels in a TS-2 without the extensions as long as you take the tire off.

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 12:52 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Looli wrote:
depends on the price difference. Truing stands aren't rocket science. You're unlikely to be missing out on any new features.

I'm pretty sure you can fit 29" mtb wheels in a TS-2 without the extensions as long as you take the tire off.

Taking the tire off to true the wheel is ridiculous. Another reason to not ever buy Enve.

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 14:31 Quote
seraph wrote:
Nobble wrote:
Looli wrote:

Taking the tire off to true the wheel is ridiculous. Another reason to not ever buy Enve.
depends how often you're doing it.

In a shop doing 5-10 wheels a day? Definitely.

At home if you can save $100 on the stand and it's only gonna be 1-2 times a year? I'd probably live with it. I mostly only use the stand for wheel building anyway.

Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 11:45 Quote
Do you guys use any nipple prep with DT Pro Lock Squorx? I was thinking maybe some grease

Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 13:19 Quote
Looli wrote:
Do you guys use any nipple prep with DT Pro Lock Squorx? I was thinking maybe some grease

DT claims you don't need to, but I still use linseed oil.

Posted: Feb 2, 2021 at 13:21 Quote
Looli wrote:

Here is how I prep my rims and nipples before a build, but using Sapim spokes and Polyax Secure Lock. I'd do the same if using DT.

Inside of the rim around the spoke hole I give it some Sram Butter with an inverted nippel on a spoke. My nipples are put in a strainer and then submerged into some WPL Fork Oil 10WT. I dip the threads of the spokes into the WPL oil aswell.

Posted: Feb 2, 2021 at 13:24 Quote
Putting lubricants in all the right places. SRAM Butter is a very light grease, though; you might as well use the thickest grease you can get between the rim and the nipples.

Posted: Feb 2, 2021 at 13:44 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Putting lubricants in all the right places. SRAM Butter is a very light grease, though; you might as well use the thickest grease you can get between the rim and the nipples.

As I see it and use it, I only need the nipple to tighten at it's best when building the wheel. Tho i've never had any binding nipples on well worn)used wheels that needed some truing. The Sram Butter seems to do the job.

Posted: Feb 2, 2021 at 13:52 Quote
The more freely the nipple moves against the rim, the less likely the spoke is to loosen.

Posted: Feb 7, 2021 at 13:24 Quote
What's people's approach to tension dropping after the tyre is fitted and inflated? Do you do anything about preemptively or once the tyre is fitted (which would not aways be an option I suppose) or just build to the desired tension and leave it at that?

Posted: Feb 7, 2021 at 13:27 Quote
dingus wrote:
What's people's approach to tension dropping after the tyre is fitted and inflated? Do you do anything about preemptively or once the tyre is fitted (which would not aways be an option I suppose) or just build to the desired tension and leave it at that?

I set the tension without the tire seated/inflated, and then revisit and re-tension after a few rides, with the tire still installed.

Posted: Feb 7, 2021 at 13:32 Quote
Do you aim for the same tension both times?

Posted: Feb 7, 2021 at 14:41 Quote
dingus wrote:
Do you aim for the same tension both times?

Yes.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005627
Mobile Version of Website