My Wheel Building Guide

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
My Wheel Building Guide
| Next Page
Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 12:38 Quote
@justjake

I cant comment on the length of the spokes as I see that you have used the ERD that DT Swiss claims.
Do your self a favor and get the rims home first and meassure the ERD your self. You often cant use the listed ERD.

I've used the spoke calc from wheelpro on all my builds and it have been spot on.

Remember if you use the DT Swiss calc it will subtract 1mm from the spoke with DT 14mm nipples and 2mm from 16mm nipples.

If you use Sapim nipples the internal threads are the same 12, 14 and 16mm nipples.

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 0:37 Quote
justjake wrote:
seraph wrote:
justjake wrote:
Looking to build my first set of wheels and doing the calcs, would anybody like to weigh in as I’m not 100% certain at this point, here are my specs and calcs so far:

Rim:​​FR560
Size:​​27.5
Holes:​​32
Rim ERD:​563mm
Height:​​21mm
ID:​​30mm
OD:​​35mm

Hub:​​Hope Pro 4 12 x 148 boost
PCD L:​​57mm
PCD R:​​57mm
Spoke ID:​2.6mm
Spoke no:​32
Offset L:​35mm
Offset R:​22mm
Pattern:​3-cross J bend

Spokecalc.io:​​Non-drive = 272.81mm & Drive = 271.46 mm
UBI:​​​Non-drive = 272.8mm & Drive = 272.5mm
QBC:​​​Non-drive = 273mm & Drive = 271.5mm
Freespoke:​​Non-drive = 273mm & Drive = 271.5mm

Any advice appreciated, this is just for the rear.

If you got 14mm brass DT Swiss nipples, looks like you could do 272mm left, 270mm right.

Right ok, I’ll look into that. What’s the rule of thumb when spoke length falls between sizes, i.e. 0.5mm, do you round up or down? Thanks!

Generally speaking, you round down for the drive side and round up for the non-drive side (rear only). To a point though. Figure that your drive side spokes will be higher tension than non-drive side and thus are more likely to bottom out under tension. Likewise your non-drive side spokes are unlikely to bottom out as their tension plays second banana fiddle to the drive side spokes.

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 8:10 Quote
seraph wrote:
Generally speaking, you round down for the drive side and round up for the non-drive side (rear only). To a point though. Figure that your drive side spokes will be higher tension than non-drive side and thus are more likely to bottom out under tension. Likewise your non-drive side spokes are unlikely to bottom out as their tension plays second banana fiddle to the drive side spokes.

I'm going through the same thing with my custom build - here's what I've got:

i9 hydras laced to ex511, 32h, 3x

Front Drive: 294.4
Front ND: 290.6
Rear Drive: 290.1
Rear ND: 291.8

All the spoke suppliers for sapim d-lights that I'm looking at only work in EVEN numbers, which works for everything but that front ND which should be 291.

Do you think it's ok to go down to 290 for that side?

Thanks!

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 8:37 Quote
Jvhowube wrote:
seraph wrote:

All the spoke suppliers for sapim d-lights that I'm looking at only work in EVEN numbers, which works for everything but that front ND which should be 291.

Thanks!
I'd use the following lengths if I got those calc spoke lenghts:

Front DS 296
Front NDS 292
Rear DS 290
Rear NDS 292

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 10:02 Quote
Thorjensen wrote:
Jvhowube wrote:
seraph wrote:

Thanks!

Front DS 296
Front NDS 292
Rear DS 290
Rear NDS 292

I definitely wouldn't round up on the front NDS. Round down. Adding 2mm could lead to bottoming out at or before tension.

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 14:18 Quote
seraph wrote:
Thorjensen wrote:
Jvhowube wrote:

Thanks!

Front DS 296
Front NDS 292
Rear DS 290
Rear NDS 292

I definitely wouldn't round up on the front NDS. Round down. Adding 2mm could lead to bottoming out at or before tension.

Been there before and it wont.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006151
Mobile Version of Website