why mechanical for dj/street?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
why mechanical for dj/street?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 9:44 Quote
why is it better to use mechanical brakes for street? i have always liked the feel of hydraulic, but im building a street bike so i was wondering why i should (or shouldnt) get mechanical.

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 9:47 Quote
mechanicals have a way better feel for street and they will last much much longer

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 9:51 Quote
Mechanicals are better for street as hydraulics can get damaged easily, i.e. seals going under lots of pressure such as yanking a lever for a stall etc. Plus snagging a hose can mean fluid everywhere in the street and a buggered brake, snag a cable and its less likely to break off, and you can just remove it or tuck it away and fit a new one when you get home.

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 11:10 Quote
all of the mechanical brakes i have used have been real jerky. with hydroulics i liked them because its easy to ease the brakes. mayb its just cause i used crappy brakes. but is it like that with better ones like avid bb7s?

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 11:22 Quote
any more advice?

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 11:26 Quote
attack11 wrote:
the best brake for a street ride is hydraulic. disc is the problem.

What?! that makes no sense. mechanichal is better, you dont need the power, you dont need better performance with heat, they are cheaper, you dont need the modulation, you dont have to worry about blowing a line.

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 11:31 Quote
stay away from bb5s. bb7s are real nice though. but i really like shimano deores the most. never owned the bb7s, but i've worked on them, i've owned the shimanos and was very happy them. i've owned bb5s. they use tiny brake pads and felt underpowered compared to the shimanos.

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 11:37 Quote
ok thanks. any one else have any advice on hydrulics vs mechanicals for dj/street?

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 11:37 Quote
roro4000 wrote:
stay away from bb5s. bb7s are real nice though. but i really like shimano deores the most. never owned the bb7s, but i've worked on them, i've owned the shimanos and was very happy them. i've owned bb5s. they use tiny brake pads and felt underpowered compared to the shimanos.

why stay away from bb5's? they have just about the same amount of power and feel as the bb7, just without the inboard adjustment knob, and slightly smaller brake pads.

deores are hydros, that's probably why they're better. and as for the underpoweredness, i have hayes stroker rydes and my bb5s were much more powerful and had more holding power to boot, mainly due to fully metallic pads.

your bb5s were probably "underpowered" due to poor setup or a bad choice in brake levers - my friend's little brother has bb5's on his trek jack and feel like shit because he's got them hooked up to alivio combo levers, whereas i had amazing power with avid fr5's.

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 11:49 Quote
do what you feel more comfortable with.. i like hydro because of the power and ease of the pull

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 12:12 Quote
m3hl wrote:
attack11 wrote:

What?! that makes no sense. mechanichal is better, you dont need the power, you dont need better performance with heat, they are cheaper, you dont need the modulation, you dont have to worry about blowing a line.

show me a disc system that's designed for an abubaka, or anything that will involve rolling backwards.

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 12:27 Quote
^^^dude you are making no sense at all...

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 12:30 Quote
attack11 wrote:
m3hl wrote:
attack11 wrote:

show me a disc system that's designed for an abubaka, or anything that will involve rolling backwards.

what? what point are you trying to make?

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 12:35 Quote
ihateyourface wrote:
attack11 wrote:
m3hl wrote:

what? what point are you trying to make?

that the magura hs33 hydro vees are the best brake system for street and trials alike.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009836
Mobile Version of Website