why mechanical for dj/street?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
why mechanical for dj/street?
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 at 23:27 Quote
evanmott wrote:
wolff wrote:
In my opinion i prefer hydraulic disk brakes. Mechanicals are more unreliable compared to hydraulic. On a hydraulic you don't have to play around with the the wire on them. And hydraulics have more stopping power. I agree with 'attack11' - if you were building a trails bike then get a hydraulic disk on the front [ a hope one would be good ] and a hydraulic V on the rear.
ok your in the wrong forum buddy, can't you read? The guy is building a DJ/PARK BIKE not a damn trails bike.
lol i meant to say street

Posted: Nov 28, 2007 at 23:30 Quote
Because you dont need the stopping power of a hydro, and mechs are 100x easier to adjust/get parts for than hydros

Posted: Nov 28, 2007 at 23:31 Quote
wolff wrote:
evanmott wrote:
wolff wrote:
In my opinion i prefer hydraulic disk brakes. Mechanicals are more unreliable compared to hydraulic. On a hydraulic you don't have to play around with the the wire on them. And hydraulics have more stopping power. I agree with 'attack11' - if you were building a trails bike then get a hydraulic disk on the front [ a hope one would be good ] and a hydraulic V on the rear.
ok your in the wrong forum buddy, can't you read? The guy is building a DJ/PARK BIKE not a damn trails bike.
lol haha kk
i take back my comment then Beer

Posted: Nov 28, 2007 at 23:35 Quote
evanmott wrote:
wolff wrote:
evanmott wrote:
lol haha kk
i take back my comment then Beer

lolBeer

Posted: Nov 29, 2007 at 6:40 Quote
m3hl wrote:
attack11 wrote:
the best brake for a street ride is hydraulic. disc is the problem.

What?! that makes no sense. mechanichal is better, you dont need the power, you dont need better performance with heat, they are cheaper, you dont need the modulation, you dont have to worry about blowing a line.

It does make sense....you could always use hydrolic rim brakes....like on a trials bike

Posted: Nov 29, 2007 at 6:45 Quote
spoiledgoods wrote:
theplanet wrote:
08 avid code, 4 inch rotor, juicy ultimate lever.

horray for a 1 finger abubuca brake

Where can I get a 4 inch rotor? someone message me or something!~

Posted: Dec 4, 2007 at 3:41 Quote
all these ppl...all u need for street/dirt/park is a avid bb7 a gusset XL linear cable and a avid 7 brake lever. you get all that for under 60 quid and its all 2008 kit. the caliper is 40 quid on crc. It gives you plenty of stopping power for stalls etc without the hassle of a gay hydrolic! u can even adjust it by hand when u r riding!Big Grin

Posted: Dec 4, 2007 at 4:43 Quote
Mechanical because:
a) cheap
b) easy to replace
c) light
d) wont get ripped out and spray fluid everywhere - that shit stains the ground, you, and god help you if it gets in your eyes.

Posted: Dec 4, 2007 at 4:59 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://webzoom.freewebs.com/wa6dij/anchor-medium.jpg
I win.

Posted: Dec 4, 2007 at 5:00 Quote
lionel17 wrote:
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://webzoom.freewebs.com/wa6dij/anchor-medium.jpg
I win.
wtf?

Posted: Dec 4, 2007 at 5:26 Quote
schwarz wrote:
Mechanical because:
a) cheap
b) easy to replace
c) light
d) wont get ripped out and spray fluid everywhere - that shit stains the ground, you, and god help you if it gets in your eyes.

actually, when i put on bb7s on my bike and took off my hydros, my bike gained weight, about half a pound of weight. that, and my hydros were entry level hayes stroker rydes.

hydro systems are usually lighter than mechs because mechs require a steel brake cable running inside a steel-reinforced housing. that's what makes them heavier than a hydraulic system.

but a, b and d are true, and clarifying b - they are cheaper to replace, and easier to service when you're in a bind - with a hydro you would have bring a bleed kit everywhere along with an extra hose.

clarifying d - more bothersome and realistic is the fact that it may contaminate your brake pads, or if you're using DOT fluid, corrode the paint your bike.

Posted: Dec 4, 2007 at 5:41 Quote
you can get a cheap hydro like a juicy 3 for around the same price as a mech.
why not have better modulation, feel, self adjustment and heat resistance???

hoses dont snap often, unless youre a bit of a spastic. ive never managed to ruin mine and i ride like a twat, always chucking my bike and crashing. besides shitty cables have to be adjusted and cleaned

if you ride street you should run a rim break really anyway, theres no advantage of a mech disk brake to a hydro disk brake for street, both run discs and can bend out of shape. if anything mechanicals need bigger discs so it more of a problem

blah blah, use a hydro

Posted: Dec 4, 2007 at 5:44 Quote
I got a mx2 caliper/lever if you want them

Posted: Dec 4, 2007 at 18:12 Quote
jduggz5 wrote:
hey guys...easy. i just wanted to no if mechanical or hyrdo brakes would work better for dj/street and why. haha so i didnt meen to start this dispute over more stuff...but it is useful sooo..thanks.

I have bb7's on my prophet and I love them, and I have bb5's on my chase there almost as good but if you have the money spend the extra. I have used all sorts of hayes hydro's and think the bb7's are very close in power, but don't have all the problems.

Posted: Dec 5, 2007 at 13:08 Quote
completely agree mate avid bb7 all the way

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016503
Mobile Version of Website