my fork is loose in my headset/headtube

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
my fork is loose in my headset/headtube
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 20, 2009 at 10:55 Quote
so i put my headset in my headtube then slid in my fork and it seems really loose, do i need a new fork or can i make that fit somehow?
photo
photo

Posted: Mar 20, 2009 at 10:57 Quote
what fork is that?

Posted: Mar 20, 2009 at 10:58 Quote
Do you have 2 crown races on?! One on the steerer and the other sitting in the bottom cup?

Posted: Mar 20, 2009 at 10:58 Quote
juan0724 wrote:
what fork is that?
frame: MacNeil Young 2
fork: not sure, it was stock on my DK

Posted: Mar 20, 2009 at 11:01 Quote
it looks like they have integrated race, which means you don't need the bottom spacer of the headset try taking it off and let the bearing sit on the fork.
edit** ignore last post take your forks off and the remove the black race on the bottom of the fork.

Posted: Mar 20, 2009 at 11:04 Quote
okay thanks that worked, but new problem. the king nut or what ever its called that goes through the headset and stem is two narrow for my fork

Posted: Mar 20, 2009 at 11:07 Quote
gregdeand wrote:
so i put my headset in my headtube then slid in my fork and it seems really loose, do i need a new fork or can i make that fit somehow?
photo
photo

I had the same problem.
To resolve it i had a friend sit on my tyre while the bike was upside down and tightened the stem. To make it extra secure i found a longer bolt that had the same threas as the initial headset and tightened that worked perfect ever since.

Posted: Mar 20, 2009 at 11:08 Quote
its called top cap, if it doesn't fit that's weird did it fit before? if not i guess your going to have to run your bike without it.
photo

like that

Posted: Mar 20, 2009 at 11:17 Quote
juan0724 wrote:
its called top cap, if it doesn't fit that's weird did it fit before? if not i guess your going to have to run your bike without it.
photo
like that

you really shouldn't do that.

are you useing the same cap as before or did you change it?

Posted: Mar 20, 2009 at 11:22 Quote
fireninja wrote:
juan0724 wrote:
photo
like that

well my FSA impact headset came with a cap but i guess i could just use my old DK one, thanks for all the help guys

Posted: Mar 20, 2009 at 12:22 Quote
fireninja wrote:
juan0724 wrote:
photo
like that

wuts wrong with not having a top cap??

Posted: Mar 20, 2009 at 12:25 Quote
You can't preload your headset

Posted: Mar 20, 2009 at 12:33 Quote
thats my bike, its fine to do, you can preload it then just take it out but thats pointless, my preload bolt broke so i've gone without for allllong time with no issues. All you need to go is get a clamp, i use a carpenter one (the kind you use to let glue set in joints and such), you have to wedge the clamp under your fork drop out and on top of your stem, first make sure everythings straight, 2nd tighten the clamp as hard as you can without breaking anything, tighten your stem bolts to a reasonable tightness and remove the clamp. It's worked fine for me and i don't even notice its missing, this is the problem with your fork, the lack of preloading your headset is giving your headset a jiggle.

heres mine now.

photo

Posted: Mar 20, 2009 at 12:49 Quote
whenever i put my fork on its used to jiggle around and than i lifted up the frame and pushed the fork in and that help because when i had it standing it wasnt going straight in the headtube so it was wiggling because ther was still extra space.

Posted: Mar 20, 2009 at 12:53 Quote
wienis wrote:
whenever i put my fork on its used to jiggle around and than i lifted up the frame and pushed the fork in and that help because when i had it standing it wasnt going straight in the headtube so it was wiggling because ther was still extra space.

tighten the top bolt first then tighten the bolts in the stem.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.044925
Mobile Version of Website