How to paint parts on bike.

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
How to paint parts on bike.
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 23, 2009 at 11:30 Quote
i was looking to paint the fork, handle bars and stem of my bike, but im wondering if i should sand all the parts down, prime them, paint them and clear coat them or if i could just paint rite over the original paint job and then clear coat them. Let me know what you think.

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2009 at 11:47 Quote
Depends if they are annodized or not.

But essentially, Yes.
Chem Strip, sand with a scrub pad
Prime with a self etch primer (On Aluminum)
Paint, Clearcoat.

Most parts people have are either anodized ot powdercoated...
Painting requires more steps.

Posted: Mar 23, 2009 at 11:51 Quote
self etch primer? what is that? and how many coats of clear should i use... i was thinking probably 2 or 3... and to strip it just any paint thinner should do???

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2009 at 7:34 Quote
Spitz wrote:
self etch primer? what is that? and how many coats of clear should i use... i was thinking probably 2 or 3... and to strip it just any paint thinner should do???

Self Etch Primer - http://carpaint.blogspot.com/2006/07/self-etching-primer.html
Duplicolour does one for about $15

2 x Coats of clear should be fine, but it depends on the brand. I use Dupont @ $15 a can. But it is real Automotive stuff and can be polished.

Your top coat (colour) brand should match your clearcoat brand, as differences may make your top coat bubble and go all orange peel like.

Just use Lepage poly-strip from Home Depot of Canadian tire @ $11 a ltr, thinner will not work. http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=973133&Ntt=973133&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=112756&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber (This is the 4L Cost)

Use thinner to clean your surfaces before you apply your primer and top coat.

Make sure you dont paint when it is too cold either. 18-22 deg is optimal.

Enjoy.

KF

Posted: Mar 24, 2009 at 7:42 Quote
thanks dude, appreciate it!

FL
Posted: Mar 24, 2009 at 7:45 Quote
I stripped paint off mine using a solvent, sand paper and lots of elbow grease, although I heard you don't really need to do that. I then gave it several (7-Cool light coats of duplicolor self etching primer. Gave 800 grit sand, wiped dust off with rubbing alchol, painted 10-12 thin coats with duplicolor engine enamel. Clear coated it with about 8 coats of duplicolor engine enamel clearcoat. Let it cure for a week, and its prime.

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2009 at 7:53 Quote
That is pretty heavy stuff....
For sure it would be super durable too.
I am guessing its a street bike???? Am I right?

Ironchefjon wrote:
I stripped paint off mine using a solvent, sand paper and lots of elbow grease, although I heard you don't really need to do that. I then gave it several (7-Cool light coats of duplicolor self etching primer. Gave 800 grit sand, wiped dust off with rubbing alchol, painted 10-12 thin coats with duplicolor engine enamel. Clear coated it with about 8 coats of duplicolor engine enamel clearcoat. Let it cure for a week, and its prime.

FL
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 10:35 Quote
it's a transition dirtbag. It sees a lot of reckless and sloppy riding Smile

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010316
Mobile Version of Website