Whats this 24' all about?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Whats this 24' all about?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 23, 2009 at 13:50 Quote
i ride 26" wheels at the moment but i find them quite big and bulky,

i got a bmx and the wheels are slightly to small for me

so i thought 24" look about right but i have no idea about them....

can you put them on a normal dirt jump frame and forks?

do they work with discs?

advantages and disadvantages?

cost to do this as well?

cheers

Posted: Mar 23, 2009 at 13:52 Quote
my 2 cents is that you can put them on a larger frame, yes disks will work, and they will make you bike lighter, and i find them to look weird on 26" bikes. but thats just my opinion.
please, correct me if im wrong.

Posted: Mar 23, 2009 at 13:54 Quote
Yes they work in pretty much any dj forks and frame. They will change the geometry of any bike that isn't designed for them though.

If they have disc hubs, they'll work fine with disc brakes.

Advantages: lighter, faster accelerating, usually a bit stronger relatively.

Disadvantages: Less able to roll over objects, may alter geometry of bikes. Less options for wheel/tire selections since they are so much less popular.

cheers indeed.

Posted: Mar 23, 2009 at 13:55 Quote
There aint much a difference in size but yea they are smaller which means. lighter. stronger.smaller.

they will fit on your 26 inch frame but its best on a frame made for 24s or frame made for both. on some frames puttin 24 on it it could crash the geo. it depends but it should work out.

other than that yes they are the same as big wheels they hold discs etc..

Posted: Mar 23, 2009 at 14:02 Quote
cheers guys that was helpful

the problem is i like to do a bit of dirt jumping, 4x and park/street

and i think the bmx is much better for park/street part but im not that good on the 4x track on the bmx or dirt jumping

id like to think i can just use one bike but i cant make my mind up at all!

Posted: Mar 23, 2009 at 14:06 Quote
well if that's pretty much all you do, I think you should try out a 24" bike. Seems fitting for your style.

Posted: Mar 23, 2009 at 14:07 Quote
some one today told me what they thought of 24" cus i was thinking about getting them. he said they are for inbreeds who cant decide if they want to ride a proper mountian bike or a bmx.

Posted: Mar 23, 2009 at 14:08 Quote
This is what im stuck with at the minute. Ive got a medium kona shred and was going to get 24 inch's on it. Will it change the geo on this bike?

Posted: Mar 23, 2009 at 14:11 Quote
I run 24's on everything and love then (except my bmx...)

Even on this guys mom:

highley wrote:
some one today told me what they thought of 24" cus i was thinking about getting them. he said they are for inbreeds who cant decide if they want to ride a proper mountian bike or a bmx.

Posted: Mar 23, 2009 at 14:14 Quote
every one always argues about pro's and cons of 26 and 24 ,i ride 24" just cause i like the feeling better

Posted: Mar 23, 2009 at 14:17 Quote
atomik777 wrote:
I run 24's on everything and love then (except my bmx...)

Even on this guys mom:

highley wrote:

hahaha

hmmm thing is getting a 24" is the most expensive option cause i got both bmx and mtb!

i think im probably just gonna have to choose the bike for what im riding that day

Posted: Mar 23, 2009 at 14:20 Quote
24" are only bad for xc and dh... everything else is personal preference.

Posted: Mar 23, 2009 at 14:22 Quote
monkey20 wrote:
This is what im stuck with at the minute. Ive got a medium kona shred and was going to get 24 inch's on it. Will it change the geo on this bike?
24's only change the geo if you put only 1 on one end. Changing both will only lower ure bb.. by approximatly 1 inch

Posted: Mar 23, 2009 at 14:31 Quote
24's are much easier for learning tricks but 26's are good for the huge jump and if u like slopestyle

Posted: Mar 23, 2009 at 14:39 Quote
the1nonlyj wrote:
monkey20 wrote:
24's only change the geo if you put only 1 on one end. Changing both will only lower ure bb.. by approximatly 1 inch

dont put 24's on a kona ,trust me doesnt work out good ,2 of my friends done it its bad feels uber uber gash

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010229
Mobile Version of Website