Bike Painting Guides and Pictures of Your Work

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Bike Painting Guides and Pictures of Your Work
| Next Page
Posted: Apr 4, 2019 at 12:11 Quote
before and after trek project bike

2014 Trek X-Caliber 6 Gary Fisher edition Custom Large aluminum frame custom painted with custom decals Suspension fork with lockout Shimano sram drivetrain 3 x 8 Bontrager Bars stem seatpost wheels 29 Shimano Hydraulic brakes Specialized handgrips and tires great bike just serviced ready to ride

Posted: Apr 5, 2019 at 7:45 Quote
trozei wrote:
dagzin wrote:
dedmann wrote:
what was your process for creating the splatter?
Flicking paint at it
Sounds complicated.

There are various methods. Yes, you can "Flick" paint but with What tool? Using a toothbrush dipped into a paint can and us a hard implement, (Like a screwdriver), to rub across the bristles, gives small dots. Whereas a proper brush, flipped at the "canvas" (bike frame in this case) will give you larger splashes. You can load the paint into small plastic bottles with h proper pouring type caps, and squeeze the paint on the surface, creating dribbling effect, A spar bottle with the nozzle set to "Stream" works similarly.

You can dab paint with a porous sponge. You can put a very "Wet" layer of paint down and use "cling wrap" to press against the surface, to create a varied effect.

This frame uses splatter and sponge techniques, I used a sponge with silver and then sponged black over the sliver. Then splattered the teal over all of the other colors.

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/12665884/

Posted: Jun 21, 2019 at 6:54 Quote
Hi all,

I'm looking into having an old (2005) somewhat recently powder coated aluminium fs frame stripped of powder coat and re-done in its original black colour.
The bike is a prized possession rather than a beater, therefore I don't want to damage the frame having the wrong procedures done.
What is the least damaging material to blast powder coat off?
Any other heat treatments I should worry about?
Finally as the frame has been coated twice now the serial number is looking a little faded/hard to see. How do I go about sharpening the markings up?

Cheers

Posted: Jun 21, 2019 at 10:34 Quote
I’d use a chemical strip if possible and a soda blast if not.

Posted: Jun 21, 2019 at 11:50 Quote
pimpin-gimp wrote:
I’d use a chemical strip if possible and a soda blast if not.
Wasn't aware of chemical stripper for powder coat, Thanks

Posted: Jun 21, 2019 at 14:25 Quote
It’s not the sort of thing you’d get at a diy store, I.e nitromors wont touch it, but there are certainly products out there that will do the trick.

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 10:19 Quote
eplanajr wrote:
Love that.

Nice job, well done

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 21:57 Quote
diogocamacho wrote:
Transition Sentinel Raw

Transition Sentinel Raw

Transition Sentinel Raw

Transition Sentinel Raw

Transition Sentinel RAW

Did you polish the raw aluminum first?

Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 13:50 Quote
Here are a couple of my paintjobs! All done in my parent's garage on a student budget. I'm sure alot of tips and tricks have been covered already but if anyone wants to know my own process let me know.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018141
Mobile Version of Website