Bike Painting Guides and Pictures of Your Work

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Bike Painting Guides and Pictures of Your Work
Posted: Jun 22, 2017 at 7:16 Quote
pimpin-gimp wrote:
Anyone any good at identifying text fonts? I'm about to paint my 2015 Enduro and I'd like to get some vinyl decals made up to use as masks, anyone know what the font is for the top tube "Enduro" text?

Cheers.
I used to have it saved and my mom deleted it. I can try and find it again.what format do you need the image in?

Posted: Oct 12, 2017 at 9:57 Quote
Hi there just recently picked up some forks for my DJ but they are white and I would like to paint them black. Should I try doing it my self or take it to a auto shop and if I do it myself is here any recommended paint or products to help the paint last and not chip. Thanks.

Posted: Oct 12, 2017 at 12:33 Quote
dhmonster17 wrote:
Hi there just recently picked up some forks for my DJ but they are white and I would like to paint them black. Should I try doing it my self or take it to a auto shop and if I do it myself is here any recommended paint or products to help the paint last and not chip. Thanks.

All paints will chip at some point.. what you can do is when your finished put some clear protective film over the forks to save them

Posted: Oct 12, 2017 at 13:06 Quote
Ok thank you would an automotive clear coat be better or thicker

Posted: Oct 12, 2017 at 16:25 Quote
dhmonster17 wrote:
Ok thank you would an automotive clear coat be better or thicker

Yes there is some nice automotive clear coats, a buddy of mine uses what he calls 2k clear it is super durable.

The mastic tape is thicker and more durable but it's kind of a pain to wrap nicely.

I say get them powdercoated but some guys on here worry about the heat warping the fork or something. Mine never warp, but there's your warning if they do

Posted: Oct 12, 2017 at 16:26 Quote
Yeah.. always put on a clear coat over your base coat. Bit still gona chip.
You can pick up frame or fork protectors off eBay

Posted: Oct 14, 2017 at 3:03 Quote
Paints are more susceptible to chips from thick film build so technically speaking a clearcoat adding thickness wouldn't help.

That being said a good 2K clear will not only be very hard but it will add permanent gloss to the colour. An autobody supply shop should be able to mix you some clearcoat into an aerosol with an activatable hardener.

What will guarantee you chipping is poor prep work. You'll need to sand your forks down with 500 grit, and make sure to spend the extra time around the edges. That's where the paint will fail. Just as important is making sure the substrate is clean before sanding, before masking, and before painting.

Posted: Oct 25, 2017 at 11:35 Quote
Picked up a new frame a few months back and I'm lucky enough to have a brother who paints cars for a living so we had a little session prepping and respraying it one weekend. Did away with the Matt black for a Rootbeer found on the odd Porsche. Forgive my explanation as I'm no car sprayer but first up we acid etched the frame followed by a coat of straight black across the top tube so that we could lay on a set of spare decals I had as I'm not a big fan of stickers so wanted the NICOLAI badge incorporated into the paint. Next we laid down the metallic base coat, baked it then removed the stickers so we could add a couple coats of lacquer to finish her up. Couldn't be more pleased with it, the colour changes quite dramatically when in the sunlight, going from a dark brown to a sparkly DrPepper red.

Respray ready to go

Primer

More base coat

Base coat applied ready for Lacquer

Mojo Geometron G16 Long Custom Painted

Race Face SixC Crank

Nicolai Mojo G16

Nicolai Mojo G16

Nicolai Mojo G16

Flat and Polishing NICOLAI logo

Posted: Oct 25, 2017 at 13:21 Quote
I like... good work fella

Posted: Oct 25, 2017 at 14:40 Quote
That is one sick paint job. Well done....Eek Eek

Posted: Oct 25, 2017 at 14:41 Quote
dagzin wrote:
I like... good work fella

Thank you sir

Posted: Oct 25, 2017 at 17:55 Quote
Damn, that is very nice. Salute

Posted: Oct 26, 2017 at 9:16 Quote
Thanks guys, would be even better if my fork was delivered so I could finish it. Been almost 2 months now!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021257
Mobile Version of Website