Bearing removal and installation on sx trail

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Bearing removal and installation on sx trail
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 23, 2009 at 20:26 Quote
Hey guys,
I have a new bearing kit for my ride and I am mechanically inclined and do all my own work. I have removed and installed bearings on other things, just not a frame and horst link for that matter. Anybody have any tips/suggestions on how to go about this without jacking up my frame? Also, having my LBS do it is not an option, they don't know their arse from a hole in the ground. In fact, they're not sure what store their FSR bearing tool is at!

Posted: Mar 24, 2009 at 19:17 Quote
bearings are fun to take out. challenging to put back in, remeber the order they came out in

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2009 at 19:22 Quote
Just use sockets and press them like how you press u-joints or anything else like this. Be careful with the bearing interface surfaces, and make sure you seat them straight.

Posted: Mar 24, 2009 at 19:24 Quote
Thanks, come to think of it I know that I can get them back in there and I know where all the bearings go, but how the hell do I remove them?

Posted: Mar 24, 2009 at 19:27 Quote
befor you but the new ones in put them in a frezzer for an hour they will shrink and slid in way smoother and it dosent damage the bearing or anything

Posted: Mar 24, 2009 at 19:35 Quote
Thanks guys, anyone wanna tell me how to remove these buggers?

Posted: Mar 24, 2009 at 19:44 Quote
still a 8 mm allen key in one side, and just adjustables on the other twist untill the nut falls of the bolt, i used a 10mm allen key and a hammer to knock the bolt out ( this is at mount which is connected to the rear triangle

Posted: Mar 24, 2009 at 19:46 Quote
rockafella wrote:
still a 8 mm allen key in one side, and just adjustables on the other twist untill the nut falls of the bolt, i used a 10mm allen key and a hammer to knock the bolt out ( this is at mount which is connected to the rear triangle

I'm just talking about the actual bearings themselves.

Posted: Mar 24, 2009 at 19:49 Quote
take a look at transitions bearing removal tool....easily made with a few sockets, washers, screw, and nuts....it iwll be self explanatory on how to remove them by their pics

http://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/Components_BearingTool.cfm

Posted: Mar 24, 2009 at 19:52 Quote
I can take apart the frame/rear triangle and shock mounts blindfolded, but I don't know what to use to remove the bearings. I've even had the bearings apart in the frame and rebuilt them.

Posted: Mar 24, 2009 at 19:52 Quote
dualsuspensiondave wrote:
rockafella wrote:

I'm just talking about the actual bearings themselves.

oh, i popped the bearing out by accident, managed to press it back in. try a peice of cloth , then a socket of approiate size and a soft headed hammer. my bolt got stuck some how.. stuck very tight to the bearing. stuck so much to the point i couldnt pull it out or in with all the force i could apply

Posted: Mar 24, 2009 at 19:53 Quote
pipes10 wrote:
take a look at transitions bearing removal tool....easily made with a few sockets, washers, screw, and nuts....it iwll be self explanatory on how to remove them by their pics

http://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/Components_BearingTool.cfm

Yeah, I think I can make myself something to do that. Good shot!

Posted: Mar 24, 2009 at 19:54 Quote
read my post above with regards as to how to make the tool and check out the pics....the smaller socket will push the bearing into the larger socket

edit - i see u saw it now

Posted: Mar 24, 2009 at 20:06 Quote
hey, I have done alot of bearing installs on Specialized bikes, and other full suspetion frames, and i must say sx trals and demo's are the worst. I work full time in a shop and have access to bearing presses and bearing pullers and its still no walk in the park. Personally unless you can get a set of these tools I would much rather pay a shop todo it, because if they f*ck it up you don't have to pay for it.

Specialized actually sells a bearing press that specifically works with there frames, but its not cheap, I believe it cost over a $1000. I'm not saying you can't do it, I'm just saying it would be worth the money to have a shop do it for you.

Got any questions feel free to pm me.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010223
Mobile Version of Website