What do your parents/friends not understand about bikes?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What do your parents/friends not understand about bikes?
Posted: Jan 10, 2015 at 3:07 Quote
no1000 wrote:
Why ride a bike when there are motorcycles?

to love the look on peoples face when they say "what the hell is mountain biking?"

O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2015 at 8:47 Quote
For over 2 decades my mom still thinks she's supportive with comments like, " you spend too much money on your bikes", and " that's dumb, why would you buy that?"

Posted: Jan 10, 2015 at 9:22 Quote
mountain biking's a hobby and not a sport.......

Posted: Jan 14, 2015 at 19:02 Quote
goldhecklerswag wrote:
I'm getting real tired of everyone saying "dude your going to kill yourself" or even by doctors "time to find a new hobby" "you should stop downhill" this is after I broke my thumb and collar tho, I just say at least I'm getting high on mountains and not drugs! Lol
my friend was in a bad car crash his car ended up like a pop can. some idiot falling asleep hit him or something like that. After a day of a street session i told him my knee was soar hurt to bent too far i showed him my scar from knee surgery and he laughed and said thats farther than i can bend mine. Hes like robo cop or terminator has so much metal in his body its crazy and he rides damn fast dh and crazy trials he is one of the best trials guys i have road with and he has been sponsored. The doctors said he wouldnt be riding any more he laughed and now kills it on bikes.

Posted: Jan 16, 2015 at 14:28 Quote
I havent really had any issues with my parents, luckily I am now moved out and across the country ahah! Usually they're like "I hope you're wearing your armour!". Usually if I get injured I send them pics, they love that shit. Generally my dads first response... "Is the bike ok?!"

Although I have noticed, that whenever biking comes up in a conversation with someone who doesn't ride...I ALWAYS get the inquiry "Why do you ride? Its so dangerous" Or "Why would you ride, cant you die from it".

My usual response is "I can f*cking die getting out of bed in the morning, why should I be scared of some dirt, rocks and trees?". Or "I could get crushed by a semi driving my car to work"....or "I could get hit crossing the street". Usually it ends in people being a little too stunned to respond. I find it amazing that people aren't willing to do things because they are "Too dangerous" yet daily life activities could at any time end in tragedy.

f*ck it! Get out there and enjoy it before it ends!

The majority of people have an aversion to action, adrenaline and danger. I love it and enjoy it up to a certain point. The way I look at it, I take steps to mitigate it while still enjoying myself but understand that I will never ever be able to completely eliminate danger in any part of my life.

Posted: Jan 16, 2015 at 14:46 Quote
My mom used to keep buying me womens roadie jerseys and lycra short... It's the thought that counts

Posted: Jan 22, 2015 at 12:59 Quote
When I first got a helmet mum thought it was for skiing ! Madder

Posted: Jan 23, 2015 at 0:32 Quote
Here in Indonesia, you can get Kawasaki Ninja Z250 for US$4500 (more or less)

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.cbt.com.my/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Kawasaki-Z250-Multi.jpg
And you know what would they say about my craziness for MTB.

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2015 at 7:56 Quote
NotDannyHart wrote:
Wrong thread?

Nope, I think he's saying that people don't understand why he mountain bikes, if he can get a motorcycle for the same money

Posted: Jan 23, 2015 at 8:06 Quote
trailblitz wrote:
NotDannyHart wrote:
Wrong thread?

Nope, I think he's saying that people don't understand why he mountain bikes, if he can get a motorcycle for the same money

Thank you @trailblitz.

Posted: Jan 23, 2015 at 8:26 Quote
TroubleZone13 wrote:
trailblitz wrote:
NotDannyHart wrote:
Wrong thread?

Thank you @trailblitz.
My badRedface

Posted: Jan 23, 2015 at 8:32 Quote
NotDannyHart wrote:
TroubleZone13 wrote:
trailblitz wrote:

Thank you @trailblitz.
My badRedface

And for additional, when i bought a pair of Straitline DeFacto pedals (i got it for US$150).
My friends, and mom said this "What are you thinking!!!!"
It's simply because, the costs of living in Indonesia can be said to be still low.
For example, you just need US$2-5 for 3 full meals a day.
That's why, MTB sport still considered as (super duper) expensive sport in my country.
But, I.D.G.A.F.O.S (lol). Cool

PS : meal = 1 (big) portion of rice w/ traditional fried chicken and scrambled egg.

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2015 at 10:21 Quote
TroubleZone13 wrote:
NotDannyHart wrote:
TroubleZone13 wrote:

Thank you @trailblitz.
My badRedface

And for additional, when i bought a pair of Straitline DeFacto pedals (i got it for US$150).
My friends, and mom said this "What are you thinking!!!!"
It's simply because, the costs of living in Indonesia can be said to be still low.
For example, you just need US$2-5 for 3 full meals a day.
That's why, MTB sport still considered as (super duper) expensive sport in my country.
But, I.D.G.A.F.O.S (lol). Cool

PS : meal = 1 (big) portion of rice w/ traditional fried chicken and scrambled egg.
lol that food sounds yood

Posted: Jan 23, 2015 at 13:44 Quote
People dont seem to understand that a mountain bike has the same technologies as a top of the line motocrosser minus the engine. The forks , shock, wheels etc take less material but the same work to creatw. I one sees this calculation , one will have a similar outcome!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010679
Mobile Version of Website