thoughts on nissan skyline

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
thoughts on nissan skyline
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 18:56 Quote
hey all, i am looking into buying myself a nissan skyline.
i am not looking into getting a gtr, because those are a little more expensive and break a little bit easier, but i am just curious, i have heard good and bad stories of them, i was thinking of getting a gts-t or a gts-4 both are turbo charged one is just 4 wheel drive. anyways, i'm looking to spend between 8 thousand and 10,000 at the most on the car, and next summer i would probably put 1000 dollars into it or possibly more like 2k or maybe more.

Anyways, just curious, i live in winnipeg mb, and i wouldn't drive it hard that much. Do you think the car would be atleast reasonably reliable, and what about parts i mean i have done a ton of research and parts seem to be getting more and more reasonably priced and readily available because there are so many skylines around and more and more are coming into canada and parts becoming universal to other cars etc. I am mostly talking about mechanical not so much body so what do you think of the idea the car would be a everyday driver, including in the winter, i would drive about 11 km's a day on average, and no i would no be driving hard until the engine is warmed

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 21:10 Quote
Their amazing cars yes. But do you honestly wanna speed $10000 on a 1990? They are really nice cars but god damn there so expensive.

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 21:15 Quote
import a jdm if your gonna drop 10thou

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 21:21 Quote
Winnipeg has terrible roads. The corrosiveness of the salt may be outweighed by the snow filling the holes. Big Grin

I have looked into it alot, I'm still doing my research. They're great cars thats for sure. I don't think I would be looking for answers about that on pinkbike though.

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 21:25 Quote
I've had a ride in a Gts-T and they are quick cars for what they are, not to mention cool. The steel block is strong but there are issues when something happens. Watch the turbo carefully and take care of it, it's 18 years old afterall. Taking a turbo apart to change seals can be an expensive procedure. Although parts are somewhat available they aren't numerous. I have a friend with a 300ZX 2+2 who bent one of his suspension arms. He had to import the bits from Japan, which was both expensive and time consuming. Moral of the story for that was that even though the car was sold here it was hard enough to get parts. Do all the smart used car things, look for condensation in the headlamps, matching sin numbers in the front window and driver's door, etc, and make sure that if the car was modified that it was done properly. The engine is strong but if it's over boosted it can blow leaving you with a right hand drive paperweight. I'm assuming you've considered driving on the right as well, mainly left hand turns at major streets, you won't be able to see around the cars on the opposite side. If you want the car go for it, being in Winnipeg you may want the 4 wheel drive. My opion though is to get a 300zx. More parts available, you can get 2seater hard top, t-top, turbo, or a 2+2, left hand drive, the VG30 engine is strong, and just as fast. Good luck regarless almost bought a 300 TT this summer, would have if blue smoke didn't pour out the exhaust when accelerating (sign the turbo seals are going).

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 21:35 Quote
Yo Dan, there's a guy on here who's got a gts t

http://skylinegtst.pinkbike.com/

there's the vehicle thread he posted in

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=2223&pagenum=6

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 21:52 Quote
i would buy a bike instead of a car

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 21:53 Quote
Ok here's the low down.
don't waste your money on a gst-t or directly to a gtr period. I've driven many gst-t and yeah the two wheel drive is fun but the gt-r is the way to go. way too much fun and it can get you into a whole lot of trouble fast.
Best to have two vehicles as you live in winterpeg. Been there before..wayy too cold for me.

Have the car only as a summer driver. So save you money you should have pay more than $15K for one and do your research. Living in MB you can get away with some of the modification that BC residents now have to do with the vehicle but do contact your motor vehicle branch to see what needs to be done to pass you province vehicle inspection. BC we have to modify the head lights...that is costly.

as for parts yes there are lots of places to get used parts but check around. I know there is a canadian skyline website and http://www.rockymountainimports.net/
can get new and used parts from JP. Plus he knows JDM vehicles.

That's my two cents. Personally your better off with a silvia than a gts-t. its about the same be the silvia is lighter and cheaper. I brought a silvia in for a guy two years a go and it ripped.

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 22:06 Quote
scoobydoo wrote:
Ok here's the low down.
don't waste your money on a gst-t or directly to a gtr period. I've driven many gst-t and yeah the two wheel drive is fun but the gt-r is the way to go. way too much fun and it can get you into a whole lot of trouble fast.
Best to have two vehicles as you live in winterpeg. Been there before..wayy too cold for me.

Have the car only as a summer driver. So save you money you should have pay more than $15K for one and do your research. Living in MB you can get away with some of the modification that BC residents now have to do with the vehicle but do contact your motor vehicle branch to see what needs to be done to pass you province vehicle inspection. BC we have to modify the head lights...that is costly.

as for parts yes there are lots of places to get used parts but check around. I know there is a canadian skyline website and http://www.rockymountainimports.net/
can get new and used parts from JP. Plus he knows JDM vehicles.

That's my two cents. Personally your better off with a silvia than a gts-t. its about the same be the silvia is lighter and cheaper. I brought a silvia in for a guy two years a go and it ripped.
silvia with a 13 in it

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 22:17 Quote
hey bud, if your curious about skylines around the city too and want to talk to some local owners check out www.winnipegheights.com. great info on anything about any car in the same forum format

Posted: Nov 10, 2007 at 13:52 Quote
thanks a lot guys, and yes i gtr would be nice but that is just putting out to much money for me.

Posted: Nov 10, 2007 at 14:38 Quote
I live in Winnipeg, there's a guy on my street that has three or four right-drive cars, one being a Skyline. Don't know much about it though, considering I haven't seen it in a week or two. All of his cars are for sale too.

I would never drive something like a Skyline in the winter here. That's like vehicle suicide.

-JayC.

Posted: Nov 10, 2007 at 20:03 Quote
If you're gonna do it, take the time to find one that hasn't been ragged on (if there is one out there).

Posted: Nov 11, 2007 at 11:57 Quote
Wilson4 wrote:
My opion though is to get a 300zx. More parts available, you can get 2seater hard top, t-top, turbo, or a 2+2, left hand drive, the VG30 engine is strong, and just as fast. Good luck regarless almost bought a 300 TT this summer, would have if blue smoke didn't pour out the exhaust when accelerating (sign the turbo seals are going).

A man after my own heart...

If I were I you thats what I would get... There much cheaper and can be even faster for the same price... or get a VW Cabrio and throw a turbo on it Razz . Really if your gonna get a fast car you'll need somewhere to drive it... You could do auto X at the assinaboine (cant spell that for shit) downs but thats like once a month or something... Save you money buy a shitmobile then when you can afford a $1000 license and several tickets buy your skyline...

I can almost guarantee every skyline you will find has been driven by some fast and the furious wannabe so you'll be paying for repairs constantly...

Posted: Nov 11, 2007 at 13:20 Quote
I would actually suggest getting a Celica All-Trac Turbo ('90 - '93).

Rare, sexy cars - 235 HP stock. Way more reliable than a 300ZX or Skyline I'd say.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011228
Mobile Version of Website