thoughts on nissan skyline

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
thoughts on nissan skyline
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 3, 2007 at 13:09 Quote
even though your true it does have a small amount of truth, a civic with 22s on it will not be nearly as fast as a civic with 16s
rotational mass guys

Posted: Dec 3, 2007 at 13:52 Quote
F1 cars use 13 inch wheels.

Posted: Dec 3, 2007 at 16:19 Quote
13's are great, if your car doesn't need more than 9" brake rotors and you don't need more than 205-60-series rubber. (IE. for that stock Celica Big Grin )

For cornering it's awfully nice to get into 50-series rubber. I agree that 18's on anything with four cylinders is ridiculous.

Posted: Dec 25, 2007 at 7:04 Quote
i worked at a shop when i was 12, skylines were rare, but i do know that the skyline was the fastest car on need for speed underground 1 so i wonder if that means anything tup Book lol

Posted: Dec 25, 2007 at 8:35 Quote
jumpstyle wrote:
i worked at a shop when i was 12, skylines were rare, but i do know that the skyline was the fastest car on need for speed underground 1 so i wonder if that means anything tup Book lol

Stock, its the fastest import in a straight line (drag race)

Posted: Dec 25, 2007 at 8:48 Quote
markewich wrote:
jumpstyle wrote:

Modded, but there's a dozen of faster stock import cars. Out of the box they only 276hp and are limited to 112 mph (and that's the GTR V-Spec, GTS had less power). I am aware that the horsepower was quoted from the company, and not done by a government sources so the R32's were around 300 horsepower. The only worthwhile Skyline was the Z-tune R34, which really weren't all that stock.

Posted: Dec 25, 2007 at 9:11 Quote
Wilson4 wrote:
markewich wrote:
jumpstyle wrote:

Modded, but there's a dozen of faster stock import cars. Out of the box they only 276hp and are limited to 112 mph (and that's the GTR V-Spec, GTS had less power). I am aware that the horsepower was quoted from the company, and not done by a government sources so the R32's were around 300 horsepower. The only worthwhile Skyline was the Z-tune R34, which really weren't all that stock.

A dozen faster imports you gotta be kidding me.

Posted: Dec 25, 2007 at 9:33 Quote
Clarify what an import is, are you meaning Japan only? And even if you are Skyline's have a certain legend about them, they are popular, they have a market here so they are imported. If people knew more about the Japanese auto industry they would have heard of companies like Vemac, Dome, Tommy Kaira, etc. The R34, the final incarnation of the RHD only cars still had the 276 hp limit, and a 0-60 time of 5.1 seconds (Car magazine). Its a quick car for sure, but its weight was a hinderance. Think of all the comperable cars that wer produced to 2003. Toyota Supra's were made until 2002, Nissan 300ZX TT until 1998, Mazda 3rd gen RX-7's until 2002, Subaru WRX 22B, STI, Mitsu Evo 1-9, 3000GT Vr-4, Honda NSX Type R to name a few. These cars all fell under Japanese legislation restricting hp totals, but many were lighter. Nissan built the Skyline restrictive, so that with simple changes, large horse power could be found. Easiest example of this is find a stock Skyline anywhere.

Posted: Dec 25, 2007 at 14:09 Quote
all i have to say is 93 toyota supra. that's all.

Posted: Dec 26, 2007 at 15:05 Quote
As far as weight goes, the 3000GT/GTO was heavier, and the 3000ZX Twin Turbo and Supra were only ~200 lbs. lighter. The big-gun version of the Supra in Japan, the RZ, was actually a bit slower because it had a quicker-spooling but smaller turbo setup than the North American car.

The Skyline is, at least in my opinion, worthwhile because it had one of the best, if not the best, chassis of the Japanese sportscars. It was a successful car for a very long time in Australian racing and JGTC, and you have to love the lightly-tuned R33's Nurburgring record at 7:56.

Looking at the competition:

-Nissan 300ZX's have a heck of a hard time putting down higher-than-stock HP - didn't Sport Compact Car make one that had 549 RWHP, but ran high-12s at the strip?

-There aren't many successful Supras in the SCCA or in other series in this side of the Atlantic. There was one that raced in Car and Driver's One Lap of America, but it got beat by a not-that-modified Viper and a not-that-modified Firebird wasn't far behind. Not many in high-level autocrossing, Solo I/ProSolo... Supra owners are at the strip, where they're getting beat by lesser-built Mustangs :p

-Mitsu 3000GT... what does this car have on a Skyline? Very few have been built to do high-horsepower, they have design flaws (poor transmission anyone?), and they're heavy as hell. Cool car for $15,000, not my idea of a supercar.

-NSX - got $100,000 you don't need? How about $10,000 for a Comptech supercharger to get past 300hp?

-I do love last-generation RX-7's, but talk to someone who owns one.

The R34 Skyline was a more complete and 'better' car than all of these cars.

Posted: Dec 27, 2007 at 11:45 Quote
hondamatic wrote:
As far as weight goes, the 3000GT/GTO was heavier, and the 3000ZX Twin Turbo and Supra were only ~200 lbs. lighter. The big-gun version of the Supra in Japan, the RZ, was actually a bit slower because it had a quicker-spooling but smaller turbo setup than the North American car.

The Skyline is, at least in my opinion, worthwhile because it had one of the best, if not the best, chassis of the Japanese sportscars. It was a successful car for a very long time in Australian racing and JGTC, and you have to love the lightly-tuned R33's Nurburgring record at 7:56.

Looking at the competition:

-Nissan 300ZX's have a heck of a hard time putting down higher-than-stock HP - didn't Sport Compact Car make one that had 549 RWHP, but ran high-12s at the strip?

-There aren't many successful Supras in the SCCA or in other series in this side of the Atlantic. There was one that raced in Car and Driver's One Lap of America, but it got beat by a not-that-modified Viper and a not-that-modified Firebird wasn't far behind. Not many in high-level autocrossing, Solo I/ProSolo... Supra owners are at the strip, where they're getting beat by lesser-built Mustangs :p

-Mitsu 3000GT... what does this car have on a Skyline? Very few have been built to do high-horsepower, they have design flaws (poor transmission anyone?), and they're heavy as hell. Cool car for $15,000, not my idea of a supercar.

-NSX - got $100,000 you don't need? How about $10,000 for a Comptech supercharger to get past 300hp?

-I do love last-generation RX-7's, but talk to someone who owns one.

The R34 Skyline was a more complete and 'better' car than all of these cars.

My comments were made for stock vehicles and not modified, the R34 has been my dream car with the new GTR very close behind. Your completely right for the ease of getting high horsepower out of the RB26 motor. Countless cars from Junn, Top Secret, Mines, Tommy Kaira, Veilside (1300 horsepower for the NZ top speed run. Go to youtube thing sounds like a banshee) to name a few all push 650 plus horsepower some with very few modifications. Those other cars have many problems. The 300ZX engine bay has zero room at stock, this cupled heat issues mean that high horsepower is difficult and unreliable. Speaking of reliability the Rx-7 is a hand grenade you can drive around. The 3000/Stealth have exactly what you said. The NSX was trying to be many things, although it was one of the first year round "supercars" (Ferrari 348 anyone). It was in production way past its expiration date, but a chassis tuned by Senna is something hard to argue against. As a an all round better car in stock trim I can't say I've never driven it.

Posted: Dec 27, 2007 at 14:05 Quote
I haven't tried one either Confused . I took my J-spec-car money and bought a 2001 Accord. If 35 mpg isn't hot...

It's just from what I've heard, read, etc., the Skyline is the 'real deal' and a lot of the other high-horsepower Japanese cars of its' day had quirks and issues. Truth is, I'd take any of them - hell, a Talon is cooler and more fun than my current car.

I also like the NSX and a '90-94 for the going rate of $20,000-30,000 is very appealing. It just has a different appeal - it's the car of that group you'd least want to touch, 'tho there's not a hell of a lot to do to it.

Posted: Jul 25, 2010 at 18:41 Quote
I know this thread has been dead for 2 Nd a half years but ive driven a few imports ie supras all marks, all trac celica 3000gt and so on and i have to say that the r33 skyline i drive now has to be with out a doubt the best car, it inspires comfidents and yiu feel at ease driving in the car is comfortable to drive and if you respect it it will show you all the hidden aspects of the car, in turns amazing has smooth acceleration and braking the brakes dont get tired are a track and theyre damn fast mine has many moddifications under the hood from big turbos to internals for high boost. All i can say is buy one and youll know what i mean

Posted: Jun 28, 2011 at 17:55 Quote
trunkmonkey12 wrote:
I know this thread has been dead for 2 Nd a half years but ive driven a few imports ie supras all marks, all trac celica 3000gt and so on and i have to say that the r33 skyline i drive now has to be with out a doubt the best car, it inspires comfidents and yiu feel at ease driving in the car is comfortable to drive and if you respect it it will show you all the hidden aspects of the car, in turns amazing has smooth acceleration and braking the brakes dont get tired are a track and theyre damn fast mine has many moddifications under the hood from big turbos to internals for high boost. All i can say is buy one and youll know what i mean
haha I have a r32 gtst, nice to have a fellow skyline owner on pinnkbike lol. none of those other cars compare to the skyline, although I wouldn't mind having a supra

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021991
Mobile Version of Website