2010 F1 season

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
2010 F1 season
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 at 16:27 Quote
Again, WTF Austrailia? Yet again, a major competitor droped the ball, (Cough Ferrari, and Merc cough cough!) someone made a stupid mistake and took someone out (Vettel cough cough) and basically shit's all FUBAR'ed again. Thoughts?

Posted: Mar 30, 2009 at 16:55 Quote
I challenge your Vettel, Kubica should have waited. His one major downfall is his inability to be patient. I can't believe Button won....

Posted: Mar 30, 2009 at 16:57 Quote
I'll give you that, Kubica should have waited. You'd think with what he's being paid, someone would have tought him patience at some point.

Posted: Mar 30, 2009 at 19:42 Quote
With all the rule changes, F1 is a joke.

Posted: Mar 30, 2009 at 19:43 Quote
But the changes worked, cars were passing one another. The only rule issue is the diffuser problem.

Posted: Mar 30, 2009 at 19:48 Quote
mr-wilson wrote:
But the changes worked, cars were passing one another. The only rule issue is the diffuser problem.

F1 used to be the top form of racing. Now they're trying to make it so anyone can compete. I don't like it. Cars are less stable, slower, and there isn't even testing! How can a driver possibly try to get used to a new vehicle if they're not allowed to test as much as they should?

Posted: Mar 30, 2009 at 19:58 Quote
Have to reduce costs to a certain extent. Top teams would run multiple tunnels 24/7 to gain even the slightest edge. Ferrari, McLaren, Toyota all had season budgets of $400,000,000 plus, while teams like Force India was $40,000,000.

They had to clean up the air behind the cars and they're somewhat limited to what they can do. The cars are the advertising tool and they aren't exactly as attractive as they used to be. Wished they still used the 3.0L V-10 that only had to last 300km.

That said the racing is improved. Once other teams either copy the diffuser or its ruled illegal on April 14 who knows who will win. When was last time you could say that (1999 maybe).

Posted: Mar 30, 2009 at 20:00 Quote
I'll give you that, there is better "competition". I just think that you're going to see a LOT more crashes early this year.

Posted: Mar 30, 2009 at 20:03 Quote
I'm amazed more front wings were't lost. Thought for sure half the field would be in after the first corner. Those new wings seem to stick out even beyond the wheels.

Posted: Mar 30, 2009 at 20:32 Quote
They're driver adjustable too! That's sooo cool.

Posted: Mar 31, 2009 at 14:08 Quote
I think the new changes definetly made some things worse, but overall they put things into the right general direction. Some uniformity is nice so you can actually get competition on the track and not in the wind tunnel, but I think they should make the uniformity less aero dependant. By that I mean that it'd be sick if they didn't regulate what exact spec the motor could be, but put a limit on things like power, torque, and minimum weight. I'd love to see modern races like the ones from back in the day where you can have three different motors in three different cars. I'm curious who would choose what. Say set a 800 HP limit, but let teams choose what size motor, how many cylinders, and weather to use a turbo or not. I think a 800 HP turbo 6 racing a 800 HP NA V-10 racing a supercharged 800 HP V-8 would be awsome. Hell, maybe even make a spec aero package and make it all suspension, motor, and driver.

Posted: Mar 31, 2009 at 14:12 Quote
Spec aero is so GP2. Its nice to see new ways of beating air.

The engine stuff would be neat. Very JGTC'esque. GT500 class is limited to 500 hp, but as long as the manufacturer makes the block any engine can go in their race car. Everything from I-4 to V-8, turbo to non-turbo are used, each engine with its own benefits.

Posted: Mar 31, 2009 at 14:13 Quote
That's exactly what I'm thinking. Make it so there's no real difference performance wise, but it would let the teams play more with things like the balance of the car. That and it would reduce the amount of similarity in the sound of every car. Bring it back to the days when you could hear the race and know what car was being shown off of the sound alone.

Posted: Mar 31, 2009 at 21:23 Quote
If you want uniformity, go watch IROC.

F1 is about being the fastest and best form of racing in the world. I still think these changes detract from that.

Posted: Apr 1, 2009 at 7:47 Quote
Aus wasnt too bad a start for us Brits Wink Should be a nice even season by the looks of it...

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012753
Mobile Version of Website