HELP !!!

• Previous Page
Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 21:09 Quote
I feel like a noob posting this , but i really need help !
i have a specailized p.1 and i have truvativ husselfelt cranks on it .
and i want to know if i can put bmx cranks on it ?
can i ?
well thanks !

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 21:18 Quote
That would be a no... The BB shell on a BMX frame is larger and has no threads, the bb cups just press in like a headset does. Soooo it wouldn't work.Confused

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 21:22 Quote
peach wrote:
That would be a no... The BB shell on a BMX frame is larger and has no threads, the bb cups just press in like a headset does. Soooo it wouldn't work.Confused

then why does everybody on pinkbike have 3pc. cranks ?
or for example the 08 specialized p.1 has the fuse bmx cranks .
but hey man thanks for the help .

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 21:26 Quote
kellogs wrote:
peach wrote:

what year is your frame? pics? well it depends on the frame you have... I know of some hardtails that have a larger BMX BB shell. But i know the older p.1's (01-06) didn't have them... im pretty sure of it.

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 21:29 Quote
peach wrote:
kellogs wrote:
peach wrote:

what year is your frame? pics?

its an 05 ... and no i dont have any pics right now ! sorry .
but yea ive done alot too and want to finish it off with bmx cranks .
but if it doesnt work thats fine !Big Grin

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 21:33 Quote
kellogs wrote:
peach wrote:
kellogs wrote:

well you can always look into a 3pc crank that has the same size bb as a mountain bike frame.... i've seen them out there. But a real bmx bb would never fit its to big. If you want a good set of solid cranks look into the new funn hooka Dh cranks, or saint's....

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 21:39 Quote
all of what you guys have said is right, but you also have to take into account the difference between a 2 piece and a 3 piece crankset. 2 piece cranks sets use a hollow spindle which is integrated with one of the arms and it completely separate from the bearings. where as a 3 piece crankset typically involves a sealed bearing cartridge and two detached crank arms that in effect clamp into the spindle separately. the latter is the case with the '08 P1. so you could theoretically if you found the right size sealed cartrigde you could convert to bmx cranks. again this all depends on the type/size of bottom brack in your frame. either way you would have to remove all the truvativ parts, including the bearings, and probably have to thread the inside of your frame...which i don't think you would want to do. hope this explains it clearly.

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 21:53 Quote
peach wrote:
kellogs wrote:
peach wrote:

well you can always look into a 3pc crank that has the same size bb as a mountain bike frame.... i've seen them out there. But a real bmx bb would never fit its to big. If you want a good set of solid cranks look into the new funn hooka Dh cranks, or saint's....

allright thanks man !
lots of help .Big Grin

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 21:54 Quote
skatefreak282 wrote:
all of what you guys have said is right, but you also have to take into account the difference between a 2 piece and a 3 piece crankset. 2 piece cranks sets use a hollow spindle which is integrated with one of the arms and it completely separate from the bearings. where as a 3 piece crankset typically involves a sealed bearing cartridge and two detached crank arms that in effect clamp into the spindle separately. the latter is the case with the '08 P1. so you could theoretically if you found the right size sealed cartrigde you could convert to bmx cranks. again this all depends on the type/size of bottom brack in your frame. either way you would have to remove all the truvativ parts, including the bearings, and probably have to thread the inside of your frame...which i don't think you would want to do. hope this explains it clearly.

yea it makes sense thanks !

but wait what kind of crank is on the 08 p.1 ?

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 22:01 Quote
kellogs wrote:
skatefreak282 wrote:

no problem. and the P1 has a 3 piece crankset. but with specialized you have to realize that just because they are "fuse" cranks doesn't mean they are the same as the ones on the actual Fuse BMX models. their BMX bikes either have mid or euro (basically sealed cartridge) BBs from what i know...which as someone said earlier is entirely too big to fit in a P. Bike. if you have anymore questions just lemme know.

Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 12:41 Quote
skatefreak282 wrote:
kellogs wrote:
skatefreak282 wrote:

no problem. and the P1 has a 3 piece crankset. but with specialized you have to realize that just because they are "fuse" cranks doesn't mean they are the same as the ones on the actual Fuse BMX models. their BMX bikes either have mid or euro (basically sealed cartridge) BBs from what i know...which as someone said earlier is entirely too big to fit in a P. Bike. if you have anymore questions just lemme know.

ok so what u are saying is there most likely just the style of crank ... not the same excact crank ?

Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 18:11 Quote
kellogs wrote:
skatefreak282 wrote:
kellogs wrote:

ok so what u are saying is there most likely just the style of crank ... not the same excact crank ?

the stock cranks on a P1 are 3 piece, euro BB with tubular crank arms. if you want bmx crank arms just make sure that they'll fit on the spindle. you shouldn't even have to remove the bottom bracket. i hope thats what you were asking.

Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 18:14 Quote
You guys completely lost me there.

You can run any bmx crank that comes with a euro bb. ex.

powerbites
hollowbites
profiles
demolitions
wombolts
ect.

Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 18:18 Quote
CoasterAddict wrote:
You guys completely lost me there.

You can run any bmx crank that comes with a euro bb. ex.

powerbites
hollowbites
profiles
demolitions
wombolts
ect.

yeah i know it got complicated. but yeah as i said just find cranks that fit on euro BB...i was under the assumption that he wanted to change out the entire thing to a 2 piece for a while there.

Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 18:50 Quote
Any crank will fit. I don't know why people are saying you'd have troubles. just walk into your bike shop and say I want this crank and a euro buttom bracket. They will say no prob take your money and it's done.

BMX Bb shells are no bigger or smaller than any other frame. AMERICAN Bb shells are large and generally they were the shell of choice for BMX bikes BUT, BMX manufacturers came up with the spanish and mid BB shells. Euro's are good but IMO and many other peoples opinions not the best for street and other abusive forms of riding (they are the best for racing purposes on any frame).

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012214
Mobile Version of Website