Hi rise VS Low Rise

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Hi rise VS Low Rise
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 at 11:19 Quote
i've done a forum search on the topic and cant find much. I've never tried hi-rise bars but recently ordered some. Which do you prefer, and why? I mainly do drops, so i'm not sure if hi-rise is what i need? Any feedback would be appreciated, cheers!.

Posted: Apr 2, 2009 at 11:30 Quote
My bars for DJ are about a half inch rise i think, I only use them because i got them cheap though, about 2 inches is normally the best.

Posted: Apr 2, 2009 at 11:30 Quote
RapidRob wrote:
i've done a forum search on the topic and cant find much. I've never tried hi-rise bars but recently ordered some. Which do you prefer, and why? I mainly do drops, so i'm not sure if hi-rise is what i need? Any feedback would be appreciated, cheers!.

The bars you run should be a product of where you feel comfortable based on fork length, headtube length, headset stack height, stem rise, etc. etc.

If you would feel more comfortable with your bars a little higher, then they are what you need. If not, you don't need them to do a certain type of riding.

Posted: Apr 2, 2009 at 11:32 Quote
Generally you will want slightly higher rise for drops and jumps, and lower rise for DH, although as mentioned this depends on the bike and personal preferance.

Posted: Apr 2, 2009 at 11:47 Quote
I would say the sweep and upward angle of the bars is something more important than the actual rise as far as the feel of the bar... simply changing stack height will change the height of your bars if you're not happy with the rise.

most bars seems to be a 9 degree upward angle and a 5 back sweep, but they do very a few degrees depending on the company and bar.

Posted: Apr 2, 2009 at 13:11 Quote
many guys here in England riding dirt jump bikes with 24" wheels and 80-100mm fork run high rise bars (some as much as 3")

for guys riding dirt jump bikes with 26" wheels and 80-100mm wheels the bar is usually mid rise to keep the bar height a little lower

guys riding mid travel freeride bikes with 130-160mm fork often run mid rise bars

guys riding long travel freeride and downhill bikes with 200mm forks run mid or low rise bars, to keep the bar height lower to get more traction on the front wheel when cornering

all depends on personal preference, but it makes a big difference to the way a bike rides

different brands offer different rises on their bars, so have a look around, some do zero rise or 1/2", many do 1", 1.5" and 2", and for DJ 2.5" and 3"

you may not have enough spare steerer tube on your bike setup to effectively increase handlebar height by adding spacers, so sometimes a new bar is the only option

Posted: Apr 2, 2009 at 13:27 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:
many guys here in England riding dirt jump bikes with 24" wheels and 80-100mm fork run high rise bars (some as much as 3")

for guys riding dirt jump bikes with 26" wheels and 80-100mm wheels the bar is usually mid rise to keep the bar height a little lower

guys riding mid travel freeride bikes with 130-160mm fork often run mid rise bars

guys riding long travel freeride and downhill bikes with 200mm forks run mid or low rise bars, to keep the bar height lower to get more traction on the front wheel when cornering

all depends on personal preference, but it makes a big difference to the way a bike rides

different brands offer different rises on their bars, so have a look around, some do zero rise or 1/2", many do 1", 1.5" and 2", and for DJ 2.5" and 3"

you may not have enough spare steerer tube on your bike setup to effectively increase handlebar height by adding spacers, so sometimes a new bar is the only option

Another reason they are run on dirt jump bikes is that its possible to do turndowns.

Posted: Apr 2, 2009 at 13:30 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:

good info, thanks for the insight

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009760
Mobile Version of Website