Commencal Meta 6...help

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Commencal Meta 6...help
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 at 8:48 Quote
Hey i am looking to get a new bike. I am thinking of getting the meta 6 because i want to be able to climb a little. I was just wondering how hard i could push it because i will be doing some DH/FR. THanks

Posted: Apr 6, 2009 at 9:36 Quote
i would not advise u to use a meta 6 for heavy downhill or FR use. i had a meta 5.5 which is virtually the same as the meta 6,and i cracked the top tube right next to the head tube and i was only using it for a bit of light downhill riding.i am only 12 stone and i did'nt use it for drops above 4 ft! if you have a look at the meta it does'nt have much reinforcing around that area compared to most bikes. the rear ends are'nt the stiffest either.i have an orange patriot now and i think its a lot better as an hardcore allrounder that can climb aswell and its pretty much bombproof!unfortuately they stopped making them this year but check out the orange alpine.

Posted: Apr 6, 2009 at 9:42 Quote
In a recent MBUK test the meta 6 was the worst at climbing because its fairly bulky. The guy above said he had ridden the 5.5 that is for XC/ light all mountain the meta 6 is for hardcore all mountain as the spec is much more heavy duty. You may want to give lapierre Spicy range a look as they are getting amazing reviews.

Posted: Apr 6, 2009 at 10:24 Quote
i actually bought the meta 5.5 vip frame only and built it up with simular spec to the meta 6,but as i was saying the frames a basically identical. u need to decide what is more important to u,if u want to ride hardcore cross country go for go for a lighter all mountain,but if u want something that can handle a full on downhill trail and large drops etc. ,but can still be able to climb (just not as fast) go for a freeride bike. i use my patriot for DH and to ride 20 mile mountain trails just by changing the tyres.

Posted: Apr 6, 2009 at 11:35 Quote
How is the trek session at climbing? There is one for sale local

Posted: Apr 6, 2009 at 11:50 Quote
You didnt say which one. But they are downhill bikes so i would guess awfuly.

Posted: Apr 6, 2009 at 11:51 Quote
jimap123 wrote:
You didnt say which one. But they are downhill bikes so i would guess awfuly.

Well so is the demo but iv heard it can climb

Posted: Apr 6, 2009 at 11:55 Quote
Session 7 by the way.

Posted: Apr 6, 2009 at 11:58 Quote
mtbrider71 is my riding buddy and we climb very little, as in biking. most of the time we have to hike a bike. i say go with whichever bike is more fun on the way down the hill cuz we always talk so much we dont realize our heavy bikes anyways on the way up. you want to also be able to enjoy yourself at the parks like diablo and highland. onemore thing. get the bike that will allow you to improve. thats why i had to switchfrom my cdale prophet to a vpfree.

Posted: Apr 6, 2009 at 11:59 Quote
CTfreerider6 wrote:
mtbrider71 is my riding buddy and we climb very little, as in biking. most of the time we have to hike a bike. i say go with whichever bike is more fun on the way down the hill cuz we always talk so much we dont realize our heavy bikes anyways on the way up. you want to also be able to enjoy yourself at the parks like diablo and highland. onemore thing. get the bike that will allow you to improve. thats why i had to switchfrom my cdale prophet to a vpfree.

You were the one that said i should get the meta 6. And if we do hit local trail we will have to pedal...

Posted: Apr 6, 2009 at 12:03 Quote
sleeping giant?????? we hike a bike there and i personally like it more than tylers mill. i personally wouldnt choose a bike meant for one aspect of mountain biking and use for another. for example- my cdale. maybe im wrong and the commencal is a great bike for fr. you gotta ride it.

Posted: Apr 6, 2009 at 12:06 Quote
I have a 2006 meta 4.0 VIP and its an amazing climber, it has the RP3 with pro pedal that you can tweak for climb or DH. Its an XC frame but its actually really fun on the downhill even though its only a 4" rear travel.

BTW, its for sale! ha ha!

Posted: Apr 6, 2009 at 12:27 Quote
the trek session 7 is the way to go if u're going to be doing some aggro riding,but u might not be the first to the top of the hill(but u are more likely to be first down the hillSmile )

Posted: Apr 6, 2009 at 14:08 Quote
first behind meSmile Smile sorry sam, i couldnt let this chance by.

Posted: Apr 6, 2009 at 15:27 Quote
yamyamste wrote:
the trek session 7 is the way to go if u're going to be doing some aggro riding,but u might not be the first to the top of the hill(but u are more likely to be first down the hillSmile )

I already am first down the hill Smile

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010666
Mobile Version of Website