snip

• Previous Page
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 at 17:49 Quote
gottagetanorco wrote:
I was at a friend's house the other day helping build a slalom course, and after testing out some rollers to feel how smooth they were I set my bike down next to his. Later on, he got in his tractor to get more dirt, and I went to move my bike- however, he didn't wait for me to move it.
Before I can say anything to him about stopping, I hear a sickening crunch and the sound of my tire popping. My rear triangle broke off, and the whole rear wheel is crushed.

When I talked to him about it later, he agreed (and wanted) to pay in full for what was broken- but later that night his dad called and said that he doesn't believe he's responsible, and at most will pay for half of it.

So my question is, does anyone know who really should be held responsible?
Thanks,
Zack

he should pay, if i ran someones bike over id expect to pay for it, especially a friends

Posted: Apr 6, 2009 at 17:50 Quote
your friend should is responsible.
he should be aware of his surroundings... just my opinion

Posted: Apr 6, 2009 at 17:50 Quote
He ran over your bike, you left it there. Both of you are responsible. His dad is an a*shole thats for sure. If you really wanted, you could sue him, but since he your friend that would be messed up and you probably wouldn't be friends anymore, and the cost of a lawyer would be more than half a mob frame.

So i would say take half for the frame and keep your friend...

Posted: Apr 6, 2009 at 17:51 Quote
In a way, you and him are responsable, you should have moved the bike before even taking out the tractor, but he should have been watching what he was doing before even backing up. If I were you, I would pay half-half, and then everyone will be happy.

Posted: Apr 6, 2009 at 17:56 Quote
Must not be all that great of friends if you even have to discuss the matter...

Obviously both of you screwed up, and both should pay for it.

Posted: Apr 6, 2009 at 17:57 Quote
post a pic man. Also think about the tractor as a vehicle. If you run over some ones property the driver has to pay, not the owner of the fence or mail box that got taken out due to not paying attention. just tell them that

Mod
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 at 18:01 Quote
The best thing to do is to see what the crash replacement/sympathy cost of a new Mob is and see if your friend will pay half and you pay the other half. This seems like the most logical thing to do. If your friend refuses to pay, take it as a lesson learned. This will probably put a strain on your friendship and you'll probably be somewhat bitter if you have to absorb the whole cost alone and he'll be bitter if you were to take them to court. it is just human nature. Either way, it is a lose lose unless a happy medium can be achieved. I'm sure if you showed what the MSRP of a Mob is and then the sympathy price, they will see that you are trying to lessen the cost for everyone involved and might do something.

Posted: Apr 6, 2009 at 18:02 Quote
gottagetanorco wrote:
I was at a friend's house the other day helping build a slalom course, and after testing out some rollers to feel how smooth they were I set my bike down next to his. Later on, he got in his tractor to get more dirt, and I went to move my bike- however, he didn't wait for me to move it.
Before I can say anything to him about stopping, I hear a sickening crunch and the sound of my tire popping. My rear triangle broke off, and the whole rear wheel is crushed.

When I talked to him about it later, he agreed (and wanted) to pay in full for what was broken- but later that night his dad called and said that he doesn't believe he's responsible, and at most will pay for half of it.

So my question is, does anyone know who really should be held responsible?
Thanks,
Zack

From this, it sounds like his fault entirely. You put your bike down NEXT to his, therefore, he knew your bike was there. He should have checked his surroundings before starting up the tractor. Its not your job to make sure his path is clear, its his job to do that before he starts moving. Same with in a car.

Posted: Apr 6, 2009 at 18:03 Quote
gottagetanorco wrote:
sigp2000 wrote:
In a way, you and him are responsable, you should have moved the bike before even taking out the tractor, but he should have been watching what he was doing before even backing up. If I were you, I would pay half-half, and then everyone will be happy.

I agree that bikes should be moved before starting up the tractors, but when he gets in he works quick- he was already backing up before I even knew the tractor was on.

Honestly, he's kind of a douche and I just met him pretty recently, I wouldn't mind not being friends with him for making them pay for my bike.

Well, what does your dad say about it? If his dad is getting involved I'd get yours involved... usually adults are more reasonable with other adults when they don't feel like they can intimidate them.

Wait, your OP says he will pay for half... that's the best you can hope for, take it!!!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009592
Mobile Version of Website