What are decent brakes that are cheap but dependable?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
What are decent brakes that are cheap but dependable?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 at 7:13 Quote
Lookin' for better brakes for my bike, tryin to keep the expenses low.

Posted: Apr 8, 2009 at 7:15 Quote
nowt like upgrading your rig fella... what brakes you running right now?

Posted: Apr 8, 2009 at 7:19 Quote
avid j 5's. i got them on my xc rig and there sik. buy them

Posted: Apr 8, 2009 at 7:23 Quote
my number 1 choice would be hayes stroker ride, around 200 bucks

Posted: Apr 8, 2009 at 7:39 Quote
If you want a cheap brake that is mechanical I would highly recommend Avid bb7s I had a set of them on my old hardtail and they performed better than many hydros.. for a cost of about 75 bucks you cannot beat that..
If you are interested, I also have a set of Hayes Stroker Ryde 185/160 for sale.. They were only used for about 3 weeks in January (north Idaho if that says anything, coughsnowcoughcough)sale price would be 150 for the set... They only have a couple scratches on the front lever from being transported in the back of my truck.. message me if interested..

Posted: Apr 8, 2009 at 8:08 Quote
Like Redneckmech said, go with some high end mechanical brakes. Like a BB7 or Hayes MX1's. I am seriously considering going back to mechanical brakes.

Posted: Apr 8, 2009 at 8:25 Quote
nothing more dependable than a XTR v-brake with good cables and a avid ultimate ti leaver. but if you want disks go for bb7's mutch better than most hydros and the most powerfull disk for the money. again tho a bb7 wont work well without a good cable and a good leaver.

Posted: Apr 8, 2009 at 8:30 Quote
hayes el camino's are pretty nice hydros. i've had some on my p2 for 2 seasons and i've had no complaints. they weren't very expensive either.

Posted: Apr 8, 2009 at 8:32 Quote
Pictures if you are interested.. I just uploaded them..

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Apr 8, 2009 at 8:36 Quote
Tektro Auriga Pros are pretty mint for the price. Even the Comps are decent, and they're even cheaper!

http://www.tektro.com/02products/index.php

Posted: Apr 8, 2009 at 8:47 Quote
butch4-0 wrote:
hayes el camino's are pretty nice hydros. i've had some on my p2 for 2 seasons and i've had no complaints. they weren't very expensive either.
I'm interested in the Elcaminos(There only $65!)But I've heard some have issues with them.

Posted: Apr 8, 2009 at 8:50 Quote
StevoFS wrote:
butch4-0 wrote:
I'm interested in the Elcaminos(There only $65!)But I've heard some have issues with them.
my friend has had nothing but problems with the el-caminos, they seem like a very poor quality brake to me. Also, the fact that they are adjustable means that they often go out of adjustment on their own.

Posted: Apr 8, 2009 at 8:58 Quote
bankturn wrote:
StevoFS wrote:
butch4-0 wrote:
my friend has had nothing but problems with the el-caminos, they seem like a very poor quality brake to me. Also, the fact that they are adjustable means that they often go out of adjustment on their own.

I would agree on that.. El Camino's are certainly a brake to avoid. A friend had them for a short while before switching back to avid bb5s.. They do not work well, ie no braking power and poor modulation... Spend the extra money and get stroker rydes or juicy 5s.. Well worth it..

Posted: Apr 8, 2009 at 9:02 Quote
Juicy 5, thread over. Juicy's will be alot better than the Hayes. Checkout pricepoint.com they have them on closeout for the same price.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012375
Mobile Version of Website