Your new AM hardtail: what frame would you buy, what setup?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Your new AM hardtail: what frame would you buy, what setup?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 11, 2009 at 3:54 Quote
I want to buy a new frame for AM but I don't seem to come up with what it is what I want yet. Any ideas?

Posted: Apr 11, 2009 at 3:55 Quote
how much do you have to spend ?

Posted: Apr 11, 2009 at 4:04 Quote
smeckma wrote:
I want to buy a new frame for AM but I don't seem to come up with what it is what I want yet. Any ideas?

Imho this is what u want ^^

NS Bikes Surge

Posted: Apr 11, 2009 at 4:13 Quote
Money is no object, really: What I want is box sections, a cobra headset, and the possibility to have 160mm front travel.

Posted: Apr 11, 2009 at 4:15 Quote
cobra headset, iv never heard that before ?

and the Chameleon can take upto 160 Smile

Posted: Apr 11, 2009 at 4:18 Quote
A cobra headset is when the top tube bends to join the down tube in the front. They call it like that due to the fact bikes look a little bit like cobras poised to strike.

Posted: Apr 11, 2009 at 4:19 Quote
The chamleon has kind of a cobra headset.

Posted: Apr 11, 2009 at 4:20 Quote
ahh sweet, iv seen bikes like that before they look nicee!

Posted: Apr 11, 2009 at 12:28 Quote
smeckma wrote:
A cobra headset is when the top tube bends to join the down tube in the front. They call it like that due to the fact bikes look a little bit like cobras poised to strike.

i think you dreamed up the 'cobra headset' lol. A headset is the cups and bearings that go in your headtube. To be honest mate you shouldnt be choosing a bike purely on the basis it has a joined tt and dt.

Do you want a steel or alu frame also? An alu frame will be lighter but the steel will be more absorbant and tougher.

If you want a frame thats slightly on the more hardcore side the ns surge is pretty good with like a 130mm ish fork.

Posted: Apr 11, 2009 at 14:46 Quote
The surge is one of the frames I have put down on my shopping list, but I want more info before I decide to finnally buy it. The only problem with this frame is it will have me buy a new fork and new wheels as I cannot ride my bike in quick releases any more. So frame + wheels + fork = £700ish, but for this money I could buy a brand new P60 if you come to think of it. Now what? I've still got my Flow Drift, so what I really want is an AM hardtail with 160mm front travel. And this is pretty much what I am thinking like, so I guess I am a bit confused: this is why I am asking.

PS. I did not quite understand what you said about cobra headsets. I know what a headset is, but they still call it cobra headset when the top tube joins with the down tube to form this shape like form I am commenting on to you guys. I know you think I must've dreamed of it, but I am pretty sure I have read about it somewhere (probably some review or video).

Posted: Apr 12, 2009 at 9:39 Quote
smeckma wrote:
The surge is one of the frames I have put down on my shopping list, but I want more info before I decide to finnally buy it. The only problem with this frame is it will have me buy a new fork and new wheels as I cannot ride my bike in quick releases any more. So frame + wheels + fork = £700ish, but for this money I could buy a brand new P60 if you come to think of it. Now what? I've still got my Flow Drift, so what I really want is an AM hardtail with 160mm front travel. And this is pretty much what I am thinking like, so I guess I am a bit confused: this is why I am asking.

PS. I did not quite understand what you said about cobra headsets. I know what a headset is, but they still call it cobra headset when the top tube joins with the down tube to form this shape like form I am commenting on to you guys. I know you think I must've dreamed of it, but I am pretty sure I have read about it somewhere (probably some review or video).

I'm not sure what you mean. If you buy a surge frame you can still use qrs and any 1/8th fork. I would say however a 160mm fork wouldnt be that good. Long travel on a hardtail is pretty unecessary and when unmatched on the rear will really unbalance the bike. My brother has a surge with 130mm forks which is way enough and keeps the handling from being completely raked and sluggish.

A p60 is a pure trails bike and would be rubbish for any sort of 'am' so it's worth buying somthing else better suited even if it costs more.

There definately isnt such thing as a cobra headset, A company would never call the way tubes are wealded together a headset. The only thing i can imagine you are thinking of is that some specialized bikes have cobra headtubes which are wider at the top and bottom where there is greater stress.

Posted: Apr 12, 2009 at 14:32 Quote
Well, it may as well be I am not using the right vocabulary for it, but this is precisely what I was trying to say. It seems like you know more than I do about the subject, so I believe what you say about cobra headsets. Ta.

Posted: Apr 12, 2009 at 14:49 Quote
Get This:
photo

photo

Fox 36 Talus in the front (100-130-160)

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012396
Mobile Version of Website